Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Guardian's top 100 players of 2013 mod warning post#23

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Sorry I can't have that. I'd agree that, perhaps Iniesta in particular, hasn't been as incredibly brilliant in 2013 as he usually is, however he, and Xavi, were still at the centre of a side that equaled Real Madrid's record point total in their league winning campaign last season, got to the Confederations Cup final, got to a Champions League semi final and have had, statistically, the best start ever to a league campaign in Spain. Now you might say, but they were trashed in the Confederations Cup final and the CL semi final but the facts can't be argued with, while it wasn't as successful a year as previous years, it's still been a successful year than any club would be happy with and at the heart of that has been Xavi and Iniesta, both of whom are still, for me, the best central midfielders in the world.

So the problem with the list featuring 4 Barcelona players in the top 10, a side who were absolutely humiliated by a superior Bayern side that went on to win everything, is that there's not enough Barca players in that top 10?

If it was left to you, you'd have the Barca first 11 in the top 10. The fact that you can't have 11 players in a lost of ten shouldn't be an issue with the logic you're employing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Sorry I can't have that. I'd agree that, perhaps Iniesta in particular, hasn't been as incredibly brilliant in 2013 as he usually is, however he, and Xavi, were still at the centre of a side that equaled Real Madrid's record point total in their league winning campaign last season, got to the Confederations Cup final, got to a Champions League semi final and have had, statistically, the best start ever to a league campaign in Spain. Now you might say, but they were trashed in the Confederations Cup final and the CL semi final but the facts can't be argued with, while it wasn't as successful a year as previous years, it's still been a successful year than any club would be happy with and at the heart of that has been Xavi and Iniesta, both of whom are still, for me, the best central midfielders in the world.

So what you're basically saying is that Xavi and Iniesta deserve to be ahead of Schweinsteiger because they've been part of a team that has beaten all before them (for the most part), until they faced Bayern Munich, who utterly destroyed them and really did beat all before them.

Putting so much weight on team achievements is a pretty flawed way to judge individuals in the first place, but if you are going to go down that road, you're not making much sense rating Xavi/Iniesta higher than Schweinsteiger for the calender year of 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Someone set up a poll and we can have a boards.ie top 100 players of 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Someone set up a poll and we can have a boards.ie top 100 players of 2013.

Yeah which will result in Rooney and Suarez being in the top 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Goddamit I tried. Can you seriously argue that either have been better than Schweinsteiger, who helped take said midfielders apart in a 7-0 aggregate and went on to win a treble? The facts can't be argued with like you said, he did more and played better. And lets be honest, getting out of a joke group and beating Italy (on penalties) for the Confederations Cup isn't exactly something to brag about.

Yes I can. It's debatable and entirely subject whether he played better last season than either Xavi or Iniesta and even more debatable whether he is playing better than either this season.
    LiamoSail wrote: »
    So the problem with the list featuring 4 Barcelona players in the top 10, a side who were absolutely humiliated by a superior Bayern side that went on to win everything, is that there's not enough Barca players in that top 10?

If it was left to you, you'd have the Barca first 11 in the top 10. The fact that you can't have 11 players in a lost of ten shouldn't be an issue with the logic you're employing

I definitely didn't say that, though yes I would move Busquets and Valdes up the list.
    Blatter wrote: »
    So what you're basically saying is that Xavi and Iniesta deserve to be ahead of Schweinsteiger because they've been part of a team that has beaten all before them (for the most part), until they faced Bayern Munich, who utterly destroyed them and really did beat all before them.

Putting so much weight on team achievements is a pretty flawed way to judge individuals in the first place, but if you are going to go down that road, you're not making much sense rating Xavi/Iniesta higher than Schweinsteiger for the calender year of 2013.

I am not saying that judgement of a player should be based on the accomplishments of the club they play for. This happens time and again where people take this subject the wrong way when I bring it up. I believe that a team's success should be taken into account when judging a player, but I also believe that the players contribution towards such success is a big factor in deciding the quality of the player. As such, I believe that Xavi and Iniesta contribute and mean more to Barcelona than Schweinsteiger does to Bayern Munich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Yes I can. It's debatable and entirely subject whether he played better last season than either Xavi or Iniesta and even more debatable whether he is playing better than either this season.
    Well, converse to you, most rational Barca fans actually agree with me. I don't actually think it's debatable at all whether he played better than them last year, as shown when he stomped all over the pair of them in the semi final.

