Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Dualshock controller left thumbstick wear

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

.ak wrote: »
    What? So essentially they won't replace your controllers, just one in essence? That's surely not right.

Yeah they where looking for the whole lot to be sent back and give me a refund which is no good to me as they have no stock to replace the gamer pack!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ah I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

jenjenten wrote: »

I bought this pack and it arrived yesterday. Its great value. You get 4 thumbgrips and 2 skins for the controller. Well worth it to avoid the wear and tear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

n32 wrote: »
    I bought this pack and it arrived yesterday. Its great value. You get 4 thumbgrips and 2 skins for the controller. Well worth it to avoid the wear and tear

What is the feel of the thumbstick pads like ,are they nice to the touch and grippy ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

What is the feel of the thumbstick pads like ,are they nice to the touch and grippy ?.

I got 2 different sets and they have different textures. they dont make using the DS4 any harder to use. After an hour or so you would forget they are even on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

n32 wrote: »
    I got 2 different sets and they have different textures. they dont make using the DS4 any harder to use. After an hour or so you would forget they are even on

I got these ones as a tester and they seem fine...

A little prickly to touch but you get used to them....

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/331076197185?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭3206jake

Gamestop chaged my controller today,Got a nice red one to:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ollieohyeah

L1 button sticking a lot. Nightmare when playing FIFA online. Anybody have this issue?

L1 button sticking a lot. Nightmare when playing FIFA online. Anybody have this issue?

My L1 was sticking to,just brought it back today cause the rubber was coming off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,344 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Take the controller apart, remove the button and clean it as well as the thing it clips on to. Mine is fine now.

You can follow a guide on youtube to take it apart, it's simple and you'll have it done it 10 minutes.

• Advertisement

3206jake wrote: »
    My L1 was sticking to,just brought it back today cause the rubber was coming off

Did they replace it for you? My rubbers seem to be fine. Only L1 sticking. Wonder would they replace it for that alone.

Thanks OAT23: Might try taking it apart myself. Worried ill be left with parts missing. Old PS3 pads I could never get the springs on the back buttons back on properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Don't take the whole thing apart. Just get a butter knife and pop the r1 or l1 off by putting the knife between the r1 and r2 buttons and working the button off. It's really easy.

Clean the white powder residue off the 2 prongs inside the controller and pop the button back in place.

My R1 was sticking pretty bad when playing FIFA. All sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 snf99

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭AGoodison

3206jake wrote: »
    Gamestop chaged my controller today,Got a nice red one to:D

Which gamestop? And how worn was yours? One of mine is worn but not too bad. The other has worn where it now has a small tear at the side. Much hassle with returning it?

Thanks for the help guys. Tried popping the L1 button out and cleaning it. Seems to have done the trick :) now back to flying by people online :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

I got something very similar from Ebay and they are terrific.

AGoodison wrote: »
    Which gamestop? And how worn was yours? One of mine is worn but not too bad. The other has worn where it now has a small tear at the side. Much hassle with returning it?

It was GS castlebar,It was a bit torn,was no hassle at all,changed it straight away,I have to post my other one back to GS.co.uk,my second controller wasn't to bad but is getting worse,I emailed them and they said it was common,I ordered tumb grips,won't use the new controller till they arrive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

****ing circle button is sticking now :/

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cen92

Tried bringing my controller back to Smyths in Waterford and they are claiming that the warranty only covers the console itself and not any accessories such as controllers etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Did you ask to speak to the manager there ? Because everything that comes in the box should be covered by warranty. The manual likely say's what is covered. It's not a wear and tear item or consumable and is essential for the PS4 to operate. They can't just say it has no warranty. You might get a quicker result from Sony on this but seeing as you contract is with Smyths, if they refuse you I would take these morons to the small claims court on principle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Cen92 wrote: »
    Tried bringing my controller back to Smyths in Waterford and they are claiming that the warranty only covers the console itself and not any accessories such as controllers etc...

I was in Smyths Limerick yesterday with my left thumb stick worn controler. They were very helpful. Phoned head office etc but refused to take it back. They said it was wear and tear and I should contact Sony.
    Which I did, and subsequently sent it away for test and if it is found to be faulty they will send out a replacement.
    Will report back here how it goes.

Hang on a second . I know one of the managers in there and he told me that they have changed 3 controllers since launch day because of thumbstick wear. I had this chat with him last week.

Go back.

Will do! He said that they had a couple of Xbox One controllers returned but never heard of the PS controller thumbsticks being worn quickly/faulty.

Will do! He said that they had a couple of Xbox One controllers returned but never heard of the PS controller thumbsticks being worn quickly/faulty.

Lol. Look at the display ps4 in front of his games counter .The left controller is very worn and the right controller is perfect. When I noticed this (while playing the Octodad demo) this is what started the conversation I had with him about the controller wear issue. :P

Give it sock mate.

Any retailer that says it's wear and tear is trying it on. The product is not fit for purpose if the rubber disintegrates and you can't use the controller accurately. It's clearly a fault. If it's not a fault or if it's wear and tear, are Sony/retailer therefore admitting that their thumb grips are designed to only last a few weeks play ? And if so, why is the retailer not selling replacement thumb grips and why do you have to take apart your controller and hence void your warranty if you fit replacement thumb grips.

I'd have very strong words with the manager of the store and if they are not at least willing to return it to Sony on your behalf for testing (or you could do it yourself), follow up with a letter to the shop and head office first though. Then it's small claims court time.

Incidentally do these thumb cap yokes actually prevent wear and tear on the actual thumb grips underneath ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sh0cker

Guys, anyone know what the story is when dealing with gamestop.ie? The rubber on the controller I got from there has split right down to the plastic... I sent them an email last week but have yet to get a response.

Your contract is with the retailer. The fact they don't normally sell consoles or games is of no relevance to you. If they can't offer a repair or replacement then the only other remedy is a refund. You DO not have to deal with Sony as your contract is not with them.

Saw this posted on Reddit. Might be useful to know!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

Saw this posted on Reddit. Might be useful to know!

lol...you beat me to the punch :o

Advertisement