Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PW Draft 2014 - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭glenjamin

I've participated in the last 4 Drafts achieving a personal best 3rd last year. Unfortunately I won't be partaking in this years Draft. Anyone new to the forum or thinking of entering for a first time I'd highly recommend doing so. The Draft is the highlight of the PW Forum calendar year. As fun as it is to make your picks and rearrange any potential feuds, the writeup really can take it out of you as does the amount of reading needed. Good luck to everyone this year. I look forward in particular to reading MNG's writeup, and to see him make it 3 in a row.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

How will BH get his company back that's all I want to know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

DM-ICE wrote: »
    How will BH get his company back that's all I want to know.

Ha

Will have to re read last years instalment from the BWA universe again but who knows I might not even be able to successfully redraft the fellah who stole it away from former chairman BH (who a few years ago was actually revealed to be Jay Leno!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,302 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

glenjamin wrote: »
    I've participated in the last 4 Drafts achieving a personal best 3rd last year. Unfortunately I won't be partaking in this years Draft. Anyone new to the forum or thinking of entering for a first time I'd highly recommend doing so. The Draft is the highlight of the PW Forum calendar year. As fun as it is to make your picks and rearrange any potential feuds, the writeup really can take it out of you as does the amount of reading needed. Good luck to everyone this year. I look forward in particular to reading MNG's writeup, and to see him make it 3 in a row.

That's a shame glenjamin you will be missed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

PW Draft time again, ah well there goes my next 3 months...Im in like flynn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

My first was last year. It's always great gas. I'm thinking if taking part. Maybe I can continue some fueds from last year .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I enjoyed my write ups, I will thank the picks done ahead of mé for when I got asked to step in.
    I wont be a sub this year in for the long haul, would like to keep a few bits from my last write ups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

My suggestion for this year would be to perhaps have rounds 13, 14, 15 effectively joined into one round, so that instead this year each player takes three picks in round 13 which would be the final round.

I think that might help alleviate the traditional end of draft wane in the final round picks. Perhaps make this last round dependent on previous round placings, i.e. the person with the worst average goes first, 2nd worst goes second etc. and the best average goes last.

By this stage in the game the better picks tend to be taken and so people are pretty much tying up loose ends. This might make it a bit more interesting. Then again there may be drawbacks I'm not seeing. What do you all think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I definitely would be up for this for my first time if there is enough spaces, been reading over past ones, seems like a top idea for a thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Id love to give this a go this year... Rekindle some past rivalries! Just dont know if i could commit 100% or not with work commitments.. Hmmmmmmm

• Advertisement

Id love to give this a go this year... Rekindle some past rivalries! Just dont know if i could commit 100% or not with work commitments.. Hmmmmmmm

In a recent interview with wrestlingdirtsheet.com former BWA Chairman Bounty Hunter was questioned about a number of things including his quest to regain control of his company but one interesting quote related to the competing promoters in the monday night wars:
    god I wish that Polish Catholic Jew would roll on Shabbos and get his PPVs back up and running so we could show him what really happens when you f*ck a stranger in the ass! cos just like Donny he was out of his F'n element with that WECWF nonsense and if they did resurface they would be entering a world of pain.

He went on to insult MNG promotions too and claim he will take their crown once he regains control of his promotion but its not sure wether his words were meant to be taken seriously or if he was trying to coax his old rival back into competition, but what is known for sure is he was waving an empty bottle of Jameson about while he made these statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Im gonna give it a go. If ATH is anything to go by, I will enjoy this just as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lebowskilite

My first draft was last year and I enjoyed it very much. Definitely coming back and hope I'm able for it once again. iirc my own brand ICW snatched up the CWA Legend's Belt last year and it had a cameo at our PPV. Where did the story go from there??

Something that niggles with me is the randomness of the picks, and I have two suggestions (in short): 1) Make Round 3 a "balancing round" in which people's order of pick is dictated by their average from the 1st two rounds. OR 2) Have round 2's order be a reversal of round 1s. Either one could be extended for every third or every second round but imo the opening rounds are the most important.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Campo came up with a stip idea that works quite well, but in order to ensure fairness, I think it would be a good idea this year to have Round 2 be a reverse order round.

And I definitely like MNG's suggestion of Round 13 being the final round, but with three picks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I'd be up for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

After reading over the 2012 and 2013 drafts, esp MNG's posts, I am looking forward to this. Hopefully I can get a spot. Have a fair idea at what id like to do and where id like to go and what kind of stars I need to accomplish this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

My first draft was last year and I enjoyed it very much. Definitely coming back and hope I'm able for it once again. iirc my own brand ICW snatched up the CWA Legend's Belt last year and it had a cameo at our PPV. Where did the story go from there??

