Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on COMP40010 or COMP30090

Options
  • 27-12-2013 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Looking for a recommendation and some insight into COMP40010 (Performance of Comp Systems) or COMP30090 (Operating Systems I)? I have the option of either. If anyone could DropBox me some notes or course content, that would be great.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Any luck with this? I'm looking at COMP40010 but the description on SIS doesn't really explain what we'll be doing very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 odhran666

I did Performance last year and Operating Systems 1 the year before.

For Performance there are two in-class tests which are easy enough together worth 25% but there is also an assignment (report) worth 75% - there is no final exam. You'll use linux to test the performance of a Java application - identifying bottlenecks, memory leaks and other performance issues. It's a team project of ~3 members and your report just explains your findings. It's not the worst module, I think it would have been easier if I was more familiar with Unix. I liked having no final exam as I was busy finishing my FYP. This module is one that always comes up in interviews - team project + Unix experience. Bitches love Unix experience.

I can't remember what the breakdown for OS1 is. It is/was something like 2 in class MCQs, a team report on a comparison between two operating systems and a final exam. It's a fairly standard introduction to operating systems. The lecturer is dreadfully boring but the material is pretty easy. I skipped some of the lectures in favour of going through the material myself, I was just falling asleep in lectures.

They both have pros and cons. Performance is much more practical but personally I found OS easier. It's really up to your interests and what you're good at.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Thanks odhran666. That was the general feedback I was receiving myself. I just kinda like to know what is going to be covered, I wish there was a policy of posting the 'first day' slides for all modules giving a much better breakdown of the module. The SISWeb intros are good but are generally more marketing than real insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Considering the MSc by Negotiated Learning next year and the Performance module really stuck out. Likewise, if anyone has any course notes or whatever they're willing to share, a pm would be much appreciated. Giving this MSc considerable thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Does anyone have any information about the module COMP10010? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

COMP10010 is just as the name suggests - an introduction to programming. You'll go through the basic concepts of variables, constants, arrays, classes, objects, etc.
    There are 4-5 assignments throughout the semester, which account for 40% of the overall grade.
    Last year the course was taught using C++, but there is no guarantee that will be the case next year.

Here's a breakdown by lecture of all the topics covered:
    1. Course outline. Briefest history of programming. C/C++. Codeblocks. "Hello World!".
    2. Comments. Variables. Operators. cin.
    3. double. if. Relational operators.
    4. for. Shortcuts. Indentation.
    5. Functions: the standard library. Keywords and identifiers. Data types (1).
    6. Data types (2): int; char; float/double.
    7. Data types (3): bool. Literals. Modulus. Logical operators.
    8. Type conversions. More about for.
    9. if .. else. switch. while.
    10. do .. while. break and continue. Arrays(1)
    11. Arrays (2).
    12. Arrays (3). BubbleSort. Strings.
    13. Some functions for strings.
    14. Pointers. Functions (1).
    15. Functions (2). Local scope.
    16. Global scope. Passing arrays/pointers to functions.
    17. Strings and functions.
    18. Functions returning pointers.
    19. main(). Recursive functions.
    20. Recursive functions (2). const. Object Oriented Programming (OOP): Encapsulation, Polymorphism, Inheritance. Classes and objects (1).
    21. Classes and objects (2). Functions/Methods. Constructors and destructors.
    22. Classes and objects (3).
    23. Revision: arrays, pointers and functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Hoku wrote: »
    COMP10010 is just as the name suggests - an introduction to programming.

Any clue about COMP10020, the follow on, Semester2 module?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dave26992

comp 10020 is simply a follow in the sense that it broadens your knowledge of c or c++ or whatever you did in sem 1, not much more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mr.u

I was involved in COMP40010, this course covers (among other things):
    - General performance issues with Linux
    - Performance counters with Java, Java internals (GC behaviour, memory settings, etc.)
    - Monitoring performance within JBoss
    - Performance testing (via http)
    - Identifying issues withing an unknown application

Advertisement