Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Guardian's top 100 players of 2013 mod warning post#23

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

The Anderson in my name refers to former UFC middleweight champion and, arguably, the greatest pound for pound fighter ever, Anderson "Spider" Silva.
    DazMarz wrote: »
    I always thought you were taking an ironic/sarcastic stab at Man United's Anderson!

You learn something new every day...

He's fighting tonight as well...hopefully getting his belt back too. Should be a great one! *apologies for off topic*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

kryogen wrote: »
    Using the fact that he plays in a Chelsea team, for a manager who deems Mata not good enough to play in his team, is not really something I would cling to.

I'm sorry but have I just seen a poster call into question the football judgement of the 2 time Champions League, 1 time Uefa Cup, 2 time Portuguese League, 2 time Premier League, 1 time FA Cup, 2 time Serie A, 1 time Coppa Italia, 1 time La Liga, 1 time Copa Del Rey, 2010 FIFA Coach of the year winning manager, Jose Mourinho whose coached clubs the caliber of Porto, Chelsea, Internazionale and Real Madrid all while having had a nothing playing career and having worked his way to prominence from a translator to a monumental figure in the world game.

Yet despite all of this, in your comment you make it sound as though he is a foolish figure, a figure whose opinions on football (not only football but on footballers who he coaches on a day to day basis no less!) merits as much weight as yours or my own. If Jose Mourinho deems Oscar to be better suited to his Chelsea team than Juan Mata in certain games and certain situations then I think he has earned the right to make such a decision and not have that decision seemingly be the basis for a poster on a forum to entirely disregard his opinions on all football matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'm sorry but have I just seen a poster call into question the football judgement of the 2 time Champions League, 1 time Uefa Cup, 2 time Portuguese League, 2 time Premier League, 1 time FA Cup, 2 time Serie A, 1 time Coppa Italia, 1 time La Liga, 1 time Copa Del Rey, 2010 FIFA Coach of the year winning manager, Jose Mourinho whose coached clubs the caliber of Porto, Chelsea, Internazionale and Real Madrid all while having had a nothing playing career and having worked his way to prominence from a translator to a monumental figure in the world game.
    Thank you Wikipedia.

I always thought you were taking an ironic/sarcastic stab at Man United's Anderson!

You learn something new every day...

On topic: that list is some magical pile of Navaho horse-shít. Seriously. But like all of those lists in whatever context ("The 100 Best Guitarists/Footballers/Boxers/Cars/Films/Albums/TV-Shows, etc. ad nauseum ad infinitum) are designed to do, it has done it; got people talking and generated controversy and debate.

No, I don't know why that always seems to spring to people's minds when they see my username. I haven't got some mis-placed affinity for Man Utd's Anderson.

And yes I am very much looking forward to Anderson Silva winning back his title tonight (sorry about the off topic message but if people see this then it may stop many more comments questioning my username)

Thank you Wikipedia.

Luckily I know most of those off by heart, though I had planned on putting in a lot more of his individual achievements I thought FIFA Coach of the Year 2010 said enough on it's own.

Luckily I know most of those off by heart, though I had planned on putting in a lot more of his individual achievements I thought FIFA Coach of the Year 2010 said enough on it's own.
    I think we're all aware of who Jose is thanks. Doesn't change the fact that potentially driving out Chelseas best player is stupid though.

I think we're all aware of who Jose is thanks. Doesn't change the fact that potentially driving out Chelseas best player is stupid though.

If the player doesn't suit the system then the player is unnecessary. I am not saying that Mata is necessary and, actually he's done quite well in some games this season, but it's debatable as to whether he is Chelsea's best player (personally I don't think so). There have been many cases down through the years of a coach selling, seemingly, the best player in the squad only to go on and create an even better side without that player.
    Whatever your view, it's debatable and not clear cut. Which is why it's not an issue upon which you can castigate every football opinion and decision Mourinho has and ever will make, as the other poster seemed to do.

