Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil usage

Options
  • 27-12-2013 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hey people,

I've moved into a detached 4 bed bungalow which is heated by oil. I filled the tank with 550l and have the heating on for 2 hours 3times a day (so 6 hours a day).

Anyone have any idea how long the oil will last?

Cheers,

Stu

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Where is the oil tank, and how much of the pipe going from the oil tank to the house is underground?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭lau1247

What temp is the thermostat set at?? Also do you turn off the radiator for the rooms you don't use??

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

lau1247 wrote: »
    What temp is the thermostat set at?? Also do you turn off the radiator for the rooms you don't use??

Turning off stats didn't equal a saving, if rooms are poorly insulated then the cold rooms draw hear from the rest if the house and it ends up being more costly.

Check the boiler type, details should be in the stats as regards burn rate. Convert the number if litres to kwh use an energy conversion table. Find the output from the table divide by efficiency and determine how much fuel it'll burn

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Morning All

I'm in a 4 bed detached, property is about 5 years old. I'm burning about 3.5 Litres an hour in that helps!

ted1 wrote: »
    Turning off stats didn't equal a saving, if rooms are poorly insulated then the cold rooms draw hear from the rest if the house and it ends up being more costly

It doesn't equal saving based on the 'if' condition but Controlling temperature definitely help, which is why i ask OP regarding the parameters.

Regarding if the room is poorly insulated, i have no way of knowing that do i?

• Advertisement

I live in a shared 4 bed detach house (badly insulated one at that), we run it 4 hours a day, one in the morning before waking up and three in the evening after work, 350 litre lasted 2.5 month so far, if that helps

lau1247 wrote: »
    It doesn't equal saving based on the 'if' condition but Controlling temperature definitely help, which is why i ask OP regarding the parameters.

Regarding if the room is poorly insulated, i have no way of knowing that do i?
    Turning off a rad isn't controlling the temperature

Turning off a rad isn't controlling the temperature

Not quite turning off all radiator, there is a temp control at the boiler that you can set for it to heat to. That is the one i'm on about

• Registered Users Posts: 82,649 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Very much depends on the boiler, something from 10 years ago could burn up to double a current energy efficient boiler.

If your tank has a gauge measure the weekly use, if it doesn't stick a bamboo stick or brush handle in it and take a weekly reading for an estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Stuart085

The boiler is a really old rusty thing in an outhouse about a metre away from my back door and the tank is directly behind that if that helps. I don't own the House we're living in so I probably won't get anywhere asking for a replacement. Hopefully the 550 litres I bought will last the winter. The House is really well insulated although I need to bleed the rads at some stage as they bang Sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Stuart085 wrote: »
    The boiler is a really old rusty thing in an outhouse about a metre away from my back door and the tank is directly behind that if that helps.
    The reason I asked about the pipe is that in the cold weather, pipes can sometimes burst. If you can see this (well, you'll smell it anyhoos), grand, it gets fixed. If the pipe is below ground, and it bursts, you'll find you'll be going through oil fairly quickly (lived in a house in Naas, and went through £500 of oil in little under a month; pipes were underground, and we could smell the oil near the end of the month :().

the_syco wrote: »
    The reason I asked about the pipe is that in the cold weather, pipes can sometimes burst. If you can see this (well, you'll smell it anyhoos), grand, it gets fixed. If the pipe is below ground, and it bursts, you'll find you'll be going through oil fairly quickly (lived in a house in Naas, and went through £500 of oil in little under a month; pipes were underground, and we could smell the oil near the end of the month :().

House insurance will cover this. I could cost about 20k to decontaminate the area if that much oil leaked. Happened to a colleague of mine

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Turning off stats didn't equal a saving, if rooms are poorly insulated then the cold rooms draw hear from the rest if the house and it ends up being more costly.
    Can we see your plumbing or building services qualifications? Because you are very wrong.

Assuming doors are kept closed, shutting down parts of the heating system will always be cheaper than running the full system. While there will be some heat loss from warm rooms to cold rooms, that will be less than the loss from all hot rooms to the outside.
    Check the boiler type, details should be in the stats as regards burn rate. Convert the number if litres to kwh use an energy conversion table. Find the output from the table divide by efficiency and determine how much fuel it'll burn
    Whut?

Victor wrote: »
    Can we see your plumbing or building services qualifications? Because you are very wrong.

Assuming doors are kept closed, shutting down parts of the heating system will always be cheaper than running the full system. While there will be some heat loss from warm rooms to cold rooms, that will be less than the loss from all hot rooms to the outside.

Whut?
    I am saying that if you look up the boiler output and efficiency you can calculate the input required to obtain this and hence the litres used per hour

I can show you my MSc in energy management. Your assuming the room is insulated which is generally not the case in houses, cold rooms will create a draft and heat loss .Plumbers or people in building services don't generally have qualifications in insulation.

Great that your a moderator can you show me your qualification

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Stuart085 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea how long the oil will last?
    Back of envelope calc:
    37 days +/- 20%

Advertisement