Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital Shadowing

Options
  • 27-12-2013 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi,
    I'm thinking of applying to study medicine next year. Does anyone know any hospitals that allow shadowing? Or any other way I could gain experience of a hospital? I'd love to get some real experience before deciding for sure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

person78 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm thinking of applying to study medicine next year. Does anyone know any hospitals that allow shadowing? Or any other way I could gain experience of a hospital? I'd love to get some real experience before deciding for sure.

There's a couple of threads on this forum where mature applicants were looking for experience http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=832

From what I have seen hospitals tend to only let medical students shadow, probably as they are indemnified by their home medical schools. I could be wrong, but that's what I have see thus far.

Do you know of any consultants that you could ask? That seems to be the easier way to happen, eg a friend of your family/friend of a friend/neighbour/someone you babysit for? I've known people get shadowing through all those routes a little more easily than going through the hospital, but most were medical students.

You could always ask your GP (or local GP) if you could sit in with them for a few sessions. They can then ask the patient if they mind you sitting in on the consultation. The vast majority do allow you to stay in, but obviously it is their prerogative to say no. The GP may also ask you in advance to step out if they know the patient well, and have an idea what they are in for.

Alternatively would you be interested in volunteering in hospitals, would also stand to you on your application if going the mature route. I don't have details but some charities do have volunteers in some hospitals, you could check with the various Foundation offices within the hospitals. Oh and you may need Garda vetting - you are vetted on entrance to medical school, and this holds for electives, but need to be vetted again before applying for intern positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

I have being trying to get to some thread regarding hospital care, I have spent the last hour trying to get one suitable, this one may not be appropriate, maybe some Mod could put it in the proper slot. A friend of mine went into Wexford hospital today, he was there for some hours, for some tests. The man is in his seventies, we met with a few others for a few pints this evening. He got a bit anxious with his arm, then took off his coat and found the needle still stuck in his arm. Where do go from this.

I have being trying to get to some thread regarding hospital care, I have spent the last hour trying to get one suitable, this one may not be appropriate, maybe some Mod could put it in the proper slot. A friend of mine went into Wexford hospital today, he was there for some hours, for some tests. The man is in his seventies, we met with a few others for a few pints this evening. He got a bit anxious with his arm, then took off his coat and found the needle still stuck in his arm. Where do go from this.

Probably best to contact the hospital directly. They can advise whether it is best to return to them or attend his GP. Most A&Es are still 24 hours - here are the A&E numbers 053-9153313 and 053-9153347.

Abby19 wrote: »
    Probably best to contact the hospital directly. They can advise whether it is best to return to them or attend his GP. Most A&Es are still 24 hours - here are the A&E numbers 053-9153313 and 053-9153347.

He has already sorted that out, But where does that leave the medical profession. That was in a vein in his arm, it could have being him bleeding to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ibebanging

Bleeding to death ? Total rubbish, guess it was removed and covered with a dressing or plaster.
    It's a plastic cannula in the vein not a needle.
    Jesus what a drama queen !

• Advertisement

ibebanging wrote: »
    Bleeding to death ? Total rubbish, guess it was removed and covered with a dressing or plaster.
    It's a plastic cannula in the vein not a needle.
    Jesus what a drama queen !

Could you please explain. No dressing, plaster holding it in place. why leave it there Doctor.

Could you please explain. No dressing, plaster holding it in place. why leave it there Doctor.

I'd imagine they forgot to remove it. Dosent sound like he was in any danger, a tiny puncture in a vein is not a big problem.

person78 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'd imaging there would be issues in relation to Garda vetting and patient confidentially before you could be even considered, as OP mentioned usually only reserved for approved providers and training such as medical, nursing, paramedic etc

I'd imagine they forgot to remove it. Dosent sound like he was in any danger, a tiny puncture in a vein is not a big problem.

Doctor, do you not think it is time to bring in some quality control in our hospitals, after all we have quality control in our dealings with animals. Maybe that would be a step too far for the medical profession.

OP - Cannulae are designed to be left in the arm for a period of time to make it easier to draw blood or give medications without having to use a needle each and every time. If medically indicated they are safe to be left in the vein for up to 72 hours.

Your friend didn't seem to notice that it was in his arm or he could have flagged it to one of the medical personnel before he left the hospital. And if it was in the crook of his arm and his sleeve was pulled down then it would not have been easily visible to healthcare staff. It sounds as if your friend is sorted and is fine, as he only noticed it in the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

If your friend wishes to pursue this, they should contact the complaints dept/corporate affairs dept of the hospital.

Note for those who say cannulae are for taking blood - they're not though it makes the job easier but they really should be taken out if you're not giving medications through them.

It's the responsibility of staff to know where the line is and to take it out before a patient leaves, that's why the site and size of a line is documented in the patient's notes. Cannulae are hospital property!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 person78

Abby19 wrote: »
    There's a couple of threads on this forum where mature applicants were looking for experience http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=832

From what I have seen hospitals tend to only let medical students shadow, probably as they are indemnified by their home medical schools. I could be wrong, but that's what I have see thus far.

Do you know of any consultants that you could ask? That seems to be the easier way to happen, eg a friend of your family/friend of a friend/neighbour/someone you babysit for? I've known people get shadowing through all those routes a little more easily than going through the hospital, but most were medical students.

You could always ask your GP (or local GP) if you could sit in with them for a few sessions. They can then ask the patient if they mind you sitting in on the consultation. The vast majority do allow you to stay in, but obviously it is their prerogative to say no. The GP may also ask you in advance to step out if they know the patient well, and have an idea what they are in for.

Alternatively would you be interested in volunteering in hospitals, would also stand to you on your application if going the mature route. I don't have details but some charities do have volunteers in some hospitals, you could check with the various Foundation offices within the hospitals. Oh and you may need Garda vetting - you are vetted on entrance to medical school, and this holds for electives, but need to be vetted again before applying for intern positions.

Thanks for your reply Abby19.
    I have applied to St. James hospital for their volunteering programme so hopefully that will work out.
    Unfortunately I don't know any consultants at all.. And, as I am applying to universities in the UK, some of the applications and interviews require shadowing days specifically as well as as volunteer work and general work in a caring environment.
    I will also try local GP.
    Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Doctor, do you not think it is time to bring in some quality control in our hospitals, after all we have quality control in our dealings with animals. Maybe that would be a step too far for the medical profession.

It shouldn't have been left there, but jesus if there was something sticking out of his arm why didn't he ask somebody?

Things like this happen when people are working 24-48 hours without sleeping. And saying things like he could bleed to death is ridiculous.

Advertisement