Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea vs Liverpool

• 27-12-2013 10:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭

Get it on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

(bang a gong?)

Jose to park the bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ending mourinhos record at the bridge would be great going into the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

This will be another park the bus game from Chelsea, IMO. I'd be happy with a draw here. I was happy with a draw the other night against Arsenal, I'll be equally happy with a draw against Liverpool.

If Liverpool score first, however, I could see them winning it without much bother. Chelsea will need to go out attacking then, and Liverpool could easily catch them. Suarez will eat Chelsea's defence alive (pun intended) if given the chance.

I honestly think that Chelsea will just defend-defend-defend and it'll end 0-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

mike65 wrote: »
    (bang a gong?)

Jose to park the bus.

At home? Probably not. Although with him, you never know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

2-2 draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Difficult to predict...

If Liverpool maintain their recent performance level they can win this.

However it remains to be seen how a thin Liverpool squad will cope with this game after an intense, fast-paced game against City... Chelsea have far more options to rotate.

Chelsea being at home, the impetus will be on them to win this and I'm sure Mourinho will set his out side to do so.

I'll go for 1-1, which I'd be happy with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm really confident going into this and I'm never confident going into Liverpool games. So....2-1 Chelsea obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Chelsea under Mourinho are usually pretty good at shutting games down against teams that play pretty football a la Arsenal the last night. Would not surprise me if they did the same to Liverpool. Could see this being a low scoring draw maybe. Think both managers would take the point and move on.

Liverpool will have to defend the set piece better with Terry and Ivanovic around though. Isn't Ramires suspended?

A big question I think is will Liverpool recover in time from the City game? Put a lot of effort into that one while Chelsea were strolling to a facile win over Swansea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Be a tight game prob 1-0 to Chelsea
    City were able to keep Suarez quiet . No doubt Chelsea will attempt same

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Liverpool win but Chelsea will park the bus and give us a scare on the counter attack.

Our defense is lacking but Liverpool's approach of just trying to outscore the opposition will work tomorrow.

• Advertisement

I've never heard so much optimism from Liverpool fans regarding this fixture the past few days.

Chelsea win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Really up for Liverpool here. Rodgers vs. Mourinho? No contest in terms of who I want to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

liverpool without a doubt. we have nothing to fear here. who is better than liverpool in this league? no-one. have the craic lads, this is an easy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Isn't Ramires suspended?

That he is. Both he and Luiz were a booking away from getting suspended for this one, so why either of them were played in the Swansea game is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

When's this on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

monkey9 wrote: »
    When's this on?

Sunday, 4pm.

Chelsea at home, welcome to Dullsville.

They simply do not lose at Stamford Bridge though, but Liverpool are more than good enough to get a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

J. Marston wrote: »
    Sunday, 4pm.

Chelsea at home, welcome to Dullsville.

They simply do not lose at Stamford Bridge though, but Liverpool are more than good enough to get a draw.

Cheers. It's the usual Christmas time of not knowing what day it is or when anything is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I can't see anything other than a Chelsea win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Ramires is a massive miss for Chelsea so I can see Jose going with a Mikel, Lampard, Sideshow Bob midfield three. They are going to need three in there to deal with runs from Henderson and Coutinho.

Hazard is going to eat Johnson alive....so if he gets on the score sheet, I wouldn't be surprised. Likewise though, Suarez will probably attach himself to Terry and try to do the same so it will be interesting.

Both teams have had serious issues this season conceding from setpieces so I think a narrow 2-1 home win with 2 out of the 3 goals coming from dead ball situations is the most likely outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Kirby wrote: »
    Ramires is a massive miss for Chelsea so I can see Jose going with a Mikel, Lampard, Sideshow Bob midfield three. They are going to need three in there to deal with runs from Henderson and Coutinho.

Hazard is going to eat Johnson alive....so if he gets on the score sheet, I wouldn't be surprised. Likewise though, Suarez will probably attach himself to Terry and try to do the same so it will be interesting.

Both teams have had serious issues this season conceding from setpieces so I think a narrow 2-1 home win with 2 out of the 3 goals coming from dead ball situations is the most likely outcome.

I can Chelsea doubling up on Suarez, also I think they'll sit back and hopefully catch Liverpool on the break, I think the game is set up for a Torres winner, though with Suarez in this form he's likely to do something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

No way hazard will eat Johnson alive, very hot and cold player.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I think you meant suarez is going to eat ivanovic alive:pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

ba dum dissssh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I've never heard so much optimism from Liverpool fans regarding this fixture the past few days.

Chelsea win.

Are you surprised? LFC are in great form and would be a test for anyone at the moment. Should we be pessimistic? I don't think so......we'll go there thinking we can win and why not?

It wont be easy as Chelsea are a very good side and are clear favourites for obvious reasons but we'll give them a game......

1-1 draw for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Liverpool due a bad performance and Chelsea due a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Gunna be a fairly poor game. Im gunna say nil all. All the attacking talent chelsea have and playing at home they will try and hit pool on the break. Hopefully liverpools movement will be too much they will score a goal or two and chelsea will have to come out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

rob316 wrote: »
    Gunna be a fairly poor game. Im gunna say nil all. All the attacking talent chelsea have and playing at home they will try and hit pool on the break. Hopefully liverpools movement will be too much they will score a goal or two and chelsea will have to come out.

All the attacking options don't mean much without a striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Really up for a Liverpool victory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Chelsea 2-1 win for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

No way hazard will eat Johnson alive, very hot and cold player.

So what if he's hot? He'll....errmmm....eat Johnson alive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Who wouldn't want to eat a hot Johnson?

ooh-matron-with-text1.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Any time Liverpool have played a decent team this year they have lost, I have no idea where their fans confidence is coming from going into this game.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Any time Liverpool have played a decent team this year they have lost, I have no idea where their fans confidence is coming from going into this game.

three fiddy

Bit harsh on Manchester Utd there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Chelsea will win 2-0 and I'll win the lotto. My first purchase shall be a boat.
    Fcukin love a boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

mike65 wrote: »
    Bit harsh on Manchester Utd there!

Very good though. Did make me chuckle.

Hate nonsense like this. They beat United and suddenly United are a bad team. They hammer Spurs and suddenly Spurs are a bad team. No doubt if they beat Chelsea on Sunday it would make Chelsea a bad team and so on, so on, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Going on City performance Liverpool can win this.

I will go 1-1, but if any team can win I think it will be Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Going on City performance Liverpool can win this.

I will go 1-1, but if any team can win I think it will be Liverpool.

My feelings on the game right here.

• Advertisement

I'd be a bit worried about fatigue from a Liverpool perspective. City were very flat today after the midweek game and were fortunate to beat Palace to be honest. And they could afford to rotate their team. Liverpool will probably have the same side out tomorrow. Albeit they have an extra 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'd be a bit worried about fatigue from a Liverpool perspective. City were very flat today after the midweek game and were fortunate to beat Palace to be honest. And they could afford to rotate their team. Liverpool will probably have the same side out tomorrow. Albeit they have an extra 24 hours.

If this game was say Tuesday I be putting few quid on Liverpool.

That would be my only concern if I was Pool fan.

On current form though ye have nothing to fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Lukker- wrote: »
    All the attacking options don't mean much without a striker.

I don't care how good Chelsea are on the break if we can't convert the breaks in to scores. Suarez will be the difference, I think. Whether we can hold him enough, or, he gets on the ball. To me that's the worry. Not if we can score on the break 'cause unless Torres has (another) turn in scoring form, it will be waiting for Suarez to break.
    1 2 pool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Hate nonsense like this. They beat United and suddenly United are a bad team. They hammer Spurs and suddenly Spurs are a bad team. No doubt if they beat Chelsea on Sunday it would make Chelsea a bad team and so on, so on, etc.

Eerily similar to the type of 'punditry' that Eamon Dunphy comes out with at times.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

This really is a game that can go either way. Logic would dictate a sterile game with us being focused on keeping Suarez quiet and Liverpool looking to keep us from scoring on a break (they sure as hell won't be worried about our striker whoever we play though I suspect it will be Nando).
    If our attacking midfield get the passing game going it can be a joy to watch and difficult to defend against, that does not happen near enough though. Suarez is one of the best players in the world at the moment and our defence is pretty dire (even with two clean sheets on the trot it is only papering over the cracks).

This could be a classic but a scrappy 1-0 win will do me fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Our record against Liverpool at the Bridge is sh*te.

Id take a draw tomorrow but Im hoping and expecting a win, any team hoping to win or be in with a shout of winning the league come April/May has to win the majority of their home games.

For our team id guess it'll be either (4-3-3)

Cech
    Ivan Luiz Jt Azp
    lamps mikel oscar
    Willian Torres Hazard

OR (4-2-3-1)

Cech
    Ivan Luiz JT Azp
    Mikel Lamps
    Willian Oscar Hazard
    Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I wouldn't read much into this unbeaten home record either it's a much different and IMO weaker Chelsea team right now. Liverpool absolutely can win but will they is another story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

rob316 wrote: »
    I wouldn't read much into this unbeaten home record either it's a much different and IMO weaker Chelsea team right now. Liverpool absolutely can win but will they is another story.
    As Kevin Keegan would say...i'd love it, love it.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Anything could happen in this game tomorrow for me. Johnson has been poor enough lately but iirc he tends to up his game v Chelsea (old club).

Not happy at all with Liverpool's defence but i dont fear Torres (or any other Chelsea striker on his own) either.

I think it may be an important factor for Liverpool that we play Coutinho and Sterling much like they did v City, tucking in, appearing everywhere except where you would expect them to be, or basically not playing traditional wide roles. Dragging the fullbacks all over the shop and creating space for the Minister for General Mayhem, Mr. Suarez.

Same with the mids really. Lamps is getting on and Ramires will be a big miss. Mikel isnt exactly Mr Creative from deep midfield either. I expect these two to be under severe pressure when they get the ball.

My over riding reservation is Countinho and Sterling getting out muscled a lot, but thats where the engine of Henderson and Allen can help.

Someone mentioned tiredness for LFC, this is true but id still fancy Henderson and Allen, Henderson is a fitness anomaly and Allen has only played 5 full league games this season.

Both would probably take a draw tomorrow and move on. Its odd but i feel LFC will set out to win it more than Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

3-1 Chelsea Torres to score 2. :D we live in hope.

• Advertisement
Advertisement