Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playing Movies on iPad 3

• 27-12-2013 10:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭

This has probably been done to death but I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything definitive.

I have an ipad 3 and have succeeded in getting it to upload an mp4 file and play it but tried again and can't get iTunes to recognise the mp4 file (it is an mp4 of Borgen that I downloaded).

If possible I would like to
    1. Play mp4 files.
    2. Copy over DVDs that I have at home. Old DVDs that don't include a code for copying across.
    3. Play AVIs (lower priority).

Is there an app I can use to do that reasonably seemlessly? I don't mind paying for it.

Thanks for any help, it is a little frustrating that I paid so much for the iPad and something that should be basic enough is unavailable.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Handbrake.
    http://handbrake.fr
    Has presets for most devices.

VLC is back on the app store too.

EDIT: The reason something so simple seems so difficult is because you downloaded the files, probably illegally. You're being actively discouraged from this. Buying the files from Apple, or using Neflix etc would be perfectly sermless.

EDIT2: There are various DVD ripping programs that break copy protection. I know in the UK you can use these to make legal backups of DVDs you own. DVDshrink is a good example. This will out out files in various formats but iirc it'll make a nice mp4.

If vlc won't play the mp4 then you can use handbrake to encode. Pretty sure vlc can pull files from a network share and store them locally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

dixiefly wrote: »
    This has probably been done to death but I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything definitive.

I have an ipad 3 and have succeeded in getting it to upload an mp4 file and play it but tried again and can't get iTunes to recognise the mp4 file (it is an mp4 of Borgen that I downloaded).

1. Play mp4 files.
    2. Copy over DVDs that I have at home. Old DVDs that don't include a code for copying across.

Is there an app I can use to do that reasonably seemlessly? I don't mind paying for it.

Thanks for any help, it is a little frustrating that I paid so much for the iPad and something that should be basic enough is unavailable.

Try AVPlayer Hd....it's played every file type I've thrown at it so far......there is a charge, I think I paid €2.79 but in my opinion it's well worth it. Just add the files through ITunes and they appear in your library in AVPlayer

Hope it helps

Regards

DC

Sorry....I thought the Op was looking for an App to play files only, not convert also....

DC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

1. Play mp4 files.

Edit the file name to Borgen.mp4 and iTunes should recognise it.

VLC player should play all of your AVI's and as mentioned above, Handbrake will convert your DVD's for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Thanks guys, will check out those options. I don't download illegally, Borgen was one I did as I missed a couple of the episodes on TV. It is mostly for looking at DVDs I have bought but didn't get to watch on DVD player.

Thanks again.

lindaleee wrote: »
    <spam snip>

Thanks Lindalee.

I managed to get the Borgen file to play on the iPad but the subtitles havent transferred over. I see that there is a file with the extension .srt that needs to go with the .mp4 file in order to pick up the subtitles. However the iPad wont recognise this file. Does anyone know how to transfer this file over?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Problems like this are the main reason I'm not a big fan of Apple products, it might just be easier to learn Danish....

I have an ipad but I wouldn't even attempt to put movies on it....

Yes, it's a bit frustrating. I was kinda arm twisted at home into buying the ipad, it is a very slick product but trying to do straightforward copying of files is too restrictive in my view. With Apple it seems to be their way or no way.

Anyway, I am rerunning handbrake on the file with a link to the subtitles file so that might work.

I was reluctant to look into jail breaking the ipad but might consider it if it means copying files across is any easier. My problem is that I don't try copying files very often but when I do so it is never straightforward.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Like I said, Apple and the industry in general are trying to prevent you having such files and want you to subscribe, pay etc. HDMi cables with HDCP Win8 without DVD support, walled gardens - all that nonsense. I don't care how you get these files, but the industry is going to make it difficult.

Probably the easiest way is to use a NAS. Then your ipad can pull content from there using something like VLC or FileBrowser. If you're away from home then you'll need to have a copy locally on the ipad.

