Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Mr Ledwidge

• 27-12-2013 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Ive heard Mr Ledwidge from ledwidges on the main street in Bray has died. Sad day. Everyone had a story about him.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ah thats sad.

Wonder what will happen to the shop

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

ITS NOT FOR SALE...GET OUT!!! :mad::mad::mad:

:D

Shine on you Crazy Diamond Mr Ledwidge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

R.I.P. Mr. Ledwidge. Saw him a couple of weeks ago in church. A very interesting man with interesting stories, I am honoured he shared some with me.

Can I ask when he died and was it at home? Also, does anyone know when the funeral will be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

I see he died on Christmas Eve in Blackrock Hospice and the funeral was yesterday:

http://www.rip.ie/showdn.php?dn=212721/AndrewLEDWIDGE/Bray/Wicklow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

RIP, he was a character alright, I think his motto was the 'customer is never right.'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Ah thats sad.

Wonder what will happen to the shop

Whatever the outcome I hope the shopfront can be preserved in some form. Whatever else about the shop or its late owner that front is one of very few authentic old shopfronts in the locale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Whatever the outcome I hope the shopfront can be preserved in some form. Whatever else about the shop or its late owner that front is one of very few authentic old shopfronts in the locale

Ledwidge.JPG

As I posted ages ago in another thread, Ledwidge's was a 'one-off' and back in the day (1960s) when his mother used to preside over the business she dispensed Green Shield stamps as if they were her own life savings. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Ledwidge.JPG

As I posted ages ago in another thread, Ledwidge's was a 'one-off' and back in the day (1960s) when his mother used to preside over the business she dispensed Green Shield stamps as if they were her own life savings. :D

What are green shield stamps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

foxy06 wrote: »
    What are green shield stamps?

They were stamps usually awarded when buying petrol and which you put in an album. When you collected a large quantity you could redeem them against all sorts of wonderful gifts - see pic. The head office was in Dundrum. Some other retailers such as Ledwidge's also gave them but in their case you had to prise the stamps out of his mother - they weren't offered!

685169-green-shield-stamp-saver-book-c1973.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

Was only thinking that I didn't see him in there the other day, there was some other guy who looked just as grumpy.

He was grand once you got past the initial gruffness but I would love to now get a proper chance to have a look around that shop ...never made it past the counter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

A friend of mine and myself went in one day to buy a door mat and we asked him for a measuring tape to measure the mat because it was to fit in a well at the front door. He refused to give us a tape unless we bought it saying if we used it to measure the mat then it would be secondhand. He certainly was a character. Sometimes he would refuse to take a €50 note and would tell you to go elsewhere to spend your money. A landmark shop and will be missed by some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

I just always liked how it advertised both cycles and radios on the shopfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭insomniac86

Wow I just saw this thread and had no idea I figured he went on holidays for the Christmas. What a huge loss to the community, he was one of a kind and he'll be missed. I do hope the shop stays whoever gets it, it was always handy for the bits and bobs you couldn't usually get anywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

When I was a kid (In the 80's), my mother sent me down to buy some 6" masonry nails.
    So in I go up to the counter to where Mr Ledwidge was standing (A very tall man to my small 14 year old frame)

Mr L - And how can I help you young man?
    Me - Em, My mum said I have to get six inch nails
    Mr L - And how many of these six inch nails do you need?
    Me - I think ten..
    Mr L - Are they for wood or masonry?
    Me - For hammering into the garden wall mister...
    Mr L - Hmmm, .. you will be needing the hardware section down the back of the shop, ... go-on..
    Me - Ok, yes, sorry mister.

Mr L then proceeds to put on a white overcoat and go down behind the "Hardware" counter at the back of the desk where I am standing.

Mr L - Yes?, How can I help you young man?

It was like a sketch from the two ronnies as I had to again explain what I wanted.

Funny fella.

Advertisement