Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Dualshock controller left thumbstick wear

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Yeah, I did. After 7 months, my original DS4 R2 button was sticking. They sent me a replacement joypad after 2 weeks. The replacement one, 7 months old now has the same problem, sticking R2 button. Used their Auto repair link to arrange collection of this joypad now before Witcher and Batman come out.

Here is the link to arrange collection without ringing them.

https://hardware.support.eu.playstation.com/?smcid=rma_forum_22270313_uk_en#/

Sound, wasn't sure if it was gonna be a long wait.
    I bought it in September so I'll wait until a little later when I have no use for the 2nd pad.

I bought it in a B&M Gamestop, should I just go straight to Sony, or back to Gamestop?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Cormac... wrote: »
    Sound, wasn't sure if it was gonna be a long wait.
    I bought it in September so I'll wait until a little later when I have no use for the 2nd pad.

I bought it in a B&M Gamestop, should I just go straight to Sony, or back to Gamestop?

Oh, I'd go straight back to the shop and try there first. You should have a 1 year warranty on peripheral's but I'm sure shops will say whatever they can to avoid replacement. If that route doesn't work, Sony should replace it but will be waiting 2-3 weeks to get it back.

DS4 gone back to Sony again for R2 button sticking, hopefully it doesn't take as long as last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Sent mine off two days ago, lets see how long it takes

phill106 wrote: »
    Sent mine off two days ago, lets see how long it takes

What was wrong with your one?

• Advertisement

What was wrong with your one?

left thumbstick wear, rubber is nearly gone at the top. Happened to both controllers at nearly the same time, so sending one off first, then will return second after first one is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tobothehobo

http://m.ebay.ie/itm/321626053140?txnId=1427476133011
    I ordered these a while back and got them yesterday.
    I fitted a pair to one of my controllers and they are perfect
    And a piece of piss to fit definitely the best option if you ask me. Especially if your out of warranty.

left thumbstick wear, rubber is nearly gone at the top. Happened to both controllers at nearly the same time, so sending one off first, then will return second after first one is back.

Arrived back 2 days ago, must send the other one off now :)

Arrived back 2 days ago, must send the other one off now :)

Feck sake, I haven't heard anything about mine yet. Did you get any email correspondance or anything?

Feck sake, I haven't heard anything about mine yet. Did you get any email correspondance or anything?

Id ring them if i were you!

Hi XXXXX,

Thanks for contacting us about your PlayStation product. We’re sorry that you’ve had a problem and we’re happy to help you. Before we get started, your returns reference number is XXXXXXX, just in case you need to contact us again.

Now, we just need you to do two things:

1. Check that we have the correct information about you and your device:

Name:

XXX

Address:
    XXXXX
    E-mail Address:

XXXXX

PlayStation Model :

DS4_BK

PlayStation Serial Number:
    XXX

For console returns: If your console was supplied with a hard disk drive, please make sure that the original drive that was supplied with the console is included as we’re unable to replace or return any unofficial components. Also, please let us know if you’re unable to remove any discs or memory cards from your console before sending it to us.

Unfortunately, if the model and serial numbers above don’t match those on the PlayStation you send us, we won’t be able to help. So if any of these details are wrong or if there’s something within your console that you can’t remove, please give PlayStation Support a call on 01 691 7379.
    2. Print your return shipping label and send us your PlayStation product.

To return your PlayStation product to us you’ll need to print off a shipping label. Please click on the link below for your shipping label, as well as important instructions on how to package and return your console.

XXXX

If you don’t have a printer or you’d prefer to receive your shipping label in the post, please click on the link below.

Please note - once you click on the link below you will no longer be able to print out the shipping label yourself.

XXXX

If these links don’t work, please copy and paste the URLs into your web browser.

We’ll be back in touch if we need further information from you, or when your repaired / replacement product is ready to be returned to you. We will aim to send back your PlayStation product as soon as possible. Please, note that this could take up to a maximum of 21 days from the day the product is returned.

If you have any other queries, take a look at our forums, support articles or give us a call on 01 691 7379.

Thanks,

PlayStation
    Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited
    http://eu.PlayStation.com/
    Registered office: 10 Great Marlborough Street, London W1F 7LP
    VAT Registration: GB 760973993

• Advertisement

Yeah that's the only email I got from them as well. Yupp, gonna give them a ring see what's going on. I just hope they still acknowledge the R2/L2 spring issue as a known issue and not physical damage.

