Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Dualshock controller left thumbstick wear

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Cen92 wrote: »
    Saw this posted on Reddit. Might be useful to know!

Dam work has me blocked, what does it say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Dam work has me blocked, what does it say?

Sony Responds To DualShock 4 Wearing & Tearing

Over the last couple of weeks, we’ve asked you to tell us whether or not your DualShock 4 controllers were suffering from wear and tear, even splitting on the edges of the analogue sticks. In the end, our poll gave some quite surprising results.

Of over 6,000 votes, 37.52% of respondents reported some form of wear and tear, with 9.95% suffering from the rubber splitting. Taking those results at face value would indicate that millions of controllers are affected.

We reached out to Sony for a statement on the issue, and their response to our figures was as follows:

A very small number of users have reported to us that the rubber surface of their Wireless Controller DUALSHOCK®4′s analogue sticks have torn.

Although the rubber material of the analogue sticks fulfils our quality assurance standard, we will inspect individual DUALSHOCK®4 controllers experiencing this symptom, and will replace them with new ones for free as long as they are within the warranty.

While we would disagree that practically 1 in 10 controllers is a small number, even taking into account the potential variance of a polling sample, the message here is that if your DualShock 4 suffers from this then you need to exercise your warranty rights. Getting in contact with the retailer you purchased from and/or Sony will enable you to get a free replacement.

For now, it’s business as usual and this is being dealt with on a case-by-case basis. We’ll just have to wait and see whether it develops any further.

I was in Smyths Limerick yesterday with my left thumb stick worn controler. They were very helpful. Phoned head office etc but refused to take it back. They said it was wear and tear and I should contact Sony.
    Which I did, and subsequently sent it away for test and if it is found to be faulty they will send out a replacement.
    Will report back here how it goes.

Courier arrived this morning with a brand new replacement controller from Sony.
    5 day turnaround including the weekend. Not too shabby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Thats fair fast sent mine friday but looked up the tracking and its only left Ireland this moring heres hoping sony fly through the process both of my controllers were goosed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I asked the guys in Gamestop about this after seeing some premature wear elsewhere.

I was in that "Marvel Room" in BT at christmas looking for presents (fwp, right?) and I saw they had a PS4 set up in the corner. The controller was out of juice but I was shocked to see the thumbstick rubber had worn away to the plastic stick underneath.

The gamestop lads said they hadn't any issue and I put it down to some toddler (probably named Oisin and with a double barrelled surname - ouch) having chewed on it while mummy decided on Chanel or Gucci.

The PS4 is worrying me though. Noisy drive, no multimedia playback from my external HDD (something the PS3 was used a LOT for) and now the 60 euro controllers might not stand up to regular use.

• Advertisement

Thats fair fast sent mine friday but looked up the tracking and its only left Ireland this moring heres hoping sony fly through the process both of my controllers were goosed

Left Ireland?
    Where did you send it to?
    I sent mine to Amiens St, Dublin. It was there the next morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Returned mine to Gamestop. They gave me 3 options. They return it to Sony on my behalf, I return it to Sony, or I ring Sony, get a reference number, and the shop replace it there and then. I went with option3. Got replacement an hour later.

So if anyone has a dodgy DS4, just ring Sony, tell them the problem and ask for a reference number so the shop can replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

^ and your replacement will just wear down again over time, this is a manufacturing issue!....Sony wont admit to it because millions would want a replacement. They will deny deny....nut behind the scenes they will quitely reformulate the rubber mix or make adjustments at the factory on the QT.

It will take a few months fr things to trickle down.....i'd say by June we'll see a new controller revision on the QT....probably highlighted by a batch number change.

Yep Sony Uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I popped two sets of covers on my DS4's, as a precaution. I used the ORB ones. Cheap, worked perfectly and added only a little extra bulk.

31Z8XJBOVdL.jpg

• Advertisement

Otacon wrote: »
    I popped two sets of covers on my DS4's, as a precaution. I used the ORB ones. Cheap, worked perfectly and added only a little extra bulk.

31Z8XJBOVdL.jpg

I put exactly the same on my new controller tonight. Did you fit the concave or convex ones ? I went with the concave, a good bit wider and higher than the convex and feel very comfortable. Hopefully this will help with the problem of the rubber wearing/splitting and if it doesn't I will just keep returning the controller for a replacement.