As such, I believe that Xavi and Iniesta contribute and mean more to Barcelona than Schweinsteiger does to Bayern Munich.

The heart of Barca means more than the heart of Bayern? Why's that? If anything, Schweinsteiger does more because there's only one of him, which only furthers my point.

Well, converse to you, most rational Barca fans actually agree with me. I don't actually think it's debatable at all whether he played better than them last year, as shown when he stomped all over the pair of them in the semi final.

The heart of Barca means more than the heart of Bayern? Why's that? If anything, Schweinsteiger does more because there's only one of him, which only furthers my point.

At last viewing, there was certainly 19 other players on the pitch in both games, so to say that Bayern's victory/Barcelona's loss was entirely down to Schweinsteiger or Xavi/Iniesta is wrong.

That is absolutely not what I am saying. I am saying that Xavi and Iniesta contribute and mean more to Barcelona than Schweinsteiger does to Bayern. Not that being in central midfield for Barcelona means more than being central midfield for Bayern Munich.

I am not saying that judgement of a player should be based on the accomplishments of the club they play for. This happens time and again where people take this subject the wrong way when I bring it up. I believe that a team's success should be taken into account when judging a player, but I also believe that the players contribution towards such success is a big factor in deciding the quality of the player. As such, I believe that Xavi and Iniesta contribute and mean more to Barcelona than Schweinsteiger does to Bayern Munich.

My point is that you're putting too much weight on team achievements. If you re-read your initial post which tries to justify Xavi/Iniesta's place on the list, you're pretty much exclusively using Barcelona/Spain's achievements as your justification.
    Originally Posted by Andersonisgod

At last viewing, there was certainly 19 other players on the pitch in both games, so to say that Bayern's victory/Barcelona's loss was entirely down to Schweinsteiger or Xavi/Iniesta is wrong.
    That wasn't my point, my point was that he was integral to that victory.
    That is absolutely not what I am saying. I am saying that Xavi and Iniesta contribute and mean more to Barcelona than Schweinsteiger does to Bayern. Not that being in central midfield for Barcelona means more than being central midfield for Bayern Munich.
    How do they contribute more? You haven't actually explained any of this.

• Advertisement

My point is that you're putting too much weight on team achievements. If you re-read your initial post which tries to justify Xavi/Iniesta's place on the list, you're pretty much exclusively using Barcelona/Spain's achievements as your justification.

Yes I am, however it is obviously implied that both players contributed hugely to those accomplishments.

I thought it's been generally accepted amongst the vast majority of Barca fans that Xavi and Iniesta have dipped form wise, very noticeably over the last 12 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Nobody can ever agree on these lists but there's some baffling decisions, I wonder what a boards one would look like

That wasn't my point, my point was that he was integral to that victory.

How do they contribute more? You haven't actually explained any of this.

That one victory, I'd argue that Messi's lack of fitness was just as integral, or Barcelona' injury problems at the back.

The answer to that is simple. At Barcelona, Xavi and Iniesta symbolise the style of play made famous by the club and adopted by the Spanish national team. Their game is based so heavily on possession, on quick 2 touch/1 touch/half touch passing and on control. Both Xavi and Iniesta have had the club philosophy drilled into them since they were kids, they've come to represent that style of football and that style of football revolves around them. At Bayern, while there is undoubtedly a club ethos and philosophy, I doubt it is a rigid and uncompromising as Barcelona's. What I am saying is that while Schweinsteiger is a terrific player, Bayern Munich is a club that could conceivably sell Schweinsteiger in the morning and find a replacement as their philosophy is more flexible. That is not intended to be an insult towards either the club or the player but I am saying that replacing Xavi or Iniesta would prove considerably more difficult, particularly if that attempt to replace them was to come from outside the club meanwhile at Bayern there is Kroos (a slightly more attacking player but someone who can play the role that Schweinsteiger does), Thiago Alcantara (who can also play that role). So yes, I do believe that Xavi and Iniesta contribute more to Barcelona than Schweinsteiger does to Bayern.

I thought it's been generally accepted amongst the vast majority of Barca fans that Xavi and Iniesta have dipped form wise, very noticeably over the last 12 months?