If the player doesn't suit the system then the player is unnecessary. I am not saying that Mata is necessary and, actually he's done quite well in some games this season, but it's debatable as to whether he is Chelsea's best player (personally I don't think so). There have been many cases down through the years of a coach selling, seemingly, the best player in the squad only to go on and create an even better side without that player.
    Whatever your view, it's debatable and not clear cut. Which is why it's not an issue upon which you can castigate every football opinion and decision Mourinho has and ever will make, as the other poster seemed to do.
    He hasn't given Mata a chance, and it's not as if Chelsea have been scintillating with his "system" (ie inane boredom) so far. Who is the best player? Hazard maybe, but he's still a bit inconsistent. Mata was utterly brilliant last season, 33 assists. 33! That doesn't exactly happen a lot, and it's an utter shame to see him wasted like this. I hope for his sake he moves on, and most Chelsea fans will cry into their cereal, and rightfully so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Yet despite all of this, in your comment you make it sound as though he is a foolish figure, a figure whose opinions on football (not only football but on footballers who he coaches on a day to day basis no less!) merits as much weight as yours or my own. If Jose Mourinho deems Oscar to be better suited to his Chelsea team than Juan Mata in certain games and certain situations then I think he has earned the right to make such a decision and not have that decision seemingly be the basis for a poster on a forum to entirely disregard his opinions on all football matters.

The point has gone sailing above your head has it?

He hasn't given Mata a chance, and it's not as if Chelsea have been scintillating with his "system" (ie inane boredom) so far. Who is the best player? Hazard maybe, but he's still a bit inconsistent. Mata was utterly brilliant last season, 33 assists. 33! That doesn't exactly happen a lot, and it's an utter shame to see him wasted like this. I hope for his sake he moves on, and most Chelsea fans will cry into their cereal, and rightfully so.

Take him in a heart beat, ridiculous treatment of such an immense talent

• Advertisement

Take him in a heart beat, ridiculous treatment of such an immense talent

Isn't it just? And to think we (Arsenal) were so close to him just before he went to Chelsea.

Cazorla Ozil and Mata isn't overkill, is it?

:pac:

The point has gone sailing above your head has it?

Oh no, the point was quite clear as was the implication of your comment. Some of us are not quite so confident to imply that our opinions are more important than Champions League winning coaches however, I'm sure Mr. Mourinho would find you entirely enlightening and your opinions a revelation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Juan Mata won Chelsea's Player Of The Year twice in a row. With good reason. He has been simply incredible for Chelsea since he arrived. Terrific attitude too. Seems like one of the genuinely sound, decent guys playing football today.

He is absolutely a joy to watch when he's playing. And he would walk, no, STROLL into 99.999999% of teams in the world today. Any of the top teams in England (United, City, Arsenal, Liverpool, etc.) would snap him up and he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet. Germany? Ditto. Italy? No problemo. Spain? Maybe not at Barca (because they have more #10's than Chelsea) but everyone else, yeah. Including Real Madrid.

Any team in the world would have him and would snap Chelsea's hand off to get him. I'm as confused as anyone at the treatment. Can't understand it at all. But then again, I'm not sitting on a plethora of trophies. In José we trust, and all that.

I'm still sorry to see Mata getting the shaft like he's getting, but if it's for the greater good and if it means that Mourinho is gradually shaping Chelsea into a team that will become conquerors, then so be it...

Oh no, the point was quite clear as was the implication of your comment. Some of us are not quite so confident to imply that our opinions are more important than Champions League winning coaches however, I'm sure Mr. Mourinho would find you entirely enlightening and your opinions a revelation.

As I said, the point went sailing over your head. You have confirmed that with this post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Juan Mata won Chelsea's Player Of The Year twice in a row. With good reason. He has been simply incredible for Chelsea since he arrived. Terrific attitude too. Seems like one of the genuinely sound, decent guys playing football today.

He is absolutely a joy to watch when he's playing. And he would walk, no, STROLL into 99.999999% of teams in the world today. Any of the top teams in England (United, City, Arsenal, Liverpool, etc.) would snap him up and he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet. Germany? Ditto. Italy? No problemo. Spain? Maybe not at Barca (because they have more #10's than Chelsea) but everyone else, yeah. Including Real Madrid.

Any team in the world would have him and would snap Chelsea's hand off to get him. I'm as confused as anyone at the treatment. Can't understand it at all. But then again, I'm not sitting on a plethora of trophies. In José we trust, and all that.

I'm still sorry to see Mata getting the shaft like he's getting, but if it's for the greater good and if it means that Mourinho is gradually shaping Chelsea into a team that will become conquerors, then so be it...

the way i feel about Mata atm is the same as many Chelsea fans, blind faith in Mourinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Where's Seamus cafu Coleman?

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

It's clear from this list that some of the writers have too much of a fetish for Serie A.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

Is it true that Vidal of Juve and Chile didn't make the 100? If so I find that incredible

marbless wrote: »
    Is it true that Vidal of Juve and Chile didn't make the 100? If so I find that incredible

Why don't you take a look, specifically around number 26

Far too low for him of course

http://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2013/dec/100-greatest-footballers-2013

• Advertisement
Advertisement