Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 wk old puppy with blood in his poo

• 27-12-2013 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi wondering if anyone can help I got a pup aweek ago and I noticed he rubbed his butt along the floor so I gave him a worm dose and no everytime he poos theres a small amount of blood in it.. what can I do to stop this or will it just go away on its own

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Vet. Don't even second guess, just go to the vet. Puppies can go downhill very quickly, so it's imperative you see a vet, today.

Also, what age is the pup? Normally butt scooting is to do with compacted anal glands, but I didn't think puppies got these (I could be wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 shannongirl13

He is about 9 weeks old I ask the person who I got him off if he had any injecrions or worms dose or anything like that and he had a worm dose at 4 wks old so I gave a worm a dose yesterday and now he has blood in his poo

He is about 9 weeks old I ask the person who I got him off if he had any injecrions or worms dose or anything like that and he had a worm dose at 4 wks old so I gave a worm a dose yesterday and now he has blood in his poo

Get to a vet. It's pointless wondering and worrying when a vet will be able to tell you what's wrong, probably very quickly. As I said, pups can go downhill very, very quickly, so make sure you see one TODAY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'd take the puppy to a vet NOW. Has he had any shots yet? Whilst you're there get his shots done too. Assume he has had none, so ask the vet to start from scratch.

Hope the baby gets well soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

If a puppy have a very heavy worm burden you can get a small bit of blood in the poop, but should only be a few spots (along with jelly like poop as worms are expelled), if it's more I would worry. Best call into the vet and get it checked.

@mymo
    The pup seem to be his playful self and eating everything around him...he dosent seem like it hurts him when he poops there blood in most of them other times there just spots of blood

I'd take the puppy to a vet NOW. Has he had any shots yet? Whilst you're there get his shots done too. Assume he has had none, so ask the vet to start from scratch.

Hope the baby gets well soon!

I think he has had one and that was at 6 wks and hes still playful and eating all around him

I think he has had one and that was at 6 wks and hes still playful and eating all around him

Not to be presumptuous, but you sound like you think that because the pup is playful still that there's no reason to take him to the vet. I'll say 2 things to you and then I'm bowing out of the thread:

1) the best time to deal with a problem is when it's a little one, not a big one.

2) there's a saying I'm rather fond of: "if you don't listen to the whispers, you'll listen to the screams"

It could be nothing, it could be something, best to err on the side of caution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

As I said, if it's more than a few spots I would worry, it is important to check with your vet. It shouldn't keep happening a week later.

My vet doesn't like starting vaccs until 7 or 8 weeks and second vacc 2 or 3 weeks later, some vets say a week or two later than that.
    Did you get a card with the stamp of the vet and dates of vacc, and a sticker from the bottle?
    If not I would start from scratch with vaccs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Call vet and make appointment for today .....

It is possible the pup ate something which is causing the damage....a stone, a piece of lego etc.

mymo wrote: »
    As I said, if it's more than a few spots I would worry, it is important to check with your vet. It shouldn't keep happening a week later.

My vet doesn't like starting vaccs until 7 or 8 weeks and second vacc 2 or 3 weeks later, some vets say a week or two later than that.
    Did you get a card with the stamp of the vet and dates of vacc, and a sticker from the bottle?
    If not I would start from scratch with vaccs.

He got his worm dose yesterday 26/12/13 and it was only then that he started having blood in his poop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Listen,

From what you've posted you have a pup with a less than certain vaccination history. That was your first mistake.

Don't make another. Get your pup to the vet, Parvo is a horrible, horrible disease so you need to be very sure that your pup a) does not have this and b) is vaccinated to prevent it happening.

Either way a visit to the vet is required. This is the responsibility you took on when you bought this pup so ring the vet now and make an appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Always assume the worst until proven otherwise in these kind of situations, the most common train of thought would be puppy + bloody faeces = parvovirus. If it is parvo, you've caught it early and it should be much easier to treat, but you need a vet to treat it, it's not something that can be dealt with at home. If it isn't parvo then at least you've that weight off your mind and your vet will be able to work out what is the problem. Most vets are open today so if I were you I would ring now and ask their opinion rather than waiting and seeing as pups go down very very fast. Hope it all works out!

Advertisement