It is, almost universal bar this guy. There's not a lot of discussion on the Barca thread here, but here's a few:
    Jernal wrote: »
    Xavi wasn't up to the pace of the game at all. He was overrun. Whatever nonsense about philosophy one has you can't espouse it if your player doesn't perform. Sid Lowe's article today was very interesting. This Barca team have rubbish fitness at the moment and it's shown in a few games. Maybe the plan is for them to peak next February but whatever the case Xavi and Iniesta midfield wise aren't the dominant players they used to be. Spain and Barca need them to get rejuvenated or start looking for alternatives. There was a time when Barca dominated games to the point that high pressing tempo was a waste of energy. It just tired teams out. Nowadays, they can't cope with any pressing.
    Jernal wrote: »
    He's arguably been better than Iniesta so far. Iniesta's been sub par so far this season.

And I frequent forums with more active Barca threads, and its universal agreement. Andersonisgod just cannot bear to have anything Barcelona criticised.

It is, almost universal bar this guy. There's not a lot of discussion on the Barca thread here, but here's a few:

And I frequent forums with more active Barca threads, and its universal agreement. Andersonisgod just cannot bear to have anything Barcelona criticised.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Jernal wasn't a Barcelona fan?

• Advertisement

That one victory, I'd argue that Messi's lack of fitness was just as integral, or Barcelona' injury problems at the back.

The answer to that is simple. At Barcelona, Xavi and Iniesta symbolise the style of play made famous by the club and adopted by the Spanish national team. Their game is based so heavily on possession, on quick 2 touch/1 touch/half touch passing and on control. Both Xavi and Iniesta have had the club philosophy drilled into them since they were kids, they've come to represent that style of football and that style of football revolves around them. At Bayern, while there is undoubtedly a club ethos and philosophy, I doubt it is a rigid and uncompromising as Barcelona's. What I am saying is that while Schweinsteiger is a terrific player, Bayern Munich is a club that could conceivably sell Schweinsteiger in the morning and find a replacement as their philosophy is more flexible. That is not intended to be an insult towards either the club or the player but I am saying that replacing Xavi or Iniesta would prove considerably more difficult, particularly if that attempt to replace them was to come from outside the club meanwhile at Bayern there is Kroos (a slightly more attacking player but someone who can play the role that Schweinsteiger does), Thiago Alcantara (who can also play that role). So yes, I do believe that Xavi and Iniesta contribute more to Barcelona than Schweinsteiger does to Bayern.
    You've wasted a post there, this isn't about philosophy, it's about how good the players have been over the past year. Schweinsteiger was the engine behind Bayern, he contributes a hell of a lot to their play and combines that with graft, something that Xavi and Iniesta don't do. Philosophy of play is completely irrelevant, it's about what the players did individually. Schweinsteiger drove his team to a treble, the others didn't.

I can see where you're coming from when you say that Bayern would have an easier time replacing Schweinsteiger than Barca would when it comes to replacing Xavi/Iniesta. I'd agree with that.

However, that fact alone doesn't make them better players than Schweinsteiger in the calender year of 2013.

You've wasted a post there, this isn't about philosophy, it's about how good the players have been over the past year. Schweinsteiger was the engine behind Bayern, he contributes a hell of a lot to their play and combines that with graft, something that Xavi and Iniesta don't do. Philosophy of play is completely irrelevant, it's about what the players did individually. Schweinsteiger drove his team to a treble, the others didn't.

didn't vote on the panel, perhaps it takes into account past accomplishments, I don't know. However I'd argue that one outstanding season shouldn't warrant placement above greats like Xavi and Iniesta and, while Bayern were more successful than Barcelona last season, it is entirely subjective and debatable as to whether Schweinsteiger contributed more to Bayern than Xavi or Iniesta did to Barcelona, personally I think he didn't.

didn't vote on the panel, perhaps it takes into account past accomplishments, I don't know. However I'd argue that one outstanding season shouldn't warrant placement above greats like Xavi and Iniesta

Don't be ridiculous, of course it should. It's about who's been better over the past year, not who's achieved more. By your logic Ryan Giggs should be there.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Jernal wasn't a Barcelona fan?

I don't think he is actually, but he watches most of their games and comes across as very objective, I'm sure you'll agree.

I'm surprised you haven't bemoaned the exclusions of Jordi Alba and Pedro yet! Although tbf, they'd have a good case for being in it over a few that somehow got onto it.

• Advertisement

I don't think he is actually, but he watches most of their games and comes across as very objective, I'm sure you'll agree.

