Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Guardian's top 100 players of 2013 mod warning post#23

• 27-12-2013 3:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2013/dec/100-greatest-footballers-2013

Always interesting to look at this, still some bizarre decisions like last year.

Most of it is subjective, but there are a few things that I can't agree with in any way.

1) Suarez should definitely be higher than Neymar.

2) Xavi doesn't deserve to be as high as 8th anymore, he's still very good but he's declined quite a bit imo.

3) No way Buffon is the 24th best player in the world. I think they're assuming that just because Juve have become a very good team again over the last few seasons, that Buffon is near what he used to be. He is still good but not at that level anymore.

4) Pique the highest rated central defender only behind Thiago Silva = LOL. Pathetic rating, easily the worst. There's an array of CBs that are comfortably better. Pique should win an award for being the most overrated CB in the history of football!

I'm sure there are others laughable decisions that people will see, but they're the ones that stood out for me at first.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

The amount of mediocre players they had higher than Javi Martinez is a joke. Cabaye and Paulinho are higher than Hazard and Martinez.

I agree Xavi is too high, but I think that Neymar above Suarez is a judgement call. Neymar had an outstanding year, and on the very biggest stage, while Suarez' numbers are better.

Can't believe I missed Frank Lampard's presence too. Ranked ahead of Javi Martinez. Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Stupid list, as always, will do its job though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

0 irish players or did i miss one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Hazard down in 100th? Behind Paulinho, Etoo, Cabaye, Michu, Pique, even bloody Marcelo?

I know it's hard to compare players in different positions, but jesus, Marcelo? Should never be on that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Kagawa ahead of Sanchez? Surely the numbers would state otherwise. Same can be said for Xavi, I'd have Vidal ahead of him. I presume they had a similar list last year, so with that in mind I'd have Ronaldo as number one. He's had by far a much better year than Messi for both international and domestic, imho. Especially considering Bale's rank!

Also Martinez and Hazard's positions are both a sin. Both players that deserve better numerals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

Eto'o doesn't belong on such a list, nor Lampard.

Would also have Griezmann on there.

Balotelli and Rossi are also way too high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

dreamers75 wrote: »
    0 irish players or did i miss one?

Phil Babb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Khedira, Mkhitaryan, Błaszczykowski, Draxler, Lars Bender, Joao Moutinho, James Rodriguez and Marchisio all better than a few on that list as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Oh what a mess.
    Pogba is left out for Benzema I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

What an absurd list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I'm sensing the disgust of Liverpool fans that Suarez is not #1 and positions 2 to 10 aren't left blank as a further indication of his awesome-ness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

quarryman wrote: »
    I'm sensing the disgust of Liverpool fans that Suarez is not #1 and positions 2 to 10 aren't left blank as a further indication of his awesome-ness.

Maybe it could just be cause they feel he should be slightly higher than he is based on who is above him. Which is fair enough. But yeah let one comment by the OP decide what all Liverpool fans are thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Awful list really but Suarez is higher than he should be, the fact that the list more or less states that he isn't higher due to his cannibalism but then sticks him in the top ten anyway is a joke. A human being like that shouldn't even be in the top 100 with cannibalism only being one of his flaws . Still amazed that Liverpool made him captain tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

The Guardian are a good media outlet but are still ultimately English, so Suarez at #9 doesn't surprise me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Liamalone wrote: »
    Awful list really but Suarez is higher than he should be, the fact that the list more or less states that he isn't higher due to his cannibalism but then sticks him in the top ten anyway is a joke. A human being like that shouldn't even be in the top 100 with cannibalism only being one of his flaws . Still amazed that Liverpool made him captain tbh.

I give this post five hateful pieces of coal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

You do understand that its their footballing ability and performances that are being ranked, as oppose to their qualities as human beings? Akin to the likes of Gazza, Best & Maradona etc topping similar lists. You may or may not rate them as people, but that's not what this is about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Suarez behind bale lol
    paulinho on the list
    Ozil better than robben

all in all a joke list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

LiamoSail wrote: »
    You do understand that its their footballing ability and performances that are being ranked, as oppose to their qualities as human beings? Akin to the likes of Gazza, Best & Maradona etc topping similar lists. You may or may not rate them as people, but that's not what this is about

As I said, the list mentions his flaws and factored those in yet still placed him high up. I was saying if they are taking that into account he should be way lower imo.

