Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2014 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

My favourite match of 2014 so far, absolutely loved it! That was definitely the best tennis Murray has played all year imo, I really thought he would do it when he went a break up in the final set!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

How does anyone beat Nadal 19 times? only Djoko knows :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Novak never looked like losing. Can he hold this form for Paris? Beaten Nadal now a least 4 times on clay in the past 2-3 seasons. Lost a couple times too. He just has the right blend of strength/ stamina and shot selection to beat Nadal consistently.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I know their is other sport, but its crap that Sky do not have the semi finals on tv today:mad:

They had Nadal's semi on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

walshb wrote: »
    They had Nadal's semi on.

Fair enough, they advertised the first one for red button, no sign at the time sadly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

No Vika at RG :(

Obviously not a surprise, but disappointing all the same. What a disaster this season has turned out to be for her. With Wimbledon only a few weeks later that's looking doubtful as well. At this stage getting fit for the US Open will probably be her primary target.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I still find the match ups between the top 3 fascinating. Djokovic in full flow seems to neutralise nadals weopons so efficiently. In all his years on tour federer never seemed to figure out that solution. That being said federer has the variety and aggression to throw Novak off at times.

It just proves what a great player djokovic is that he has managed 19 victories against nadal across all surfaces and 16 against federer. I think he is destined to be listed among the all time greats, particularly if he wins the French open. 6 slams, 19 masters, 3 world tour finals, a Davis cup win and an Olympic medal (though I still think the Olympics for tennis is a bit of a joke)

Nadal is still the slight favorite for France. They must be putting it down to experience at winning in Paris, 5 sets and the fact that he has beaten Novak there 2-3 times, twice recently!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

No Vika at RG :(

Obviously not a surprise, but disappointing all the same. What a disaster this season has turned out to be for her. With Wimbledon only a few weeks later that's looking doubtful as well. At this stage getting fit for the US Open will probably be her primary target.

Yep, I wouldn't be surprised if she misses Wimbledon now too. She hasn't even been practicing yet so it would be kind of silly to risk the injury when it's unlikely she'd get more than one or two matches there. Most likely she'll try to play one of the US series warm ups and then go for US Open. Even then though I'd say this season is a complete write off at this stage. Look how long it took Murray, Sharapova and Tsonga this year to get back to full match fitness after having a few months of an injury lay off. Can't see Vika doing much other than getting a few matches under her belt before the end of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Any matches Vika plays this year, I'll consider practise. She might as well wait until hard-court season in US. Vika only reached the 2nd round of Wimbledon so not a lot of points to lose if she missed it. She won't be back to her best until Australian Open 2015 I'd say.

James McGee won his first qualifying match today, first ever win at a grand slam :)

I doubt he'll be able to qualify unfortunately, his section also contains Zemlja and Zeballos. Fingers crossed though!

Even if he could get to through the next match there's always the chance of someone withdrawing and him getting in as lucky loser. It's great experience anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

When's his next match ?

^Should be tomorrow, I think, but there's some messing with today's schedule because of the weather so we'll have to wait and see what they get done today.

Another set of Woz/Rory break up rumours doing the rounds today, seem slightly more legit than before.
    EDIT: Confirmed by Rory himself at a presser for whatever tournament he's playing this week.

Gus Friday Morning for the main French Draw aye?:o

• Advertisement

What a time to call off the wedding after posting invites over the weekend. No word from Woz's camp yet, it's been all Rory. I'm sure she'll get loads of questions at the French Open.

Interesting article on The Tennis Space about who can beat Serena at RG. 3 picks - Jelena Jankovic, Li Na and Ana Ivanovic. AFAIK, it's usually someone unexpected that takes out Serena...and then loses in the next round.

^ Who would have thought a guy that dumped his long term girlfriend a matter of days before getting with you could do something so cold. Shocking.

Seriously though, he seems a bit of a twat.

When I heard they recently sent invites, it reminded me of this...

Except Turk eventually posted them and they marry.

Anyway, I digress! FO draw out on Friday. Looking forward to seeing who gets who.

Feel bad for Caroline, this must be humiliating. McIlroy is an ass.

From a tennis point of view though, this can only be a good thing in the long run!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

RosyLily wrote: »
    What a time to call off the wedding after posting invites over the weekend. No word from Woz's camp yet, it's been all Rory. I'm sure she'll get loads of questions at the French Open.

Interesting article on The Tennis Space about who can beat Serena at RG. 3 picks - Jelena Jankovic, Li Na and Ana Ivanovic. AFAIK, it's usually someone unexpected that takes out Serena...and then loses in the next round.

