Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Dualshock controller left thumbstick wear

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I reckon the DS4 "problem" is a combination of both. The only part of a controller I ever wore out was the X symbol on the first non analog PS controller from playing so much GT with the endurance races. And the playing style is becoming evident from people going through multiple controllers very quickly, they must be getting hamfisted to death, lol.

I got two controllers and I do play a lot more lately. I don't see any signs of wear at all. It's really a weird issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I've had the left thumb stick split recently. Bought console from smyths at launch anyone know there procedure for warranty on these? Do I just bring the controller and they swap it for a new one?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

iamtony wrote: »
    I've had the left thumb stick split recently. Bought console from smyths at launch anyone know there procedure for warranty on these? Do I just bring the controller and they swap it for a new one?

Yeah controller and receipt, if you can ring sony before hand they will give you a reference number to give to the shop to sort it i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Yeah controller and receipt, if you can ring sony before hand they will give you a reference number to give to the shop to sort it i think.

Great thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

Its a known issue with one particular batch i got the gamer deal from amazon with the ps4 so had two controllers that i used equally (charged one while used the other) and one of them the left analog stick fell apart very quickly. Sony replaced said controller and its perfect now as is my other one that has a lot of wear since launch day. They were very interested in batch numbers though and once i called out mine its was "fixed" free of charge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

How does getting my controller replaced work if I got it from amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

just picked up a 2nd ps4 with some slight wear and tear on the thumbsticks. What's a guy to do?

Contact Sony I guess or try bluff the lads in GameStop?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

just picked up a 2nd ps4 with some slight wear and tear on the thumbsticks. What's a guy to do?

Contact Sony I guess or try bluff the lads in GameStop?
    if you have receipt go straight to gamestop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

I've had this problem. Very disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

if you have receipt go straight to gamestop

Ya I've no receipt, I need another controller anyway so I was thinking of buying one then marching in two weeks after and saying "me bleeding thumbsticks are goosed" hoping to get the required reaction that way.

Hate being a sneaky bollix though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Ya I've no receipt, I need another controller anyway so I was thinking of buying one then marching in two weeks after and saying "me bleeding thumbsticks are goosed" hoping to get the required reaction that way.

I once robbed the code out of a COD4: GOTY Edition case to download the variety map pack. My Dad wouldn't put any money on my account with his card and I don't think they did PSN cards back then.

Could sleep for weeks but you'll get over it trust me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Send in an elderly relative instead, I've been considering doing the same as well. My controller is perfectly fine but it has lost the textured finish but no real loss of shape or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jordan5497

I bought my PS4 last December and a few months ago the rubber started peeling off the analog and gradually became worse. I read that Sony are offering replacements under warranty. So, I was wondering how do I go about getting a replacement controller? I have my receipt from Smyths, still.

Edit: Only option is to send it away for 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Call smyths?

Call smiths?
    They ain't open yet.

Anyone know? I'm calling Sony now.

I imagine sony will tell you to contact the retailer first.

cloud493 wrote: »
    I imagine sony will tell you to contact the retailer first.
    Yeah, I don't particularly trust this Smyths, I always seem to have an issue with them. I'm just going to ask Sony and then ask them for a reference number to give to Smyths.

I'm not sure exactly what the warranty on a DS4 is, but I'm sure it'd be longer than 3 months. I'd get in touch with sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,850 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

These are the covers I got.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/5-Pairs-Black-Joystick-Thumbstick-Caps-PS3-PS4-Xbox-360-Game-Controller-Hot-/111237786679?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item19e649ec37

They feel sweet and fit nice and snugg,even on the DS3 .They do not really add more height ,just make the thumbstick feel more substantial,

I'm gonna get more .For €1.87 for 5 pairs you can't go wrong.

ps, They took 2.5 weeks to get here.

Sound man just ordered these, cost me €1.03 so really can't go wrong. My left thumbstick split at the weekend so only a matter of time before coming off and really can't do without it for 10 days. I might log a ticket with Sony to get their response anyway and see what they say. I got the PS4 on launch from Gamesnash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Sound man just ordered these, cost me €1.03 so really can't go wrong. My left thumbstick split at the weekend so only a matter of time before coming off and really can't do without it for 10 days. I might log a ticket with Sony to get their response anyway and see what they say. I got the PS4 on launch from Gamesnash.

Wow...their even cheaper now.

I love the feel from them.

Wow got some shyte response from sonys email support. Went into detail about how the rubber on the thumbstick was splitting and they replied giving me 2 links for troubleshooting. 1 link tells me all the buttons on the ds4 and what they do. The other link shows me how to connect a ds4 to the ps4. Also gave me a ph no to ring and further 'troubleshoot'. Guess I'll be ringing them Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭AGoodison

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Wow got some shyte response from sonys email support. Went into detail about how the rubber on the thumbstick was splitting and they replied giving me 2 links for troubleshooting. 1 link tells me all the buttons on the ds4 and what they do. The other link shows me how to connect a ds4 to the ps4. Also gave me a ph no to ring and further 'troubleshoot'. Guess I'll be ringing them Monday.

Ring them. Get a reference number. Bring them back to the store you purchased it from and they'll change it right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

These are the covers I got.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/5-Pairs-Black-Joystick-Thumbstick-Caps-PS3-PS4-Xbox-360-Game-Controller-Hot-/111237786679?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item19e649ec37

They feel sweet and fit nice and snugg,even on the DS3 .They do not really add more height ,just make the thumbstick feel more substantial,

I'm gonna get more .For €1.87 for 5 pairs you can't go wrong.

ps, They took 2.5 weeks to get here.

Just ordered a set of these for my 360 controller which has major wear after a few years of use. Thanks a mil.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭spockpower

Been on hold to the support line now for half an hour. :mad::mad::mad:

Just got my thumbstick caps from china. Big duuurty curly pube stuck to the bag :pac:

Can't be mad paying €1.03 though.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/111237786679?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I got my third DS4 replaced since launch, L2 or R2 seems to snap on me after a while!

Last time I got it replaced I got a blue one in the hope that its from a newer batch of them and won't happen again....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Both myself and a friends left stick are starting to really wear now,htf did Sony miss this?

Must have been feck all testing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

EoinHef wrote: »
    Both myself and a friends left stick are starting to really wear now,htf did Sony miss this?

Must have been feck all testing

You not get them replaced where you got your PS4?

Mmm...

Blue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Fieldog wrote: »
    You not get them replaced where you got your PS4?

Mmm...

Blue

Got the console in wexford and i live in dublin so is a bit of trek,but i reckon thats the route im gonna go down. While the ebay caps look ok and do a decent job id rather sony simply gave me a controller without this problem. If they had of play tested for a few weeks everyday they surely would have noticed. Pretty poor from sony imo

Advertisement