If based on footballing ability alone be should be higher up that list for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

This kind of post really shows you up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: If this thread turns into some childish series of digs then any poster seen as trying to provoke others will be getting a ban.

There are plenty of posters who may want to discuss the merits of the list without attempting to wind others up, and their use of this thread is not going to be hampered by people trying to start hassle through taking a deliberately provocative stance for or against a player or team.

There are a number of posters who seem to be going out of their way to wind up others in the forum over the past few days, it has been noticed, and any of those who get caught breaking the forum rules will have their track record of the past few days taken into account when bans are handed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

At least they got number 1 correct :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Joke list but sure what do you expect, a lot of footballers are there on past merit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Only 32 better footballers on the planet than Balotelli!!!!!!

Isco at 94 is the biggest joke of all. He's a better player than well over half the lads ahead of him on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭rosskind

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Only 32 better footballers on the planet than Balotelli!!!!!!

He had a great first six months at Milan and was excellent at the Confederations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

As I said, the list mentions his flaws and factored those in yet still placed him high up. I was saying if they are taking that into account he should be way lower imo.

If based on footballing ability alone be should be higher up that list for sure.

His flaws are accounted for on the basis of how they effect his performances/contribution. Obviously missing games through bans has a negative impact on his contribution, but the cause of the bans is irrelevant as far as ths is concerned. Whether he's getting bans for abuse, biting, Kung-fu kicks or missed drug test, the end result is the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

4 Barca players in the top 10 and two of them don't deserve to be there this year, Xavi and Iniesta. Busquests on the other hand should, as should Schweinsteiger. Kroos should be higher too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭LOSTfan57

Wheres Bendtner? Total outraged hes missing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Spekaing as a United fan, Kagawa has no place in that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

There's a lot on that list that I wouldn't agree with. As big of a Messi fan I am, and as much as I dislike Ronaldo (though I appreciate his brilliance obv), there is no way Messi should be ahead of Ronaldo this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Pirlo ahead of Vidal for the last 12 months is bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Is Emmanuel Mayuka on the list again this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

BcbrmsDCUAEzYVz.jpg

Marcas list.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    BcbrmsDCUAEzYVz.jpg

Marcas list.

Iniesta and Alonso there are a joke. As is Valdes, he was good but not even the best keeper in his league, let alone the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Iniesta and Alonso there are a joke. As is Valdes, he was good but not even the best keeper in his league, let alone the world.

Who would you have there instead of them? I agree with Valdes but who instead of Iniesta and Alonso? Bale and Ben Watson :p?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Trilla wrote: »
    Who would you have there instead of them? I agree with Valdes but who instead of Iniesta and Alonso? Bale and Ben Watson :p?

Vidal, Schweinsteiger, possibly others. Especially in Alonso's case, 2013 was probably his worst 12 Month spell in years.

Alonso was injured for most of the season. Iniesta was very poor (by his standards) all year. How about that guy who won everything...Schweinsteiger ring a bell? Vidal too. Kroos. Busquets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Alonso was injured for most of the season. Iniesta was very poor (by his standards) all year. How about that guy who won everything...Schweinsteiger ring a bell? Vidal too. Kroos. Busquets.
    Blatter wrote: »
    Vidal, Schweinsteiger, possibly others. Especially in Alonso's case, 2013 was probably his worst 12 Month spell in years.

Wasn't challenging your thoughts just wondering who ppl thought would be there.

Having said that I hate Busquets! Was Iniesta that bad?

• Advertisement

Busquets didn't have an incredibly impressive year either tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

Ramsey being 51 places ahead of Hazard says it all really

Wasn't challenging your thoughts just wondering who ppl thought would be there.