Edit: just checked there. FileBrowser app lets me browse and find files on my NAS. I can then copy links to the files into VLC to play, MKV in this case.
    Pretty sure I can configure VLC to connect directly to my NAS' hostname but I haven't bothered to set it up yet as I just watch stuff through my TV and use the iPad for other things.

Yep works too. VLC ftw!

5uspect wrote: »
    Like I said, Apple and the industry in general are trying to prevent you having such files and want you to subscribe, pay etc. HDMi cables with HDCP Win8 without DVD support, walled gardens - all that nonsense. I don't care how you get these files, but the industry is going to make it difficult.

Probably the easiest way is to use a NAS. Then your ipad can pull content from there using something like VLC or FileBrowser. If you're away from home then you'll need to have a copy locally on the ipad.

Edit: just checked there. FileBrowser app lets me browse and find files on my NAS. I can then copy links to the files into VLC to play, MKV in this case.
    Pretty sure I can configure VLC to connect directly to my NAS' hostname but I haven't bothered to set it up yet as I just watch stuff through my TV and use the iPad for other things.

Yep works too. VLC ftw!

Thanks, will have to check out the NAS. Its new to me.

I tried handbrake to bring in the subtitles but it didnt work, think I'll just watch the missing episodes on the PC. It was as much the challenge as I can watch it on the PC but hoped to watch some on the bus etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

Guys it is a lot easier to download the free VLC app on your iPad and then transfer your file in any format by dragging and dropping over wifi or through iTunes.

If you want to play your movies on a remote PC/ Mac I recomend installing Plex on your Computer and then using the Plex app on the iPad you can play the movies in any format remotely.

People complain about Apple's restrictions without realising there are lots of alternatives in the App Store.

• Advertisement

Armonline wrote: »
    Guys it is a lot easier to download the free VLC app on your iPad and then transfer your file in any format by dragging and dropping over wifi or through iTunes.

If you want to play your movies on a remote PC/ Mac I recomend installing Plex on your Computer and then using the Plex app on the iPad you can play the movies in any format remotely.

People complain about Apple's restrictions without realising there are lots of alternatives in the App Store.

Thanks, I tried copying the .srt file for the subtitles using iTunes and it wouldn't bring it into the library, probably my lack of knowledge of iTunes etc. how can I do that or drag and drop over wifi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

Thanks, I tried copying the .srt file for the subtitles using iTunes and it wouldn't bring it into the library, probably my lack of knowledge of iTunes etc. how can I do that or drag and drop over wifi?

Download VLC app on your iPad and follow the instructions. See below for an example:

http://www.padgadget.com/2013/07/22/padgadgets-ipad-tips-how-to-download-movies-using-vlc-on-the-ipad/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,894 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I use and swear by MoliPlayer. It's a free app and plays all file formats, you add files through iTunes and it couldn't be simpler.
    If you enjoy watching videos on your iPhone or iPad, but don’t care about tech jargon like “transcoding”, “formats” or “codecs” etc, MoliPlayer HD is the hassle free app for you. MoliPlayer HD basically plays “anything you throw at it”, MOV, RMVB, AVI, WMV, MP4, MKV…you name it.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/moliplayer-hd-free-movie-music/id503831696?mt=8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

1. Play mp4 files.

Wow, so glad I have an android device.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

My galaxy tab constantly needs firmware and codec updates to play videos. Hits hit and miss whether they will play or not. Video issues are not exclusive to apple ya know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

kceire wrote: »
    My galaxy tab constantly needs firmware and codec updates to play videos. Hits hit and miss whether they will play or not. Video issues are not exclusive to apple ya know.

I have a.nexus 7. plays anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Just make sure the .srt file has the exact name as the video it accompanies. Otherwise it's not likely to play.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

So glad you hang around the Apple Devices forum?:confused:

tallus wrote: »
    Just make sure the .srt file has the exact name as the video it accompanies. Otherwise it's not likely to play.

Yes, I have kept the names the same. Just not sure if the iPad will still play the subtitles.

Will try some of the other suggestions later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

cinexplayer is pretty good, plays most types of files.

• Advertisement
Advertisement