Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PW Draft 2014 - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Loving Walt's roster

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Loving Walt's roster

if I could trade for another roster it would be his (although there are a few fromer BWA wrestlers on there and im intentionally avoiding anyone ive had before) really surprised he was able to get all those names together on one roster, not sure what his PPV card will look like but it would sell whatever way he fits it together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Thanks lads:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lebowskilite

Walter watched his friends die face down in the mud to get that roster, and don't you forget it.

Can't start my write-up, or even a preview post, until I get a few more wrasslers. I've still got 7 more to add to the roster, by my count.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Does an announcer need to be picked to be part of a feud or does the 'only use an announcer nobody picked' cover that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I made up my own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Ill be making my own too.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lebowskilite

Does an announcer need to be picked to be part of a feud or does the 'only use an announcer nobody picked' cover that?

If they're going to do something more than announce, then I think you should draft them. PM TSC the details and see what he says though.

Well I can't really make up my own person for this role, it just wouldn't work as well. I've no problem creating my own announce team but I need this person to help make a feud work. The role will be similar to whoever used Josh Matthews (on my phone so can't easily check who it was) but will have a large role in a feud as opposed to being just a tool for interviews. At no point will they be wrestling and it isn't even a manager so I'm just unsure. I'd be fairly sure they won't be drafted by anyone else so naturally i'd prefer not to have to waste a pick of my own on them :P

Edit: Ok will send a PM when I get the chance.

If they're going to do something more than announce, then I think you should draft them. PM TSC the details and see what he says though.

yeah I mentioned a few announcers but I had them do nothing but announce things i.e they wont become part of the storyline. Also 90% of the time I will use someone that nobody is going to draft anyway (Josh Matthews for example - again only mentioning him by name cos who would waste a pick on Josh).

Now that someone has picked Cole for example im not going to have Michael Cole used in anything I do though I will have many lines like - The commentators / announce team are wondering who he could have been referring to when suddenly... but thats just my style (generic no name references) while others as suggested might create theri own ones or use undrafted ones, like (wont mention yet incase they get drafted).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Good few people could be on tonight with the RR i suppose so this round might speed up then.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Good few people could be on tonight with the RR i suppose so this round might speed up then.

ha last few pages for me highlights who is new to the draft and who isn't. For a few people the draft has slowed down massively and they were hoping to get their next 2 picks in this weekend etc, meanwhile you have someone like tbc saying how fast its gone this year and me thinking its surprising that we are now in Rd10 and ive not yet posted this this year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

RE: Announcers.

If someone drafts an announcer, they are obviously off limits.

Personally, I also feel unless you draft someone, then they should be off limits too. The point of the draft is to get a number of characters people are familiar with, but only a limited number of characters. If people use announcers who weren't picked, whats to stop them using wrestlers who weren't picked too?

It's really simple to create one. I even think most don't even put characters on the announcers, but just use them as breaks in paragraphs of descriptive text to further a story.

RE: Announcers.

If someone drafts an announcer, they are obviously off limits.

Personally, I also feel unless you draft someone, then they should be off limits too. The point of the draft is to get a number of characters people are familiar with, but only a limited number of characters. If people use announcers who weren't picked, whats to stop them using wrestlers who weren't picked too?

It's really simple to create one. I even think most don't even put characters on the announcers, but just use them as breaks in paragraphs of descriptive text to further a story.

So I should draft this person then? I'd a feeling I would need to draft them anyway but if you want people that will only be announcing/interviewing to be drafted as well then that makes my query much more straight forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I'm still on the same stance as last year, I don't see the point in drafting announcers unless they are being used for a story line. For example just using them so you can say "Justin Roberts announces the two men" is a waste in my eyes as no one will give some the voting edge just because they said they have such and such on commentary.

I know someone got really annoyed last year because people mention commentators names in their write ups (Not being involved with any story) and it lead to a big discussion on it, did it ever get 100% resolved?

So I should draft this person then? I'd a feeling I would need to draft them anyway but if you want people that will only be announcing/interviewing to be drafted as well then that makes my query much more straight forward.

Well, what I'd say is....does drafting such a person increase the strength of the roster?

