Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Chips in Kilkenny

Options
  • 27-12-2013 2:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

My vote is for the The Forge on Main St in Urlingford. Brilliant hand-cut chips made fresh from real, raw spuds (no flour, corn starch, etc added)

They remind me of the chips from Caffolla's chipper on Mespil Road, Dublin, which I ate as a kid walking along the canal with me mott.

Who Sells the Best Chips in Kilkenny? (city or county) 65 votes

The Forge, Main St, Urlingford
    0%
    Roma Cafe, John St, Kilkenny
    1%
    mathepac 1 vote
    Rocco’s, Walkin St, Kilkenny
    12%
    brettmirlkikelbuilttospilllorebringerdaisy_daysmanshayzcorpian88kitty3kids 8 votes
    Joe's, Irishtown, Kilkenny
    13%
    highgiant1985catbearBowlardosunflower3phkkRojiblancosDeathwish4Schindlers PissedKilkennyfella 9 votes
    Mario’s, Kilkenny
    10%
    wheres me jumpaPaulKKThreadheadhi5TheVoodooRealt Dearg SecT L 7 votes
    Larkin’s, Kilkenny
    30%
    ergonomicsPretty.Odd.RegaElWalrustoe_kneeDavaeo09aarondocearlytobedDamerme89ft9CallanutddirkmeisterWimbagorobwenMollyd90YamanotoGFishMeangadhGreen potato 20 votes
    StoneyKabish, Kilkenny
    13%
    JoseJonesblackbeardkenn0thewiseoldwomanadrianshanahanMo14AutosportSilverscottPudders 9 votes
    Caesar’s, Kilkenny
    1%
    willwall 1 vote
    SuperMac’s, High St, Kilkenny
    4%
    Benny Cakekilkennykittenle la rat 3 votes
    Uncle Sam’s, Kilkenny
    0%
    The Blue Door, John St, Kilkenny
    0%
    McDonald’s, Kilkenny
    10%
    elleA[Deleted User]bloopygramarRedkilkennywilddartsomicron 7 votes
    Munch Box, Kilkenny
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Roma Cafe on John St. V nice but they give very small portions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Rocco's. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Roccos, Walkin Street. Don't be in a rush though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Larkin’s, Kilkenny
    1984baby wrote: »
    Roma Cafe on John St. V nice but they give very small portions

Have been underwhelmed with the chips there on more than one occasion. Also got some in Joe's in Irishtown recently - huge portions but the levels of grease were off the charts, which made 'em very unappealing.

Mario's are consistently good in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Mario's or Rocco's. Both are delish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Rocco's but it is an nothing short of an ordeal...even if there was only two people there you would be waiting 10 minutes...worth waiting for though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Rocco's but it is an nothing short of an ordeal...even if there was only two people there you would be waiting 10 minutes...worth waiting for though
    First world problem. If you like your chips then it's worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I love Roccos but the portions there are pretty miserable...

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

StoneyKabish, Kilkenny
    Roma and Larkins

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

stoneykabish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Got a Joe's last night. They charge 20% more for a bag of chips than larkins do. Similar quality / quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Mario’s, Kilkenny
    Sky King wrote: »
    Got a Joe's last night. They charge 20% more for a bag of chips than larkins do. Similar quality / quantity.

Only an amateur BUYS chips at Joe's. You just get a battered sausage. They throw in more chips than you can eat, plus the unadulterated deliciousness of a battered sausage. And it's cheaper than the bag of chips which you'll never come close to finishing anyway.

Ah right so they charge a premium price for a bag of chips to passing gringos to compensate for the free chips they give away with their other food to regulars? Gotcha.

Battered sausages are manky so I won't be doing that. Thanks for the tip though.

Mario’s, Kilkenny
    Ah right so they charge a premium price for a bag of chips to passing gringos to compensate for the free chips they give away with their other food to regulars? Gotcha.

Yeah, and you don't even need vinegar because the righteous indignation is so bitter and delicious.

Oh Indeed. Better yet though, why not forego eating altogether and instead savour the warm satisfaction of avoiding being ripped off :)

Mario’s, Kilkenny
    Oh Indeed. Better yet though, why not forego eating altogether and instead savour the warm satisfaction of avoiding being ripped off :)

If I was interested in not being ripped off I wouldn't have been down the boozer in the first place getting into the kind of state where a battered sausage seems like a good idea.

Touché. The Irish Vintners have a lot to answer for, it seems!

Mario’s, Kilkenny
    Touché. The Irish Vintners have a lot to answer for, it seems!

It's a conspiracy with the Italians. On topic, I always loved Breda's back in the day, really excellent chips, was disappointed the first time I realised they were gone. Roccos are good but it's not just the wait, they can be awful unfriendly. Nobody has mentioned the blue door yet, who I think are as good as anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

stoneykabish

Best name for a takeaway ever.....

Mario’s, Kilkenny
    Benny Cake wrote: »

There's one in cork called 'the chipsy kings'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blobbyblob

There's none of them would bate a big soggy bag of chips out of the chipper van that used to be on the Parade years ago. There was nothing nicer in the lashing rain than a vinegar sodden bag of scalding chips and a sausage if you were lucky. The smell of the vinegar would sting your nostrils coming up rose inn street. Mmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Benny Cake wrote: »

What about the jerky prick oops I mean the Perky Chick in Drumcomdra. Hope we get there this year..:P

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Larkin’s, Kilkenny
    fg1406 wrote: »
    Mario's or Rocco's. Both are delish.

This.

And the Roma too

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

Larkin’s, Kilkenny
    Agree with Realt Derg Sec, Roccos are very unfriendly. I had an experience there about a year or so ago where they skipped me in the queue to serve two old guys (obviously regulars) behind me and then attempted to come back to me to take my order. I asked why she skipped me and she said I looked like I didnt know what I wanted! I just turned and walked out, went to Marios and havent been back since.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Larkin’s, Kilkenny
    I'd go for Mario's.
    Twas a sad day for Thomastown he upped and left for Kilkenny:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Callanutd wrote: »
    Agree with Realt Derg Sec, Roccos are very unfriendly. I had an experience there about a year or so ago where they skipped me in the queue to serve two old guys (obviously regulars) behind me and then attempted to come back to me to take my order. I asked why she skipped me and she said I looked like I didnt know what I wanted! I just turned and walked out, went to Marios and havent been back since.

had a similiar experience a good few times. only makes me want them more :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

StoneyKabish, Kilkenny
    Where is the worst chips ????

Mario’s, Kilkenny
    What are we including here? Just proper chippers, or everywhere? Because Supermacs are fairly ****, or uncle Sam's, or the chips you get in most pubs...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Any of the Chinese take always. Pure krap.
    Caesars pretty bad also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Mario’s, Kilkenny
    Larkins is easily the worst chipper I've been to in Kilkenny. Bags of mushy pulp for chips and miserable service.

Advertisement