Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Dualshock controller left thumbstick wear

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dunnie1982

I've worn out the left thumbstick on all 3 controllers I've had so far, one was replaced by Xtra-Vision & the other 2 I swapped out the sticks with some Xbox One sticks today. The Xbox One sticks are a little smaller & a little higher, but I like the feel of them so far and they don't seem to slip from under my thumb like the original PlayStation ones do & they fit perfectly.

Original
    a5Yj1e4.jpg

With new sticks
    azB2Jop.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Fair play Dunnie. If the problem isn't fixed by the time I buy next year I'll be doin the same.

The Xbox controller is class in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I got 2 controller and same problem on one of them. I also got sticky trigger issues but that's also a known problem.
    I think I still got the receipt so i'll bring back to Gamestop, if not I'm gonna use this stuff on it. It worked a treat on my PS3 controllers :)

wpid-Sugru-primary.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,850 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Aw man, last night my R2 button started sticking, gets stuck half way and won't come back up. Tiny chew mark from where my dog got his mouth on it for 2 seconds. Was blaming him but even if it is the known issue, I doubt it would be handled in warranty now with the marks. Time to get the screw driver out.

Edit: after looking at youtube issues, it is definitely bad design, gonna give em a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I lobbed my controller onto the couch last week and it landed square(pun?) on the R2 button. Now it gets stuck and when it does it kinda comes out at a slight angle.

Pain in the hole.

Though on a side note, I picked up the set of 5 thumbstick cover for €1.03 or there about, great price and work a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I lobbed my controller onto the couch last week and it landed square(pun?) on the R2 button. Now it gets stuck and when it does it kinda comes out at a slight angle.

Pain in the hole.

Though on a side note, I picked up the set of 5 thumbstick cover for €1.03 or there about, great price and work a treat.

Link ?

Link ?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-Pairs-Black-Joystick-Thumbstick-Caps-for-PS3-PS4-Xbox-360-Game-Controller-Hot-/111237786679?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:IE:3160

I got them as well, definitely worth the euro!

I rang Sony and they want me to send the joypad straight in, didn't even ask me how old it was, to fix the wear on the thumbstick and stuck R2 button. I told em about the teeth marks from the dog and they said it will be up to engineers to decide if that caused the issue or not and whether they will charge me to repair it.

Having previously worked for Sony Vaio support, I'm not optimistic :(

Dunno WTF I'm gonna do without a controller for 2 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Chicken Doughnut

My right trigger (R2) keeps getting stuck in the halfway position. I mostly use my PS4 for shooters at the minute, and it seems the spring has worn down already. Works fine in CoD and Battlefield and even my first playthrough of The Last of Us, but on my second playthrough, it's now a nightmare for me to fire a gun, something that almost got me killed! I got a second controller, but I don't wanna have to use that just to play one game :( And I don't wanna trade in TLOU because I love it and am trying to build a gaming collection. Great....

Sorry for the long rant.

Since you have 2 DS4's, send the other back to Sony for a free repair of the trigger. I love the DS4, so much better than DS3 but 2 known issues within a week of each other is just shoddy.....SHODDY TED! A BUNCH O COWBOYS!

My joypad was collected by the courier Friday. Anyone here had theirs repaired and can tell me how long it took to get it back? I noticed it is going to Dublin, was fully sure it would be going to the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TinCanMan

My right trigger (R2) keeps getting stuck in the halfway position. I mostly use my PS4 for shooters at the minute, and it seems the spring has worn down already. Works fine in CoD and Battlefield and even my first playthrough of The Last of Us, but on my second playthrough, it's now a nightmare for me to fire a gun, something that almost got me killed! I got a second controller, but I don't wanna have to use that just to play one game :( And I don't wanna trade in TLOU because I love it and am trying to build a gaming collection. Great....

Sorry for the long rant.

I had the same issue with the R2 sticking and it was quickly sorted with a spray of WD40 in behind the button.

TinCanMan wrote: »
    I had the same issue with the R2 sticking and it was quickly sorted with a spray of WD40 in behind the button.

