Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Strength Program for a Beginner?

• 27-12-2013 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm joining the gym soon. I'm 15 years old and I want to get a small bit bigger but after that mainly focus on strength. I was looking at SS but the nutrition for the program seems awfull! I know it would get me the strength but I would double my bf% and be eating a HUGE amount of food. Being this 'fat' would not help me be fit overall and my running and cycling and bodyweight exercises would definitely decline. Right now I'm at around 11% bf I would presume... I only have abs in good lighting cus I haven't really focused on crunches sit ups eat but I have started doing them recently. So yes I'm very happy with my bf at the moment.
    Is there a program you guys would recommend? I came up with is one, I would stick with it until I got a bit more muscular then change to one focused completely on functional strength.
    The program is 3 days a week.
    Day A (bench/pushing/chest triceps shoulders)
    Day B (deadlift/pulling/back biceps)
    Day C (squat/squatting/legs)

DAY A
    Bench press 3x4-8 (2min rest between sets)
    Shoulder press 3x4-8 (2 min rest)
    Weighted dips 3x4-8 (2min rest)
    I would then do plyometric pushups for explosive strength
    Finally is isolation for size- pec flyes supersetted with tricep extensions supersetted with lateral raises 3x8-12 (no rest)

DAY B
    Deadlift 3x4-8
    Barbell rows 3x4-8
    Weighted pullups 3x4-8
    Plyometric pullups
    Barbell curls supersetted with lat pulldowns (or a good back isolation exercise?) 3x8-12 (30 sec rest)

DAY C
    Squat 3x4-8
    Plyometric leg exercises
    2 or 3 leg isolation exercises supersetted with eachother (I need help with these)

I will also do forearm curls, standing ab pulldowns and back hyper extensions on every day in the gym.

So that's the program... Basically I start at 4 or 8 reps and move up to 8 or 12 before adding weight. Is this too much for someone who hasn't lifted before?
    Also would appreciate advice on nutrition.
    All the criticism and input will be appreciated thankyou! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Your 15 years old and 11% body fat so if you do a program like SS or Wendler with the right intensity you won't have to worry about putting on fat.

Your best go with a program that has structure is proven to work. When you join the gym make sure someone shows you how to do the lifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭snoopytoop

Ok thanks :) would I be able to learn the lifts from th SS book itself? And what advice would you give on nutrition if I were to follow a plan like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Wendler is based around 4 lifts that need to be coached right so you can get the must return from them and don't pick up injuries. How people think they are moving with a barbell and how the are actually moving are usually two very different things.

To gain your going to need extra calories. I would advise to learn the basics about nutrition and come back and post up a proposed nutrition plan and you'll get good feedback here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Glutes

You need to start with just bodyweight exercises and learning to execute all exercises properly. Ask your instructor to put together a programme for you. It should include: push ups, split squats (progressing to single leg squats), planks (front and side), pull ups (horizontal and vertical), overhead press with light DB, stretching. You dont have any experience yet and you will do yourself harm by sticking to this programme. Eat proper breakfast, lunch, dinner with snacks in between the meals. Rest is also very important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Glutes wrote: »
    You need to start with just bodyweight exercises and learning to execute all exercises properly. Ask your instructor to put together a programme for you. It should include: push ups, split squats (progressing to single leg squats), planks (front and side), pull ups (horizontal and vertical), overhead press with light DB, stretching. You dont have any experience yet and you will do yourself harm by sticking to this programme.

.....er, no

SS is a program for beginners, so its perfect for those who have never lifted before

This is a flawed method of thinking, bodyweight exercises are not a gateway to weighted exercise. They are a separate discipline.

Its as wrong as thinking if you want to start skiing you should begin by running down mountains until you get used to it, then tie some skis to your feet.

There is no harm in anyone lifting weight or beginning a progressive program such as SS, SL etc.
    Learn the right way to lift the weight and youll remain injury free.

If you wish to do BW exercise then by all means do them, either as a self contained program or incorporated into a wider program.

But you do not do body weight exercise in order to learn weighted exercise.

• Advertisement

.....er, no

SS is a program for beginners, so its perfect for those who have never lifted before

This is a flawed method of thinking, bodyweight exercises are not a gateway to weighted exercise. They are a separate discipline.

Its as wrong as thinking if you want to start skiing you should begin by running down mountains until you get used to it, then tie some skis to your feet.

There is no harm in anyone lifting weight or beginning a progressive program such as SS, SL etc.
    Learn the right way to lift the weight and youll remain injury free.

If you wish to do BW exercise then by all means do them, either as a self contained program or incorporated into a wider program.

But you do not do body weight exercise in order to learn weighted exercise.

Bodyweight exercises are the perfect start for a 15 year old who would like to improve his functional strength eventually. Inter muscular coordination will be enhanced and proper body positions can be taught. Once body control is establshed lifting can be introduced. There are no short cuts to getting stronger when someone would like to continue playing his preferred sport.

Bodyweight exercises are the perfect start for a 15 year old who would like to improve his functional strength eventually. Inter muscular coordination will be enhanced and proper body positions can be taught. Once body control is establshed lifting can be introduced. There are no short cuts to getting stronger when someone would like to continue playing his preferred sport.

That is exactly what starting strength is for.
    The program is designed for 15 year olds to increase strength for sport.

There is no need for progression from BW exercises to barbell exercises. lifting can be introduced from day one.

Although Starting Stregnth is a book for beginners I do advise snoopytoop to err on the side of caution. Mark Rippetoe wont be standing next to you to correct your technique. Maybe you can practise the techniques at home before you start loading up. A good idea would be to film your movements so you can compare your technique with the pictures in the book.

Although Starting Stregnth is a book for beginners I do advise snoopytoop to err on the side of caution. Mark Rippetoe wont be standing next to you to correct your technique. Maybe you can practise the techniques at home before you start loading up. A good idea would be to film your movements so you can compare your technique with the pictures in the book.

that is true, mark doesn't give a training session with every purchase of the book.

However, there are many people who are able to teach the same techniques. I believe that many of them are inclined to hang around gyms and offer their services.

You are as likely to injure your self with bad form doing BW exercise unguided as you are lifting an empty bar as recommended by chapter 1 of SS.

The op seems capable of reading the instructions and applying the advice, whether or not its BW or weighted resistance. and at 15 has more options for instruction including PE teachers and sport coaches.

OP I would advice that no matter what program you decide on get basic instruction from a qualified professional in the basic movements.

There are plenty of online resources for basic training in barbel , body weight, dumbbell and machine exercises and plenty of people who are willing to offer assistance and guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭snoopytoop

I have done some bodyweight exercises actually. Well mainly chinups. My record is 18 consecutive chins so I'm not too bad at them :) I've also done some sit ups pushups ect. And yes I was planning on videoing my lifts and getting advice on my technique also. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Definitely get someone to teach you the main lifts for SS or Wendler. SS would be an awesome start and I wish I had started with it at your age.

Eat well. Eat unprocessed foods, cut out gluten would be a good start. Your body fat won't sky rocket if you don't feed yourself with crap. Plenty of healthy fats, protein etc.. and you won't stray too far wrong.

Have a look in the Health and Fitness forum and read the stickies there, some great info for anyone starting is in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Snako

Check out Jason Blaha "Jugernaught FitnessTV" on youtube he has a great 5x5 beginners program built around strength

Advertisement