Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downlighting with shallow void above ceiling

Options
  • 27-12-2013 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone would have any suggestions for down lighters that will fit in a a space that is 90mm from the bottom of the ceiling slab to the fireproof slabs above it. I know halogens are out of the question due to the heat they generate but are there any LED type lights that require less space around them?

Would GU10 be out of the question as there would be a risk of someone fitting halogen bulbs in them?

I have found some fire rated down lighters with a height of 86mm but they require 160mm of space between the ceiling slab and the slab above it.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

90mm is tight for any standard fitting

the led fitting shouldn't require 160 clearance above..not sure where they're getting that from

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

Thinking Ill go for these:

http://www.lightrabbit.ie/frosted-7w-integrated-led-downlight-590-lumens-952.html

They seem to fit, I'm just going to contact them to make sure they will have enough breathing room around them. I've seen 20mm quoted as being enough on similar lights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Would short can IC downlighters be a solution? you have 90mm plus the thickness of the slab to play with, are you using insulated slab on your ceiling or standard 12.5mm/half inch in old money?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

Would short can IC downlighters be a solution? you have 90mm plus the thickness of the slab to play with, are you using insulated slab on your ceiling or standard 12.5mm/half inch in old money?

Do you have any links to those lights? I only have 90mm including the slab unfortunately, its just standard slab. I have seen short firerated holders for gu10 bulbs but I'd be afraid that someone could fit a gu10 halogens in them.

Thanks

Advertisement