Oh man, wish I would have tried that before sending mine off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Tried to get my controllers replaced in GameStop on Henry St today with my receipt. Flat out refused to replace either of the pads as it was only "wear and tear" and was still "functional". On one pad the rubber is peeling off the left stick in layers with the centre almost completely worn through, on the other one there is a small chunk of rubber missing in the centre of the right stick with the rubber worn smooth. I know the second one is marginal for a replacement, but I would rather get it sorted while still under warranty.

Will call Sony and get some reference numbers so I can go back and wave them in their smug faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Tried to get my controllers replaced in GameStop on Henry St today with my receipt. Flat out refused to replace either of the pads as it was only "wear and tear" and was still "functional". On one pad the rubber is peeling off the left stick in layers with the centre almost completely worn through, on the other one there is a small chunk of rubber missing in the centre of the right stick with the rubber worn smooth. I know the second one is marginal for a replacement, but I would rather get it sorted while still under warranty.

Will call Sony and get some reference numbers so I can go back and wave them in their smug faces.
    I tried to get my controller replaced in smyths recently and they handed me a leaflet with the policies of goods like this and they will only entertain you in store within 28 days after that you have to contact sony who will organise collection of your controller for repair or replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

How are Harvey Norman on this issue, I've been holding out. Only controller so if it means sending to sony I'll prob just bear with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

I've heard there's a new batch of controllers that aren't affected. Apparently the R2 not squeaking is a sign of the new batch. Any truth to that?

I've heard there's a new batch of controllers that aren't affected. Apparently the R2 not squeaking is a sign of the new batch. Any truth to that?

Don't know, but the rubber on my brothers ds4 which came with his Destiny bundle on Saturday is a lot harder than mine was.

I doubt the R2 not squeaking is a sign of the new batch though as neither of my launch pads have squeaky triggers, but do suffer from bad rubber wear.

My R2 button squeaked since launch, didn't think much about it until now. Sony have my joypad since last Monday, hoping to hear something soon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

sheehy83 wrote: »
    My R2 button squeaked since launch, didn't think much about it until now. Sony have my joypad since last Monday, hoping to hear something soon.

I assume you mean, "hoping not to hear something soon."

F1ngers wrote: »
    I assume you mean, "hoping not to hear something soon."

1345647700623.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

Don't know, but the rubber on my brothers ds4 which came with his Destiny bundle on Saturday is a lot harder than mine was.

I doubt the R2 not squeaking is a sign of the new batch though as neither of my launch pads have squeaky triggers, but do suffer from bad rubber wear.

That's true.

I just got my destiny bundle so I'm a bit wary of these problems. Good to know about the sticks feeling harder.

Well fair play sony, just got a brabd new ds4 in the post this morning. No email or call, completely unexpected. To the PS4!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Well fair play sony, just got a brabd new ds4 in the post this morning. No email or call, completely unexpected. To the PS4!

Did you send them your old one, how long wee you waiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Starting to notice a small tear in left stick from launch controller.The shop I got mine no longer sells the ps4

On hold for the past 15 mins :(

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Did you send them your old one, how long wee you waiting?

Yupp sent the old one 2 weeks ago 29th aug. They sent out a courier to collect it. Dog teeth marks in it didn't phase them anyway, brand new one this Morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

If I was to bring my control into Xtra Vision would they just replace it there and then?

sugarman wrote: »
    BT?

Yep. I ended up getting through to Sony and they emailed me my return label. However they messed up the address!

I used to work there. The PlayStation 4 was a once off for them. You're better off going directly to Sony about it. That's why I did.

Bump. Got a replacement white pad today. Below are some comparison shots of the new and old thumbsticks. Sorry if the quality is crap, but there is actually a visual difference. Both are brand new, unused pads.
    Old
    322905.jpg
    New
    322907.jpg
    It mightn't be clear but on the newer white pad the thumbstick has a much rougher surface than the blue one which has the older thumbstucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

It really should be a recall at this stage. Show your receipt and get a new pad.

Advertisement