I'm surprised you haven't bemoaned the exclusions of Jordi Alba and Pedro yet! Although tbf, they'd have a good case for being in it over a few that somehow got onto it.

The lack of Jordi Alba was rather surprising but I didn't want to make an issue of it for fear of being accused of bias. Pedro not as much, wasn't great last year but this season he's been excellent.

Don't be ridiculous, of course it should. It's about who's been better over the past year, not who's achieved more. By your logic Ryan Giggs should be there.

Quality of performance in recent years, not just achievements.

Quality of performance in recent years, not just achievements.

1 year. Its done annually.

1 year. Its done annually.

I still think that quality of performance in recent years will have a bearing, not the overiding factor of course but inevitably it will be in the minds of those voting.

I still think that quality of performance in recent years will have a bearing, not the overiding factor of course but inevitably it will be in the minds of those voting.
    I'd say it does, but it certainly shouldn't.

I'd say it does, but it certainly shouldn't.

Well then we've probably discovered why the list is as it is. We can debate whether past performance should play a part, you say it shouldn't, I say it inevitably will, but that's pretty much wrapped that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Well then we've probably discovered why the list is as it is. We can debate whether past performance should play a part, you say it shouldn't, I say it inevitably will, but that's pretty much wrapped that up.

Can I interject here and just ask which Anderson is God exactly? And why isn't he on this list.

I don't see why it's inevitable, but its what's happened. They shouldn't have called it "The top players of 2013" if they're taking other years into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

What on earth is David Luiz doing in the top 50? Oscar ahead of the likes of Gundogan and Kompany is baffling also. Surprised Gerrard and Carrick are not included, especially with Kagawa and even Michu there

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    What on earth is David Luiz doing in the top 50? Oscar ahead of the likes of Gundogan and Kompany is baffling also. Surprised Gerrard and Carrick are not included, especially with Kagawa and even Michu there

Wouldn't have Gerrard there at all, says a lot when Liverpool play better without him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

dnftt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Wouldn't have Gerrard there at all, says a lot when Liverpool play better without him.

Maybe Henderson and Allen should be on it so?

Here, fishy fishies.

mosstin wrote: »
    Can I interject here and just ask which Anderson is God exactly? And why isn't he on this list.

The Anderson in my name refers to former UFC middleweight champion and, arguably, the greatest pound for pound fighter ever, Anderson "Spider" Silva.

Because he's a sublime talent who had a very good debut season at Chelsea, who is the first choice number ten for a Brazil side that won the Confederations Cup at a canter and had been one of Chelsea's best players this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Because he's a sublime talent who had a very good debut season at Chelsea, who is the first choice number ten for a Brazil side that won the Confederations Cup at a canter and had been one of Chelsea's best players this season.

Have to say I agree. Hasn't had the best of starts this season, but seeing the rank of other players on this list, I don't see why he shouldn't be included.

Also, again looking at the logic of some of the players being included in this list I would've included Pogba. He's had a phenomenal season, moreso than Strootman imho.

He was in and out of a Chelsea side who finished a poor third in England and have done little to impress in any competition this year. He had a decent confederations cup. How that puts him ahead of the likes of Alonso, Kompany, Alves and Gundogan, established mainstays in some of the best teams in the world is beyond me. A nice little player but vastly overrated on what he has achieved thus far

He was in and out of a Chelsea side who finished a poor third in England and have done little to impress in any competition this year. He had a decent confederations cup. How that puts him ahead of the likes of Alonso, Kompany, Alves and Gundogan, established mainstays in some of the best teams in the world is beyond me. A nice little player but vastly overrated on what he has achieved thus far

His record in Europe was excellent last season, he had a fine debut season, and his contribution in the Confederations Cup side cannot be underestimated, he's beaten off tough competition to be Brazil's starting number 10 for the upcoming home World Cup, he's tasked with creating, working hard and supplying Neymar and he performs these responsibilities admirably, he's really a sublime talent. Far more than a decent Confederations Cup, he was certainly one of the stand out players in the tournament. His start to this season has been excellent, he's proven himself a Mourinho player.