Li Na is the best of those 3 to beat Serena. Jelena needs to get her head sorted after what I seen from her in her semi final in Rome. Ana as mush as I would like her to win she badly needs to sort out that serve.

• Advertisement

Feel bad for Caroline, this must be humiliating. McIlroy is an ass.

From a tennis point of view though, this can only be a good thing in the long run!

Hopefully it will be a good thing for her in long run but she really needs to get the head down.

James one win away from FO main draw :) Not only that, but a guy named Andrea Arnaboldi has managed to take out Zeballos, so James really couldn't have asked for more. Would be amazing for him if he could get in!

Men's FO draw just finished.

Top half men's projected R16s: Nadal-Haas, Dimitrov-Ferrer, Wawrinka-Fognini, Gasquet-Murray.
    Bottom half men's projected R16s: Berdych-Isner, Youzhny-Federer, Raonic-Nishikori, Tsonga-Djokovic

Gasquet/Tomic and Dimitrov/Karlovic could make for some good first round matches!

OUCH! Sharapova is in Serena's quarter! Wasn't expecting that tbh!

From the Roland Garros twitter: "Projected #RG14 women's QFs: (top) Serena Williams vs. Sharapova, Radwanska vs. Kerber, (bottom) Kvitova vs. Halep and Jankovic vs. Li Na"

Serena-Lisicki could be a R16 match. A big could considering it's Lisicki....and FO is not on grass!:p

EDIT: Venus vs. Belinda Bencic first rounder...that could be good! And we could see a Williams Sisters showdown in 3rd round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

James McGee loses the first set against Arnaboldi. Best of three so must win next two.

James Ward involved in an epic struggle in his final qualifier against Rola. Had a match point saved, then unsuccessfully served for the match and now he's after saving two match points. Rola currently 8-7 up in the final set.

Ah the dream is over. McGee loses 6-3 6-4. He was 2-0 up in the second set but got broken back straight away. Ward eventually won 12-10 in the third to become the first British player to get through the qualifying rounds in Paris in 41 years.

How does the lucky loser thing work? Someone's bound to pull out of the main draw before their R1 match. Is it done by ranking or just whoever's still around to play?

How does the lucky loser thing work? Someone's bound to pull out of the main draw before their R1 match. Is it done by ranking or just whoever's still around to play?
    Found this on www.oncourtadvantage.com

Any player that loses in the final round of qualifying and then signs-in for the singles main draw is eligible to receive a lucky loser spot into the main draw. The lucky loser spots are awarded in order of highest ranked player to the lowest, hence the term, despite losing they are lucky to still compete in the main draw.

Gutted for James. Hopefully he can get into Wimbledon in a few weeks, or perhaps he might get a lucky loser spot this week.

I'm equally disappointed that Sharapova's quest for another RG will probably end in the QF's :( I never root against Serena, but I actually hope someone takes her out to clear the way for Sharapova :o

Hingis and lisicki to play in the doubles at Roland garros. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Apologies if I am repeating people because i am almost too excited to read through the thread but I just wanted to say I LOVE LOVE Marion Bartoli doing her bit on itv3.

I don't know what it is about her but I just find her fascinating and really likeable (although I do recall commentators at Wimbledon remarking that she was very marmite, at least as a player and amongst players).

^ I hated her as a player, mainly because of all her jumping around and bizarre super intense personality.

I've only seen/heard bits of her on ITV so far but I'm surprised by how likable she actually is. She's very knowledgeable too, knows all the young players and not just from some stat sheet, she knows them all.

^ I hated her as a player, mainly because of all her jumping around and bizarre super intense personality.

I've only seen/heard bits of her on ITV so far but I'm surprised by how likable she actually is. She's very knowledgeable too, knows all the young players and not just from some stat sheet, she knows them all.

Hopefully the bbc get her for their Wimbledon coverage.

Apologies if I am repeating people because i am almost too excited to read through the thread but I just wanted to say I LOVE LOVE Marion Bartoli doing her bit on itv3.

I don't know what it is about her but I just find her fascinating and really likeable (although I do recall commentators at Wimbledon remarking that she was very marmite, at least as a player and amongst players).

I always liked her as well, always struck me as someone with a personality unlike some of the zombies on the court, I'd rather have a pint with her than someone like Sharapova or Aza tbh.

Gutted for James. Hopefully he can get into Wimbledon in a few weeks, or perhaps he might get a lucky loser spot this week.

I'm equally disappointed that Sharapova's quest for another RG will probably end in the QF's :( I never root against Serena, but I actually hope someone takes her out to clear the way for Sharapova :o

Yay for me, this happened! :D:)

Amongst all the excitement of RG, I failed to realise that McGee is actually playing Queens qualies this weekend, and he has won two matches! Will play Daniel Brands for a spot in the main draw.

SHOCKER! Lisicki injured and will miss Birmingham. She's hoping to fit for Wimbledon.

Murray has appointed Mauresmo as his new coach. Should be interesting.

James McGee just missed out on qualifying for Queens this morning. Lost 7-5 in the 3rd against Daniel Brands. So close!

I think Wimbledon qualifiers are next. You'd think they'd give him a Wild Card as a gesture of goodwill now we're best friends. Maybe we should get Michael D. to give them a call and see what he can do. You know there'll be Brits you never heard of, or will hear of again, getting WC's in and doing nothing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

James McGee just missed out on qualifying for Queens this morning. Lost 7-5 in the 3rd against Daniel Brands. So close!

I think Wimbledon qualifiers are next. You'd think they'd give him a Wild Card as a gesture of goodwill now we're best friends. Maybe we should get Michael D. to give them a call and see what he can do. You know there'll be Brits you never heard of, or will hear of again, getting WC's in and doing nothing with them.
    That's a sickener. At least it means he's playing well on the grass and some tight matches behind him, bodes well for Wimbledon qualis.
    Needs the luck of the draw then.

• Advertisement

Henry9 wrote: »
    That's a sickener. At least it means he's playing well on the grass and some tight matches behind him, bodes well for Wimbledon qualis.
    Needs the luck of the draw then.

Not sure how many of them were actually played on grass due to the weather. I know in Nottingham this week they had to play most of the matches on hard indoors.

Not sure how many of them were actually played on grass due to the weather. I know in Nottingham this week they had to play most of the matches on hard indoors.
    Not ideal then, but still should be match tight.
    Hope he gets into the main draw soon, he can't stay on the road forever for little return.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Murray has appointed Mauresmo as his new coach. Should be interesting.
    Very odd choice. He must have had his pick of a lot of coaches, I wonder what the logic is.

Henry9 wrote: »
    Very odd choice. He must have had his pick of a lot of coaches, I wonder what the logic is.

She's a multiple slam winner, she's a decent history of coaching, she coached Bartoli to her Wimbledon win last year, she coached Llodra a few years ago through a decent grass court season. He said himself he's admired her for a long time and everyone he knows speaks very highly of her as a person and as a coach. His early development was heavily influenced by female coaches and something he feels he needs right now is someone who can listen to him which he has found female coaches are better at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Nadal to win Wimbledon zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Done deal

She's a multiple slam winner, she's a decent history of coaching, she coached Bartoli to her Wimbledon win last year, she coached Llodra a few years ago through a decent grass court season. He said himself he's admired her for a long time and everyone he knows speaks very highly of her as a person and as a coach. His early development was heavily influenced by female coaches and something he feels he needs right now is someone who can listen to him which he has found female coaches are better at.
    I don't care if she's female.
    But as a player she was mentally very fragile, she never fulfilled the potential she had.
    She's relatively inexperienced.
    Men's and women's tennis are very different games, which leaves her at a disadvantage working in the men's draw.
    She's untried at the higher levels of the men's game.

She's almost the polar opposite of Lendl, which is strange given that was such a successful partnership.

• Advertisement

Mauresmo is on board for the grass season then who knows. Wasn't expecting her appointment tbh, I thought McEnroe would be coach.

Apparently Bob Brett is working at the LTA at the moment, there were rumours it would be him.
    He initially got with Lendl through Adidas, I'd say a few big names would have been interested.
    British No1 is always a good meal ticket, very high profile especially around Wimbledon.
    Very strange if you're No 3 trying to beat the top 2 in SF and finals, I would have thought experience through either playing or coaching would be paramount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

the_monkey wrote: »
    Nadal to win Wimbledon zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Done deal

I wouldnt say its a done deal,its probably the hardest slam for him to win .

I would really like to see them speed up the courts at Wimbledon to see how Nadal would cope on a truly fast surface .
    The homogenisation of court speeds is making the mens game boring and predicatable .

I wouldnt say its a done deal,its probably the hardest slam for him to win .

I would really like to see them speed up the courts at Wimbledon to see how Nadal would cope on a truly fast surface .
    The homogenisation of court speeds is making the mens game boring and predicatable .
    I think he'd cope just fine, the problem is that there are no longer the players around who could take advantage of the faster court. 90% would still do nothing but trade ground strokes anyway.

Reversing the changes wouldn't have much impact imo. Maybe Federer could make the most of it, but he's on the way out.

Would be great to see some of the younger players throwing in a bit of serve and volley! Just to mix it up.....everyone stays at the baseline.

• Advertisement
Advertisement