Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC One to HTC One Google Play Edition

• 27-12-2013 8:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭

So I was tempted to get me a Nexus 5 as I really wanted the stock android experience but I cannot afford to change right now.

Currently I have a HTC One and the last time I had looked (around 6-7 months back) you couldnt convert the Sense version of the HTC One to a full fledged GPE (Google Play Edition) BUT.... this seems to have changed!

So I am giving serious consideration to converting my phone over (it can be switched back later) its a full conversion not just a ROM emulating it meaning you can get all the OTA updates etc... for any interested guide here:

http://htc-one.wonderhowto.com/how-to/convert-any-htc-one-into-stock-google-play-edition-with-bootloader-recovery-ota-updates-0148068/

DISCLAIMER: If you do it and it bricks your phone its your own fault i'm taking NO responsibility!

I haven't done it yet as I need to Root and S-OFF first. Will let ye know.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'm thinking of doing the same. If you do root and get s-off, can you post the links you followed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Yup will do. Going to do it when I get home later me thinks... i've resisted tinkering with this phone but now I got a nexus 7 for xmas I really want Stock android on my phone too... its much nicer.. the clock app alone is savage looking compared to HTC's I dont understand why companies get rid of nice interfaces like that.

The only thing I'll miss from the Sense version is the TV app but it must be possible to sideload the apk.

The only thing I'll miss from the Sense version is the TV app but it must be possible to sideload the apk.

I never used it anyway so wont miss it.. but:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.htc.sample.ir

or:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.remotefairy

etc... and ya probably find the apk somewhere too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I've just returned to sense 5.5 and 4.3 from the Google play edition.

It was by far my best experience with stock android and could have used it longer if it wasn't for the horrible drain caused by having Google now on the home screen in 4.4.

The people and camera apps a still awful on stock android imo and I missed BlinkFeed.

Will be interested to hear your opinions though.

• Advertisement

Fionny, what version of Moonshine did you use? I've a Vodafone branded HTC One and the versions do not sync up.

My Build version is 3.63.161.6.

Moonshine has:

HTC One Vodafone Windows 1.29.161.11
    HTC One Vodafone Windows 1.29.163.11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I dont think moonshine works on the latest firmware, I used Romrunner a month ago.

Right meant to post all the guides I used (working perfectly) had to mix and match around as some of the guides left out the steps.

1. Unlock bootloader and install custom recovery (UNLOCKING BOOTLOADER WILL WIPE PHONE!!!! BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP) use this guide:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2265618

NOTE STEP 7 in the flashing custom recovery didnt work so I skipped it and went to step 11.

For the recovery I used TWRM.

To get Super User you can ignore steps in the guide, instead when you boot into TWRM recovery and then exit it the first time it will ask you if you want to install SU. Agree boot up the phone and enter the bare min of info to get to your home screen. Then find SU in your applications and follow prompts (need to update from play store)

2. Once Rooted fully you can proceed to S-OFF, I followed this guide (using rum runner instead):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2488772

It failed the first time for me (right after the phone asked for SU permissions) just run it again if it happens... this takes a while just bare with it.

3. Install GPE ROM: http://htc-one.wonderhowto.com/how-to/convert-any-htc-one-into-stock-google-play-edition-with-bootloader-recovery-ota-updates-0148068/

I followed the steps and it all worked as expected, just ignore the very last step about going into recovery after ROM has installed... just reboot.

Thanks, currently trying Rumrunner. Seems to be doing the trick.....

Do you need to change the modelid?
    When i attempt to flash the RUU I get:

C:\sdk-tools>fastboot.exe flash zip RUU-HTC_One_GE-2.14.1700.15.zip
    target reported max download size of 1526722560 bytes
    sending 'zip' (467625 KB)...
    OKAY [ 20.604s]
    writing 'zip'...
    (bootloader) zip header checking...
    (bootloader) zip info parsing...
    (bootloader) checking model ID...
    FAILED (remote: 41 model id check fail)
    finished. total time: 21.020s

• Advertisement

I didnt change my model id but it does have to be one of a few so check what it is, list of what it must be:

modelid: PN0710000
    modelid: PN0711000
    modelid: PN0712000
    modelid: PN0713000
    modelid: PN0714000
    modelid: PN071****
    cidnum: 11111111
    cidnum: T-MOB010
    cidnum: CWS__001
    cidnum: BS_US001
    cidnum: GOOGL001

taken from: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2358781

You can modify some text file in the zip to include yours otherwise I think

I changed it to PN0712000 (same as the tutorial) and after thinking i'd bricked my phone, re-started the bootloader and successfully flashed the RUU.

Thanks for the help. Will spend the rest of the day getting re-acquainted with stock android. I've missed it.

Its nerve racking stuff alright, I thought i'd goosed the phone once last night too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Folks once you get S-OFF (using RumRunner), just change the CID to all 1's (8 of them) and you can then flash any RUU. While still in the bootloader, type this in ADB:

fastboot oem writecid 11111111

Then move any update.zip from any RUU for the HTC to the root of the SD cars and reboot the bootloader, it will automatically detect the new file and flash away automatically. This will wipe the phone so remember to backup.

How you finding stock?

I must say im liking it, I love the stock clock app, its brilliant I really dont know why the others replace it, it looks better then any other and it works perfectly.

Battery seems on par with what it was on Sense.

I've had no problems so far. I enabled the new Android Runtime in the developer settings. The battery is lasting a good bit longer now.
    Everything runs a lot smoother and I'm also not getting the micro-stutters in chrome any longer.

Thats changing it from Dalvik to ART? I saw that but was afraid to change it, but doing so now.

Found this for anyone else interested:

http://www.infinum.co/the-capsized-eight/articles/art-vs-dalvik-introducing-the-new-android-runtime-in-kit-kat

Advertisement