Alonso was distinctly average last season and he already too high on the list so I'm not sure at all why you have suggested him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

His record in Europe was excellent last season, he had a fine debut season, and his contribution in the Confederations Cup side cannot be underestimated, he's beaten off tough competition to be Brazil's starting number 10 for the upcoming home World Cup, he's tasked with creating, working hard and supplying Neymar and he performs these responsibilities admirably, he's really a sublime talent. Far more than a decent Confederations Cup, he was certainly one of the stand out players in the tournament. His start to this season has been excellent, he's proven himself a Mourinho player.

Alonso was distinctly average last season and he already too high on the list so I'm not sure at all why you have suggested him.

I see you were fighting the good fight for Barcelona players last night.
    Where would you rate the Barca players in top 100 of 2013?

ronjo wrote: »

Barca and Chelsea players would dominate his top 20, even though Barca have been outshone this past year and the less said about Chelsea at the highest level the better. Anyone who thinks Oscar was the 36th best player of 2013 isnt well. There are players who were more important to Chelsea who arent even on the list

• Advertisement

Do you mean the entire squad? It's tough to say because that would mean that I would have to create a whole top 100 myself. If you take The Guardian's top 100, just assume that I agree with wherever the Barcelona is placed unless I mention him in the following list.

Busquets- 10th
    Neymar- 4th
    Xavi- 6th
    Valdes- Listed lower than Buffon, Courtois and Cech, imo should be higher than at least 2 of those if not all 3.
    Jordi Alba- Should be included somewhere in the list, Spain and Barcelona's outstanding left back

And those are my slight gripes, nothing too shocking I hope.

Barca and Chelsea players would dominate his top 20, even though Barca have been outshone this past year and the less said about Chelsea at the highest level the better. Anyone who thinks Oscar was the 36th best player of 2013 isnt well. There are players who were more important to Chelsea who arent even on the list

Brazil's current starting number 10, a treasured position in that country, in the year in which they host the World Cup. Chelsea's starting number 10, ahead of some very talented players. A big part of Chelsea's Europa League victory, third place in the league and, of course, Brazil's conquering Confederations Cup side. A sublime player, who more than merits his place on the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Xavi 6th? A total pisstake even for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Valdes- Listed lower than Buffon, Courtois and Cech, imo should be higher than at least 2 of those if not all 3.

Doesn't deserve to be on this list let alone higher than those 3. Has to be one of the worst keepers to play regularly for a top club ever

H his contribution in the Confederations Cup side cannot be underestimated

You keep banging this drum, but it's an absolutely nothing tournament, so I wouldn't pay much attention to who does what in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I agree Xavi is too high, but I think that Neymar above Suarez is a judgement call. Neymar had an outstanding year, and on the very biggest stage, while Suarez' numbers are better.

The biggest stage, the confederations cup???

• Advertisement

You keep banging this drum, but it's an absolutely nothing tournament, so I wouldn't pay much attention to who does what in it.

You'd swear he performed like Maradona in the competition too. Being a young Brazilian, having a name like Oscar and playing in the hole does not automatically make you the second coming of Kaka. He's yet to even become a surefire starter in an underperforming Chelsea side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Using the fact that he plays in a Chelsea team, for a manager who deems Mata not good enough to play in his team, is not really something I would cling to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Do you mean the entire squad? It's tough to say because that would mean that I would have to create a whole top 100 myself. If you take The Guardian's top 100, just assume that I agree with wherever the Barcelona is placed unless I mention him in the following list.

Busquets- 10th
    Neymar- 4th
    Xavi- 6th
    Jordi Alba- Should be included somewhere in the list, Spain and Barcelona's outstanding left back

And those are my slight gripes, nothing too shocking I hope.

Thanks for your reply. I do find it strange that you have 4 out of the top.6 players in 2013 from them when they were not the best team in 2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Thanks for your reply. I do find it strange that you have 4 out of the top.6 players in 2013 from them when they were not the best team in 2013

some people take this list as more of a best players, than best players of 2013

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The Anderson in my name refers to former UFC middleweight champion and, arguably, the greatest pound for pound fighter ever, Anderson "Spider" Silva.

I always thought you were taking an ironic/sarcastic stab at Man United's Anderson!

You learn something new every day...

On topic: that list is some magical pile of Navaho horse-shít. Seriously. But like all of those lists in whatever context ("The 100 Best Guitarists/Footballers/Boxers/Cars/Films/Albums/TV-Shows, etc. ad nauseum ad infinitum) are designed to do, it has done it; got people talking and generated controversy and debate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement