Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy nipping

• 27-12-2013 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi looking for advice on hiw to stop a pup nipping and biting. I've tried water spritz which she tries to attack, crating and tapping on the nose. The problem is she is constantly doing it all the time, to everyone and everything. If I crate her every time she would constantly be crated. At first the water worked but I think now she bites purposely to be sprayed because she enjoys snapping at it and trying to catch the water in her mouth. When I scold her she snaps at me. I will bring her to proper trainging sessions but I think she's too young for them yet at 14 weeks old. Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Toulouse wrote: »

Please OP, sign up to the above site and read it all carefully.
    Everything you've described gives great example as to why water guns, tapping the nose, or using physical aversives are just not effective, and other unwanted behaviours are appearing as a bye-product of the punishments you've been using.
    Select a Time Out Zone, and use it properly and appropriately. If I were you, I'd be investing my training budget in getting a qualified trainer out to your home, to address your issues, with your family, with your dog. These sort of one-to-one sessions trump a dozen puppy obedience classes any day.

Link to a thread about a similar problem:

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057024250/1/#post86203484

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Also if you are looking for a trainer don't forget to find one that uses only positive techniques and who is preferably registered with the APDT http://apdt.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I have a lot of reading to do.
    As for the trainer, I have been looking at the one recommended by the dspca who does home visits.

• Advertisement

samina wrote: »
    As for the trainer, I have been looking at the one recommended by the dspca who does home visits.

I'd be inclined to go with a trainer who's qualified instead, ie with some sort of recognised, independent qualification behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

If it's who I think samina is referring to, I don't believe she needs to be worrying about that with this person. But still, certainly an important point.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    If it's who I think samina is referring to, I don't believe she needs to be worrying about that with this person. But still, certainly an important point.

Do you not think so? I'd prefer, when I go researching a service provider who's going to be doing stuff with my dog, that they are absolutely up front and transparent about where they did their training. I see no evidence if this with this trainer other than the vaguest of mentions of vague places abroad, with vague mentions about a speciality that I don't believe exists within the course they claim to have done. I'm not saying they haven't done what they say, but I'm mystified as to why they don't list the credentials they say they have. I'd also like to see that they're signed up with a recognised professional association.
    Truth of the matter is that there are other trainers who cover the same area, who are demonstrably qualified, certified, better, and cheaper. OP, I'm happy to recommend you details on these trainers if you wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

What breed of dog do you have OP? Some breeds, like GSDs are terrible land sharks for the first few months. At 14 weeks your pup is only a baby, and they play by mouthing and nipping- which of course is very painful from sharp puppy teeth. The best thing to do is stop all forms of play IMMEDIATELY and redirect your pup to a substitute chewable toy. It takes a little practice and everybody needs to be on board in the house, but honestly, nipping and chewing is party of puppyhood and they soon grow out of it with the right consistent redirection. A sharp high pitched 'NO' and remove yourself from the nipping zone will be a step in the right direction, they catch on fast that nipping= no fun very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

@DBB - Is it okay if I drop you a PM?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement

VonVix wrote: »
    @DBB - Is it okay if I drop you a PM?

Of course :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

OP, let out a yelp and turn your back on the pup for a couple of minutes. They soon learn that nipping means you won't play with them and stop doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

That's how I trained my dog not to nip like kylith says. Dogs let other dogs know it hurts by letting out a loud high pitched yelp and then going away from them. My puppy learn't really quickly after I consistantly did this every time, only took a few days.

Advertisement