Eventually Sony will fix the issue as another poster said, but I wonder why it has not affected everyone. Is it because only some controllers have this fault or perhaps they all do and the issue is more likely related to your playing style,

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭AGoodison

Flaccus wrote: »
    I put exactly the same on my new controller tonight. Did you fit the concave or convex ones ? I went with the concave, a good bit wider and higher than the convex and feel very comfortable. Hopefully this will help with the problem of the rubber wearing/splitting and if it doesn't I will just keep returning the controller for a replacement.

Eventually Sony will fix the issue as another poster said, but I wonder why it has not affected everyone. Is it because only some controllers have this fault or perhaps they all do and the issue is more likely related to your playing style,

I think it's the kind of games people are playing. If I'm playing cod or fifa the controller gets more pressure put on it. If I'm playing assassins Creed it's much more relaxed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I have four Controllers,all without sign of the wear problem . I am going to put on covers though as a precaution before any wear starts. €1.87 for 5 sets is a small price to pay for the protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

L1 and R1 are sticking a bit... for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

L1 and R1 are sticking a bit... for me

Haven't tried it, but looks handy out :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3ow8QE2v30&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I have four Controllers,all without sign of the wear problem . I am going to put on covers though as a precaution before any wear starts. €1.87 for 5 sets is a small price to pay for the protection.

Do you have a link?

sugarman wrote: »
    What games do you play and how much game time since purchase? Iv only played Fifa and for 40hrs since new, nothing left of the controller.

I aint actually playing it much at all ,the son and daughter plays it a lot more than me . I'de guestimate at least 30+ hrs per week since launch day . So far the son has clocked up 132 hrs on BF4 online + I have clocked up about 30hrs on Campaign with all the data wipes and restarts and probably about 50 hrs on Resogun . The Daughter has about 30+ hrs on Dont Starve.

" http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/soldier/bleedin-rapid/stats/921704228/ps4/ "

AGoodison wrote: »
    I think it's the kind of games people are playing. If I'm playing cod or fifa the controller gets more pressure put on it. If I'm playing assassins Creed it's much more relaxed.

Thats a total cop out im sorry I have my ps3 about 3 years and have probaly played every possible kind of game on it and my controller is still perfect !

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Ash_

Left Ireland?
    Where did you send it to?
    I sent mine to Amiens St, Dublin. It was there the next morning.
    sugarman wrote: »
    Sony HQ in the UK I presume.

Thats where i've been asked to send mine having called their Irish customer support number.

My controller started to show wear and tear last week. :( I first emailed Sony Ireland, I was told to ring this 0818 365065 number. The person took my details and gave a reference number and said to send the controller to an UK address (Watford) along with the reference number. I was hoping for a quicker solution ... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭AGoodison

Thats a total cop out im sorry I have my ps3 about 3 years and have probaly played every possible kind of game on it and my controller is still perfect !

I'm not giving it as an excuse for Sony. I'm saying that the way the controller is flawed at the moment it's much more noticable when playing certain games. The ps3 controllers suffered from having no grip after a certain amount of time. If your controller is still perfect I'd love to see a pic of it.

Ash_ wrote: »
    My controller started to show wear and tear last week. :( I first emailed Sony Ireland, I was told to ring this 0818 365065 number. The person took my details and gave a reference number and said to send the controller to an UK address (Watford) along with the reference number. I was hoping for a quicker solution ... :(

Told me the same, but the shop said they would sort it if I had a reference no and they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

The analog sticks on my PS4 have not worn out but I find them very slippery. I can't relax with them or get a reassuring grip. Are all those thumbstick caps the same ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Fieldog wrote: »

Im just bring the pad back to game stop and they can replace it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ryanmatty

Brought mine back today and gamestop replaced it for me

Did anyone who sent there controllers to Sony get anything back yet

My brothers two pads have worn through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

Got mine exchanged in Smyths (Jervis) today no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

anyone who got exchange ones, how are they holding up? Especially people who got swapped out directly by Sony?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

12309252113_e60f6e020d_c.jpg

I got these off of eBay for €2.40. Hard to comfort with the first while using them but now I couldn't imagine using my controller without them. And they're specially made to fit onto a PS4 controller thumbstick.

Advertisement