To use tbc's example, I personally wouldn't be inclined to vote for someone because they use "Justin Roberts says...." as opposed to "the announcer says...." and would think that a draft pick could be better used to bring in someone else than an announcer like that.

But then there's some announcers who are characters as well and may increase the value of the roster through their participation; last year (I think), I drafted two announcers who would be iconic in their abilities. But I also put them into a tag team feud as well, with a match on the PPV.

It's up to you. If you think they'll garner more votes or let you write a better story line, then draft them to tie them up. But for the most part, I find announcers, commentators, interviewers, etc are pretty generic and bland, so why not put a generic, bland no-name person in their place, and use the pick for a genuine character who might convince people to vote for you.

(...he says, hoping one particular interviewer doesn't get picked before round 13, cause he wants to use them for a storyline...)

Good first show FR, strangely from a show with HBK vs AJ Styles as a likely PPV main event im def finding myself most interested in your Kane storyline. If booked right that character can be a real badass and you have my attention so far

Well, what I'd say is....does drafting such a person increase the strength of the roster?

To use tbc's example, I personally wouldn't be inclined to vote for someone because they use "Justin Roberts says...." as opposed to "the announcer says...." and would think that a draft pick could be better used to bring in someone else than an announcer like that.

But then there's some announcers who are characters as well and may increase the value of the roster through their participation; last year (I think), I drafted two announcers who would be iconic in their abilities. But I also put them into a tag team feud as well, with a match on the PPV.

It's up to you. If you think they'll garner more votes or let you write a better story line, then draft them to tie them up. But for the most part, I find announcers, commentators, interviewers, etc are pretty generic and bland, so why not put a generic, bland no-name person in their place, and use the pick for a genuine character who might convince people to vote for you.

(...he says, hoping one particular interviewer doesn't get picked before round 13, cause he wants to use them for a storyline...)

I wouldn't say they'd increase the strength of the roster, not when judging rosters alone. This person is certainly not a big name anyway, and doesn't really bring much character wise either. But since I am planning on involving them in a feud as opposed to just calling the match or being a segue for a backstage interview then I guess I would need to draft them to keep things fair. That said the role could be interchangeable with other possible picks and I've more important people to choose before this anyway, I just wanted to clear up my confusion to help me plan ahead.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Good first show FR, strangely from a show with HBK vs AJ Styles as a likely PPV main event im def finding myself most interested in your Kane storyline. If booked right that character can be a real badass and you have my attention so far

Cheers , Yea ive a few ideas but want to make sure i dont do a TNA and do it all really quick . I just wanna pace all the storylines and not rush them

Cheers , Yea ive a few ideas but want to make sure i dont do a TNA and do it all really quick . I just wanna pace all the storylines and not rush them

The strength of your tag division really is unreal. Any combination of matches would be good to watch

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

The strength of your tag division really is unreal. Any combination of matches would be good to watch

Yea as i said previously this year has really been planned out a bit more , since previous years id just pick random wrestlers

I have my first show written but it includes a few picks I've not been able to make yet. I'll try and edit it a bit after I pick this round and see if it still reads the same. I'm quite a bit happier with it than I thought I would be. I'll try and get an overview post up before it to give a bit of 'history' for what I imagine has happened in the company in the build up to this. Hopefully I can get my 2/3 remaining must-sign picks or I'll be scrapping multiple plans :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Hope Liz gets on before 9 for the pick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,305 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sorry for the delay again should have my pick up soon damn Walt took Malenko on me

DAMN IT!!!!!!

There goes my loop hole pick and my plans for Jackson >:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

DAMN IT!!!!!!

Hard luck TBC

Rampage is there for trades if anyone wants him

Am honestly surprised he lasted this long. The character works on so many different levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,305 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

DAMN IT!!!!!!

Sorry thebostoncrab but I'm thinking of adding him into my main event scene now as him against Angle and/or Sandow could be great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Great pick. Should have been gone earlier. I had him picked for an earlier round but zeb coulter got nabbed. Had Zeb and swagger pencilled in for a feud against a face Mohammad. As soon as Zeb got snatched I changed my plans

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement