Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Dualshock controller left thumbstick wear

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

cadete wrote: »
    Only a problem for some, to paint it as a problem everyone has is bad form imo

Maybe I missed a post, but I wasn't aware of any poster here suggesting it was a problem everyone has had. But do you think users who have experienced problems, give a crap if 1 or 1,000 member's had a problem? The OP had the good sense to start the thread and highlight a potential issue. As result, those of us unfortunate enough to have had an issue, have no doubt found this thread to be very helpful. I wasn't even aware until now, that you could get replacement covers for the thumbsticks.
    cadete wrote: »
    also in the whole of this thread how many people have had the problem?

I might have missed one or two, but a quick count suggests 15.9% of posters here have had a problem. My four PS3 controllers remain unblemished after all these years. So Sony is obviously doing something wrong with the build quality of their PS4 controller. Especially if gamers are reporting issues after just 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

If you buy off of GameStop online can you walk into a store and return it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If it's bad return it but the best you seem to be able to get until Sony change either the material or the manufacturing process is sticks that bald but don't wear down.

If you've got one that's still the right shape and just want a bit more texture as it's gone smooth, tape a bit of either electrical or masking tape to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Buy kontrol freakz. They cover the stick and make them taller. Can be got on amazon or http://www.kontrolfreek.com
    I used there own website and were delivered in 6 days from the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dunnie1982

I went into Xtra-Vision today about my worn controller and the girl behind the counter had not came across the problem before, I explained it was happening with a lot of controllers and Gamestop and Smyths are replacing them so I would expect Xtra-Vision are doing the same. She made a phone call to head office and then told me to bring back in receipt for the PS4 and the damaged controller and she replaced it immediately. Very good service and no hassle at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Dunnie1982 wrote: »
    I went into Xtra-Vision today about my worn controller and the girl behind the counter had not came across the problem before, I explained it was happening with a lot of controllers and Gamestop and Smyths are replacing them so I would expect Xtra-Vision are doing the same. She made a phone call to head office and then told me to bring back in receipt for the PS4 and the damaged controller and she replaced it immediately. Very good service and no hassle at all.

I mainly play single player and hop between 2 controllers on my Ps4

I had a slightly different issue with my DS4's, last Friday my L2 button kind of stuck when held, on closer inspection it was the little hinge inside had come loose so it kept staying stuck when pressed on the pad....

I went to GS with receipt and was told to contact Sony to report it and then they would replace it - rang Sony last week and they gave me a reference number to bring to GS, also told them I can see the hinge in the second controller was on its way also, so they said they would replace under warranty, last night the second one went!

GS were nice to deal with and the manager lady helped me out, good customer service from her, 2 new controllers and I'm back in action....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

will power city replace my pad its happening to me now too :(

really dont want to send the pad of for 7-10days when i just bought infamous :(

biggebruv wrote: »
    will power city replace my pad its happening to me now too :(

If they stock them they may, ask them if you call Sony and get a reference number will they replace - they are the retailer who sold it to you, your contract lies with them....

Edit : get some of these - http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/231200172513?nav=VI

Fieldog wrote: »
    If they stock them they may, ask them if you call Sony and get a reference number will they replace - they are the retailer who sold it to you, your contract lies with them....

Edit : get some of these - http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/231200172513?nav=VI

Cheers

I rang powercity helpline they just gave me a number for sony in uk i think it was

When i rang them they said send it out and we will look at it

Is there an irish sony number i can ring and ask for reference number ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

Cheers

I rang powercity helpline they just gave me a number for sony in uk i think it was

There's a place on amien Street, Dublin 1 that replaces them when faulty phone 0818 365065 for details

Cheers

The number I rang was 016917379...

I think it went to the UK or US, was a foreign chap I got on the phone, he tried telling me to send it back but I explained the retailer in Ireland can do it with a Sony referrence number...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Just came across this, bought my console in Smyths, the original controller stick (left side) is completely worn, Its just plastic, bought a second one in game stop two weeks ago and the same thing is happening. Must bring these back but the new ones will probably be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 RayMers

Anyone know what harvey Normans stance I'm this is, bought my ps4 there and both of my pads are starting to wear.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 40 LimeTimee

Get kontrol freeks

LimeTimee wrote: »
    Get kontrol freeks

I got a set myself and there great !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I got a set myself and there great !!

Where did you get them from mate?

Where did you get them from mate?

I ordered direct from kontrol freaks in the US. I got four sets for €20-€30 I think including shipping. I kept one set for myself and gave one to my brother and two cousins as something small for Christmas.
    I ordered about 3 weeks before Christmas and they arrived in 7/8 working days. Which was pretty impressive considering time of the year !!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 LimeTimee

Amazon is £13 and free delivery that's where I'm buying mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Lads... Why are you all so keen to get rid of your cash...These are fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

I emailed amazon regarding my left analog stick (the rubber has come totally off on the lefthand side) and they told me to get in contact with sony as its a known problem. Weird thing is that this happened with the controller i received with the console and they refunded me straight away without even having to send it back but this time on my second controller they are directing me to sony. There must be a lot of complaints.

Anyone have any issues getting through to Sony?

jones wrote: »
    I emailed amazon regarding my left analog stick (the rubber has come totally off on the lefthand side) and they told me to get in contact with sony as its a known problem. Weird thing is that this happened with the controller i received with the console and they refunded me straight away without even having to send it back but this time on my second controller they are directing me to sony. There must be a lot of complaints.

Anyone have any issues getting through to Sony?

Took me a half hour to get through to them, look through the thread, there is a place of Sony's on Amien street that will exchange them....

Just an update i am on my eight controller now, gamestop replace each time no problem ,the guy said there was a palet full of faulty ones shrink wrapped ready to ship back to sony.so its a big fault .revised version on the way i hope 😠

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

tteknulp wrote: »
    Just an update i am on my eight controller now, gamestop replace each time no problem ,the guy said there was a palet full of faulty ones shrink wrapped ready to ship back to sony.so its a big fault .revised version on the way i hope 😠

Eight!!! What are you doing with them. I find it very hard to believe that you managed to get 8 faulty DS4s. I don't know anyone who has got a PS4 since launch to have a dodgy DS4. If the problem was that bad it would be on gaming sites all over and the only place I have seen this issue raised is here on Boards.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I also find it hard to believe. While I don't doubt this is an issue I've 2 of them used daily and no problems at all. Also not heard or seen any friends controllers with the issue.

Maybe you should stop going to the same gamestop if they received a faulty batch...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Eight!!! What are you doing with them. I find it very hard to believe that you managed to get 8 faulty DS4s. I don't know anyone who has got a PS4 since launch to have a dodgy DS4. If the problem was that bad it would be on gaming sites all over and the only place I have seen this issue raised is here on Boards.:confused:

8 is a bit unbelievable. I have two that are badly deteriorated. The left analogue is a joke ill bring them back to Sony and buy a couple of sets of covers. Don't understand why after the first or second issue someone wouldn't buy a set from amazon. The time and hassle involved in exchanging them that often is ridiculous

I know it's a joke, I'm on 8 control at moment 7 faulty gone back all left thumbstick, rubber worn through to plastic underneath, I can get covers but why should I? There's a known fault here. I only play fifa and ghosts, waiting for pes to be released, I never had issues with ps2 or ps3 controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I know it's a joke, I'm on 8 control at moment 7 faulty gone back all left thumbstick, rubber worn through to plastic underneath, I can get covers but why should I? There's a known fault here. I only play fifa and ghosts, waiting for pes to be released, I never had issues with ps2 or ps3 controls.

Do you leave your controllers on the floor and your dog un-attended in the room?

Seriously just go to a different shop that received different stock. Nobody in my area that I know has had the issue. I google it and it's an issue but it appears it's only in some particular areas. So save yourself the hassle and just go elsewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I have four controllers that where used fairly heavy .None of them had signs of wear before I put on the thumbstick covers I posted above...as a precaution.

My bro has gone through 3 pads already and he needs to change them again. He does not really play that much. He is a big hamhanded clumsy dope .

I am on two minds on whether or not the wear problem is down to playing style or bad product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I am on two minds on whether or not the wear problem is down to playing style or bad product.

I reckon the DS4 "problem" is a combination of both. The only part of a controller I ever wore out was the X symbol on the first non analog PS controller from playing so much GT with the endurance races. And the playing style is becoming evident from people going through multiple controllers very quickly, they must be getting hamfisted to death, lol.

Advertisement