Edit: Actually, forgot you sent yours off 2 days before mine. Will wait for the post on Monday and ring them then.

Got my DS4 back this morning, week and a half not too bad. Now, to use R2 as little as possible...

Got my DS4 back this morning, week and a half not too bad. Now, to use R2 as little as possible...

seems to be just L2 was the issue!

Well this is twice they have covered my R2 button. Strange though, first time they gave me a brand new DS4. This time it looks like I got refurb. Everything works fine on it but it has a different serial number and some scratching on the back. It was completely dead so need to charge it and test the battery.

If it goes again, I'm just gonna do the youtube fix on the trigger buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

my thumbstick and r1 button are fecked after a month of bloodborne. time to get them replaced!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Hey all, just want to check before ringing them up, are Sony replacing/repairing launch DS4's that are having the thumbstick wear issues? I've tried the online repair link but it just says it's out of warranty, wondering if people have had any luck calling them up?

You should try ringing them and claiming it's a known issue recognised by Sony so it should be fixed for free but They probably won't because they'll say it's out of warranty. Worth a shot before forking out money.

You should try ringing them and claiming it's a known issue recognised by Sony so it should be fixed for free but They probably won't because they'll say it's out of warranty. Worth a shot before forking out money.

Yeah, I will give them a go and report back. I've ordered some grips online in the meantime. Really disappointed with the build quality (although it was fine until Rocket League came out haha)

Do, will be interested to see what they say. I worked for sony support for their laptops before and if one had a known issue, they would sometimes repair the issue if it was out of warranty if enough fuss was kicked up. No guarantee tho.

Yupp, they are the best controllers I've ever used but build quality is a bit doo doo.

Just an update on this. I originally tried ringing them and couldn't get through, so sent an email explaining the issue and that it was out of warranty. They just replied with a link to their online repair form which says it was out of warranty, so no luck there.

Tried again today, got through straight away and they took my details and said they will be in touch with information on how to arrange a pickup for repair. The fella didn't ask for my serial number or even ask if it was in warranty, so I'm still a bit sceptical that they will fix it (free of charge at least). Fingers crossed again.

• Advertisement

Wow, didn't even ask for the serial number.... that guy was definitely on his way out the door!

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Wow, didn't even ask for the serial number.... that guy was definitely on his way out the door!

Just checked my email, and it has become apparent why. He just sent me a link to the online form again haha. Will have to call up again this evening or tomorrow, and be more clear with them. I should also read up about this min 2 year guarantee thing to see if it's applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Anyone know have they fixed the issue? As in if I were to buy one now would it hold up better than the originals?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Batesy wrote: »
    Anyone know have they fixed the issue? As in if I were to buy one now would it hold up better than the originals?

They have changed them. I bought a white controller in November and the rubber feels alot harder than the rubber on my launch day controller.

Can't tell if it's any better as I have no issues with my controllers. My thumbs tend to slip off the harder stick though so I tend to stay with the old controller.

No luck on getting them to replace/repair the issue for free once it 's out of date unfortunately. Worth trying to ring them up of course, but I didn't get anywhere with them unfortunately.

Crap, it's not right when the issue is such a known one.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Crap, it's not right when the issue is such a known one.

Yeah, that's what frustrates me most about it. I wouldn't mind getting another controller, but doing it now almost feels like I'm rewarding them for their lack of quality control. Got the grips in the post today, so hopefully they can help to slow down the wear and tear for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Benzino wrote:
    Yeah, that's what frustrates me most about it. I wouldn't mind getting another controller, but doing it now almost feels like I'm rewarding them for their lack of quality control. Got the grips in the post today, so hopefully they can help to slow down the wear and tear for a bit.

Where'd ye get the grips? Cheers

sweetie wrote: »
    Where'd ye get the grips? Cheers

I got these.

You can probably get them cheaper on eBay, but they took a month to deliver. Got the above within 5 days via Parcel Motel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Benzino wrote: »
    I got these http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GH7UA32/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

You can probably get them cheaper on eBay, but they took a month to deliver. Got the above within 5 days via Parcel Motel.
    I clicked on that link and didn't read anything and seen this one click order button, I don't use Amazon much, and then a screen popped up saying your order is on its way! Will they just post them now??

Advertisement