Something that niggles with me is the randomness of the picks, and I have two suggestions (in short): 1) Make Round 3 a "balancing round" in which people's order of pick is dictated by their average from the 1st two rounds. OR 2) Have round 2's order be a reversal of round 1s. Either one could be extended for every third or every second round but imo the opening rounds are the most important.

Maybe this year CWA will have to invade ICW to gain legends belt back ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I fancy a crack at this too

Campo came up with a stip idea that works quite well, but in order to ensure fairness, I think it would be a good idea this year to have Round 2 be a reverse order round.

And I definitely like MNG's suggestion of Round 13 being the final round, but with three picks.

Yeah in previous years there was always discussion about the idea of reversing rounds and although some prefered the whole luck of the draw method I do think if it could even out in some manner it would be good i.e reversing some major rounds or specific rounds where you get to pick based on your average placing in rounds previously as suggested above.

1 thing I'd say though is that MNGs idea about the last 3 round may have worked better in previous years as from my reading of the OP there will only be 15 competitors this year as apposed to 20 before therfore in round 13 there will be a lot more bigger name (or perhaps just important for storyline purposes) wrestlers available and having the final 3 picks as apposed to the first 3 picks then could make a very big difference especially if there was a stip round in there.

wooo just had my working hours for Jan 2nd rescheduled, now I start at 2.30 German time so 1.30 Irish time so even with travel time I should be online when the sign up thread goes up. The BWA will (as with in every single draft thread previously) live again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,302 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'd love the first round to have a stip

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I'd love the first round to have a stip

it's happened before, The year I ran the thing (into the ground) the 3rd round was the first non stip round which was my way of diluting the importance of each of the first 3 rounds and attempting to make it more likely that even with random draws nobody would get too screwed and miss out on a big name (unless they had 3 bad draws in a row plus another later in the pre 1970 debut eligable round).

1 thing I'd say though is that MNGs idea about the last 3 round may have worked better in previous years as from my reading of the OP there will only be 15 competitors this year as apposed to 20 before therfore in round 13 there will be a lot more bigger name (or perhaps just important for storyline purposes) wrestlers available and having the final 3 picks as apposed to the first 3 picks then could make a very big difference especially if there was a stip round in there.

It's highly likely that I just forgot the typical number of entrants is 20 and mistyped <_<

As in previous years, I'll reserve spaces for previous winners and for the crew running it if they want them, but with the winners, I'll be sending round a PM asking if they want to be involved. Just cause I think it times gone by, they've not, or indeed they simply don't post here any more.

It's highly likely that I just forgot the typical number of entrants is 20 and mistyped <_<

As in previous years, I'll reserve spaces for previous winners and for the crew running it if they want them, but with the winners, I'll be sending round a PM asking if they want to be involved. Just cause I think it times gone by, they've not, or indeed they simply don't post here any more.

ahh good man then MNGs idea makes more sense to me now, Shouldnt need a place reserved for me this year (think I only had one last year and ran it the year before) as ill be here in 30mins when you stick up the thread. I used to do the same with ATH and (not sure) may have done it the year I ran the draft with regards previous winners but atleast we will hopefully have our defending champion on board as MNG is still posting here and never seems to miss a draft.

Just with regards winners....

We have MNG, who has won two years in a row. Am I right in saying the other winners were Flah, Ger. C and RebelRockChick?

From what I can see, RRC hasn't been in previous drafts for years. And are the other two winners still posting on boards under different names or something?

Just with regards winners....

We have MNG, who has won two years in a row. Am I right in saying the other winners were Flah, Ger. C and RebelRockChick?

From what I can see, RRC hasn't been in previous drafts for years. And are the other two winners still posting on boards under different names or something?

As far as I know Flah is not posting under any name at the moment. Ger C went off to Dubai or some such place and pretty much stopped posting. RRC I did contact previously and seh was nice enough to pm me back saying she wasn't interested at the time but appreciated the invite but she hasnt posted on boards (perhaps except the odd 1 off post) for a few years now iirc.

I think that is everyone though as Ive been around since year 1 of the draft and last year hosted BWA Wrestlemania V

Sorry for the delay. Personal drama at home :(

I ultimately didn't get in touch with the other winners. But if any get in contact with me before the picks start, we'll give them preference and work stuff out.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lebowskilite

Good luck with it all TSC, and thanks in advance for organising a great draft :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Thanks for doing this, whether I participate or not it should be fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Excited for this now lads... For any Draft virgins after signing up get ready for 2-3 months(more than likely) of sheer excitement and gleeful happiness when you get the pick you wanted.. And the utter depression of when the person in front of you picks the guy that you wanted for your battle royal.. Either way this is gonna consume you:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

I'd be up for a shot of this,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement