Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathgar Road Resident Parking Permit

Options
  • 27-12-2013 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all
    I live in Rathgar road D6, im looking to buy a car, and apply for a resident parking permit, but the building where i live has no parking spaces and on the road there is double yellow line and bus lane.
    If i apply for the permit can i use somewhere lets say in a small street not too far from my house? i know that when u apply you have to provide the address where you live but can i apply for a permit in an other street not too far from my house?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I live on a small street with as many parking spaces as there are houses. Mysteriously, people who do not live on the street managed to get permits to park here, which is a real PITA as one of them dumps his car here for weeks at a time and no-one knows where he lives - at least with neighbours if there is some jiggling about to be done parking-wise, we can knock on a door.

Short answer, yes it seems it is possible, without regard to the people who live in the small street.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭fi314

My parking permit has 2 streets named: the one I reside on and the next street. I think this is the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You will find some streets link Frankfort Avenue are grossly over-subscribed, while others like Kenilworth Square are barely used.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I used to live in Rathgar right in the village where there was no on street parking. There is a small DCC operated car park just off the village by the tennis club. I went into the DCC offices on Wood Quay and asked if it would be possible to get a parking permit for that car park.

What they did was check to see if any precedent had already been set by someone who either used to live in my apartment or if any of my neighbours have had been granted a permit for that car park. None had so the person I was speaking to just said it is highly unlikely I'll get the permit but to apply anyway. A couple of weeks later I was told application approved :)

I would imagine that your problem is going to be that you can't apply for a parking permit unless you have bought your car and registered to the address you live at. I had the same problem and when I rang and asked them hypothetically could I get permit they couldn't tell me either way. I needed a car so went ahead and bought one knowing that I might have had to park a good bit away(5-10 mins walk) from my apartment on a road with free parking 24/7.

Best thing to do is ring the parking permit section of DCC and hopefully you get through to someone helpful (I found it very hit or miss!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lawloreoghan

Hi
    I know it's been abit since you have posted this but I have similar issue but before I apply for the resident parking im looking for some where with free parking in rathgar/Rathmines area to leave my car till my application goes through, haven't purchased my car yet but need some parking 1st,you mention somewhere 5/10 mins from rathgar village, could you tell me where this is or of any othe free parking in the area, I live on rathgar road

Thanks

Eoghan
    I used to live in Rathgar right in the village where there was no on street parking. There is a small DCC operated car park just off the village by the tennis club. I went into the DCC offices on Wood Quay and asked if it would be possible to get a parking permit for that car park.

What they did was check to see if any precedent had already been set by someone who either used to live in my apartment or if any of my neighbours have had been granted a permit for that car park. None had so the person I was speaking to just said it is highly unlikely I'll get the permit but to apply anyway. A couple of weeks later I was told application approved :)

I would imagine that your problem is going to be that you can't apply for a parking permit unless you have bought your car and registered to the address you live at. I had the same problem and when I rang and asked them hypothetically could I get permit they couldn't tell me either way. I needed a car so went ahead and bought one knowing that I might have had to park a good bit away(5-10 mins walk) from my apartment on a road with free parking 24/7.

Best thing to do is ring the parking permit section of DCC and hopefully you get through to someone helpful (I found it very hit or miss!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Hi
    I know it's been abit since you have posted this but I have similar issue but before I apply for the resident parking im looking for some where with free parking in rathgar/Rathmines area to leave my car till my application goes through, haven't purchased my car yet but need some parking 1st,you mention somewhere 5/10 mins from rathgar village, could you tell me where this is or of any othe free parking in the area, I live on rathgar road

Thanks

Eoghan

Zion road is where I used to park. May not be free parking anymore though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lawloreoghan

Cheers for getting back to me, I'll check it out, may have changed alright since
    Zion road is where I used to park. May not be free parking anymore though?

Advertisement