Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is my wages?

Options
  • 27-12-2013 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Every Christmas this happens.

Pay is made electronically by BOI to my account EVERY Thursday, yet this Thursday (yesterday) it hasn't arrived and I need bread (payment is to another bank)

Does the flamin' BOI have to be open in order for electronic payments to be made ?

If so it's ridiculously daft.

Don't understand why my money hasn't arrived as normal on a normal Thursday morning.

Please explain, and also please advise when I can expect my salary in my account?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lollipop19

AFAIK no electronic payments will be in accounts until next Monday.  I use BoI Online business banking to pay wages and made alternative arrangements for this week for that reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi vicwatson,

Thanks for your post.

As correctly mentioned by lollipop19, Monday is the next banking day. Electronic transfers are only processed on banking days and yesterday and today are both bank holidays.

You would need to check with your employer when to expect your salary to be paid into your account as this would depend how the payment is processed from their account.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

WHY??

Is ELECTRONIC NOT ELECTRONIC?

Do BOI realise there are 6 Human beings currently orbiting the planet in outer space at the moment.

There are more than 7,000,000,000.00 human beings on Planet Earth

And not 1 of them can arrange to press a button to make an ELECTRONIC bank transfer ??

I despair

Ok, so today the banks are working - wheres my salary??

Still not credited to my account

Hi vicwatson,

As mentioned previously, you'll need to clarify this with your employer. They would be best to contact their branch to check when the payment debited their account and when it should reach your bank.

Thanks
    Tara

• Advertisement

Hi vicwatson,

As mentioned previously, you'll need to clarify this with your employer. They would be best to contact their branch to check when the payment debited their account and when it should reach your bank.

Thanks
    Tara
    Why do I need to clarify with my employer?

My wages arrive every Thursday by electronic transfer - they obviously didn't arrive electronically last Thursday because Bank of ireland were shut on holidays

This shouldn't mean that my wages don't go through electronically, my employer has done nothing differently, nor should they have to

BOI should have been making arrangements to have standing orders paid electronically as with every other week, the only difference in that you are shut - that shouldn't be the customers or employers problem, yet you make it like it is.

A Thursday is a Thursday whether the bank is open or not - of course that's the way it SHOULD BE.

My wages arrived TODAY - a FULL 5 DAYS AFTER I SHOULD HAVE HAD ACCESS TO THEM, all because BOI couldn't press a button (or arrange for it to be so), I called the BOI yesterday who told me the standing orders were being done manually and they could see mine on the list, it might be there Monday but will be there Tuesday - laughable really.

Another sign of the arrogance of the banks, and the couldn't care less attitude of BOI.

Funny how standing orders leave my account on the day it's set up for - EVEN IF THE BANK ARE CLOSED

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts your wages left your employer's bank account on the day they were meant to as well, earning interest in whatever account they are parked in until they finally manage to make their way to your account. 

Same crap today, when will my wages be in my account??? That were due in this morning ??

So what if YESTERDAY was a bank holiday ??

Hi vicwatson,

We can understand your frustration regarding this matter however, we will always post in a respectful manner and kindly request that you do the same.

We can confirm, all BOI payment files are running normally. All BOI business account holders are advised of cut off times and non-banking days over the Christmas period. To clarify, BOI will credit a customer's account as soon as a payment is received.

If bank holidays are affecting when you receive your salary, you need to discuss, with your employer, if alternative arrangements can be put in place. We did advise of this several days ago.

Thanks
    Tara

Where have I been disrespectful pray tell? and NO, you don't understand my frustration.

You haven't answered my question from several days ago yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Have to jump in here.

My employer proccessed my wages earlier than usual for the bank holidays and I've always gotten mine early/on the day with BOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

Any idea if your wages are coming from AIB as they are having technical issues with processing payments, this would beyond the control of BOI. If so try calling into your local branch as they may be able to help you out as I know they did during the Ulster Bank technical glitch a while back.

amber2 wrote: »
    Any idea if your wages are coming from AIB as they are having technical issues with processing payments, this would beyond the control of BOI. If so try calling into your local branch as they may be able to help you out as I know they did during the Ulster Bank technical glitch a while back.
    No, from BOI, the account is held there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

Oh in that case revert to your employer to make sure your transfer was on the transfer wages list. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

You need to remove your head from your arse and find out when your employer sent your wages. If it was on a bank holiday, then it wouldn't have been processed until the night of the next working day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Retailer

this does of course open up the issue for discussion, though this probably isn't the right forum for this.

All (bricks and mortar) banks as far as I'm aware adopt a working hours model, even for online, electronic banking. they haven't been brought into the 21st century yet. Whilst yes, these are the current rules, as a business and personal user, it's a complete pain as my business isn't a 10am to 4pm Monday to Friday business.

I'm hoping that some of the online only banks will be adopting a more customer friendly, 21st century approach to modern banking. Is anyone aware of any of these currently?

ps: OP, did the bank give you a reason as to why they were processing standing orders manually? Is this normal practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

When it comes to inter-bank transactions, it makes sense to save up all the many thousands of small daily transactions, like card debits and wages, and transfer the net difference at set periods throughout the day. The technology is available to do it, but that would require the same standard throughout all the banks, and also the administration costs would be much higher. I presume the large inter-bank transfers at the end of the day need to be approved by a human, hence them being limited to working hours.

Advertisement