Having said that I hate Busquets! Was Iniesta that bad?
    He's not a likable player, but he's utterly superb. Iniesta has been a shadow of himself, saying that Iniestas shadow is still better than most players but not team of the year, no way.
    Busquets didn't have an incredibly impressive year either tbf.

Yes he did. Obviously as a defensive midfielder he's not going to win Barca a treble, but he was easily their best player after Messi.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

All in all I think it's quite a good list. It's always going to divide opinions given how difficult it is to quantify the value of players who play in different positions and have different tasks and responsibilities in their respective teams but overall I think The Guardian did quite well, I'd only have a few squabbles.

Sergio Busquets is too low. Arguably Barcelona's second best player last season in their record equaling league victory, a key cog in the side that reached the Confederations Cup final and has remained core in a Barcelona side that has made the greatest start ever to a season in Spain. The street fighter certainly warrants higher billing than some of those ahead of him in the list.

Xabi Alonso is too high. Great player, a joy to watch but a distinctly average 2013 in which his Madrid side won nothing and he wasn't part of Spain's unsuccessful bid for the Confederations Cup.

Ramsey and Vidic both certainly too high.

Valdes too low, as is Isco.

Not sure how Eto'o is on the list, while Javi Martinez and Eden Hazard are far lower than they should be, both would be at least top 40 for me.

Other than that I'm, by and large, quite satisfied with it.

Sergio Busquets is too low. Arguably Barcelona's second best player last season in their record equaling league victory, a key cog in the side that reached the Confederations Cup final and has remained core in a Barcelona side that has made the greatest start ever to a season in Spain. The street fighter certainly warrants higher billing than some of those ahead of him in the list.

I will agree to your opinion, but only if you agree that Xavi and Iniesta don't deserve to be in the top 10 this year :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Has hazard been that good in 2013 though. He had a big dip in form 2nd half of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The more stupid these lists are, the more they fulfill their purpose.

In that sense they've nailed it.

I will agree to your opinion, but only if you agree that Xavi and Iniesta don't deserve to be in the top 10 this year :pac:

Sorry I can't have that. I'd agree that, perhaps Iniesta in particular, hasn't been as incredibly brilliant in 2013 as he usually is, however he, and Xavi, were still at the centre of a side that equaled Real Madrid's record point total in their league winning campaign last season, got to the Confederations Cup final, got to a Champions League semi final and have had, statistically, the best start ever to a league campaign in Spain. Now you might say, but they were trashed in the Confederations Cup final and the CL semi final but the facts can't be argued with, while it wasn't as successful a year as previous years, it's still been a successful year than any club would be happy with and at the heart of that has been Xavi and Iniesta, both of whom are still, for me, the best central midfielders in the world.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Has hazard been that good in 2013 though. He had a big dip in form 2nd half of last season.

Yes he has. Brilliant beginning to the season, a quite middle part of the season and then a blistering end to the season culminating in a Europa League win (yes I know he didn't play in the final). The gem of the Belgian side that finished top of their group for the World Cup and Chelsea's star turn this season, the man is electric at the moment.

Sorry I can't have that. I'd agree that, perhaps Iniesta in particular, hasn't been as incredibly brilliant in 2013 as he usually is, however he, and Xavi, were still at the centre of a side that equaled Real Madrid's record point total in their league winning campaign last season, got to the Confederations Cup final, got to a Champions League semi final and have had, statistically, the best start ever to a league campaign in Spain. Now you might say, but they were trashed in the Confederations Cup final and the CL semi final but the facts can't be argued with, while it wasn't as successful a year as previous years, it's still been a successful year than any club would be happy with and at the heart of that has been Xavi and Iniesta, both of whom are still, for me, the best central midfielders in the world.

Goddamit I tried. Can you seriously argue that either have been better than Schweinsteiger, who helped take said midfielders apart in a 7-0 aggregate and went on to win a treble? The facts can't be argued with like you said, he did more and played better. And lets be honest, getting out of a joke group and beating Italy (on penalties) for the Confederations Cup isn't exactly something to brag about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement