Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Dualshock controller left thumbstick wear

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Bought the White controller from GameStop few months ago. Left stick is very badly worn. Not going to bother with the hassle of dealing with them or Sony. Picked up the thumb grips from Argos. It's definitely as a result of FIFA.

It's not much of a hastle just say controllers have worn and you want a replacement... If they have white controllers they should replace it on the spot if you have receipt...

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

Just got my two controllers back and I have to say I am very impressed with new controllers

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭shawki

Has this issue been resolved? Picking up a PS4 from argos tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Hey lads will Sony replace the ds4 if warranty is finished?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Fakman87 wrote: »

Go on to the PSN website and arrange the repair there. They don't ask for purchase date, AFAIR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The first warrantys to finish will be in November this year for anyone how bought launch consoles. Nothing to worry about really. Sony may even do a RROD or BLoD deal on it and extend to 3 years. A controller is not as expensive as a console though and gets more abuse so they may see 2 years of heavy use of FIFA players as reasonable.

Anyone I know who does not play FIFA has no controllers issues though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

The first warrantys to finish will be in November this year for anyone how bought launch consoles. Nothing to worry about really. Sony may even do a RROD or BLoD deal on it and extend to 3 years. A controller is not as expensive as a console though and gets more abuse so they may see 2 years of heavy use of FIFA players as reasonable.

Anyone I know who does not play FIFA has no controllers issues though.

I think you mean that the first warranties finished last november. I had my first console in Nov 2013 :o

Lads could anyone who has sent their controller back to sony tell me how you packaged it please? Does it have to be in a cardboard box?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Lads could anyone who has sent their controller back to sony tell me how you packaged it please? Does it have to be in a cardboard box?

Padded envelope should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,850 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I sent mine back in a shoe box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Is there any limit to the number of controllers Sony will replace? My brother has 4 controls for playing FIFA in groups, 3 of the left sticks are worn. Could he send all of these back for replacement?

Lads my friend tried to return his ds4 to gamestop today and they told him the ds4 only has a 3 month warranty now. Is this legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Lads my friend tried to return his ds4 to gamestop today and they told him the ds4 only has a 3 month warranty now. Is this legal?

Pretty sure all small electronic devices have a 1 year warranty under EU law.

A 3 month warranty would be standard in the US though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

No, unless they meant that the replacement would only have a 3 month warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Kaiser84

I bought thumb stick cover caps for my two hardly used ds4s that started to wear. Sony wouldn't help me as I was two months out of warranty.

However, I got the thumb caps on just in time. If the rubber had have been worn away any more, they wouldn't have fit on to the analogue stick. The caps are better for playing FIFA and CoD, so it worked out better.

Got 4 of them from ebay for 6 euro.

Kaiser84 wrote: »
    I bought thumb stick cover caps for my two hardly used ds4s that started to wear. Sony wouldn't help me as I was two months out of warranty.

However, I got the thumb caps on just in time. If the rubber had have been worn away any more, they wouldn't have fit on to the analogue stick. The caps are better for playing FIFA and CoD, so it worked out better.

Got 4 of them from ebay for 6 euro.

If you use the self service support on the Sony website, I don't think it asks for a purchase date, and they'll replace your old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Just noticed my launch controllers one of them now has the left hand stick wear. Only play tlou and gta, so fifa is off the hook!

My R2 button is starting to stick again (replacement joypad from Sony for the same issue). Only a matter of time before I'll have to ring them again. Really need to get a 2nd pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

I got two pads at launch
    One has a left stick wear and the other seems to have a dead zone on the left stick.
    Am I **** out of luck on warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tobothehobo

Well noticed today that one of my launch controllers has thumb stick wear. I'm outta warranty since November so I've ordered some off eBay.
    I've replaced my triggers before and the ds4 is handy to work on so no fear there
    I'll let you know how I get on.

• Advertisement

DeadParrot wrote: »
    I got two pads at launch
    One has a left stick wear and the other seems to have a dead zone on the left stick.
    Am I **** out of luck on warranty?

See post 302, 3 above yours..

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AFreeIrishman

Yeah, as soon as I opened my PS4, i thought 'this is some cheaply made crap' ha. As far as I see it; the last solidly built console was the original Xbox. It's the only console I've ever owned that has never failed (still running 100%)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I've bought the thumb caps just after launch for 4quid on ebay and replaced one of the r2 buttons that's not bad for a year and half of gaming and I have few spares as back up so I don't see it as a major problem, if you need a guide to repairing the controller yourself loads of vids on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TinCanMan

sheehy83 - My R2 button is starting to stick again (replacement joypad from Sony for the same issue). Only a matter of time before I'll have to ring them again. Really need to get a 2nd pad.

WD40 will fix that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bellarabi

It's a very common fault, happens to them all I'm sure. Cheap, easy fix is to buy some joystick coverings / thumb pads for the remote. Not hard to find on amazon.

Another common default is the triggers (the right one usually that you shoot with) will begin to stick if you play shooters a lot (aka when you press the trigger in, it won't come back out as it should). I followed a youtube tutorial as to how to fix it, both my remotes still work fine. Only difference is the triggers are very sensitive as it involves removing springs which provide tension. Might void any warranties too but worth it IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Bellarabi wrote: »
    It's a very common fault, happens to them all I'm sure. Cheap, easy fix is to buy some joystick coverings / thumb pads for the remote. Not hard to find on amazon.

Another common default is the triggers (the right one usually that you shoot with) will begin to stick if you play shooters a lot (aka when you press the trigger in, it won't come back out as it should). I followed a youtube tutorial as to how to fix it, both my remotes still work fine. Only difference is the triggers are very sensitive as it involves removing springs which provide tension. Might void any warranties too but worth it IMO.

The replacement triggers come with springs the are just as cheap as the thumb pads I've replaced some of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

The rubber on my DS4 has started to wear. Its still very usable in fairness, but if I send it away now will they replace it?
    and how long does it take

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

what's the best way to go about exchanging a PS4 controller? it's not working properly and it was bought from Argos less than 12 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Has anyone here actually sent away for a replacement. My DS4 is no suffering from sticky R2 and worn out thumbsticks

• Advertisement

Cormac... wrote: »
    Has anyone here actually sent away for a replacement. My DS4 is no suffering from sticky R2 and worn out thumbsticks

Yeah, I did. After 7 months, my original DS4 R2 button was sticking. They sent me a replacement joypad after 2 weeks. The replacement one, 7 months old now has the same problem, sticking R2 button. Used their Auto repair link to arrange collection of this joypad now before Witcher and Batman come out.

Here is the link to arrange collection without ringing them.

https://hardware.support.eu.playstation.com/?smcid=rma_forum_22270313_uk_en#/

Advertisement