Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad Air Screen Replacement

• 28-12-2013 12:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know anyone or anywhere that does it? Can't seem to find any..

Got my wife an iPad Air for Christmas, she used it for the first time today and tonight dropped it on the floor... it's pretty broke

2013-12-27%252023.00.02.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

God if she didn't like it she didn't have to drive the car over it! She could have just told you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I should have known to get her a case, she's broken the screen on her phone twice this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

That's ... that's some pretty impressive damage...

Anyway, I've had many a screen replaced and the ONLY people I'd recommend are FixMyPc. Others just come loose after a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭mojopolo

The first time my ipad2 screen broke the Apple Store in Belfast replaced it free of charge . If you can get to the Apple Store they might just have pity on you as the Air is relatively new and they don't want bad press. The excess on the apple master care plan is £50 so if they don't give a replacement free of charge you might get way with the £50 excess.

By the way it's hard to find good cases for the ipad air (just got son one for xmas) - I don't like the apple smart covers as they can fall off easily (which is what happened with my ipad2) - again it might be worth telling Apple this.

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

What kind of floor does that kind of damage?

Maybe take out AppleCare over the phone and then give it a month for one heavily discounted replacement. Looks like more than just screen damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Holy crap did she drop it on a floor 10 storeys below her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

oh for the love of god, that used to be something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Zcott wrote: »
    What kind of floor does that kind of damage?

Maybe take out AppleCare over the phone and then give it a month for one heavily discounted replacement. Looks like more than just screen damage.

Tiled floor.. The screen actually still works.. It's just the glass over it thats broke but afaik it's all glued together, the glass has separated from the lcd itself..

2013-12-28%252000.17.44.jpg

2013-12-28%252000.18.05.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

Fair play to her. I have never seen as badly a damaged screen on an iPad/iPhone ever. Are you sure she didn't go at it with a sledgehammer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

If you do the paperwork yourself the divorce might cost less than the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭baldshin

Buy AppleCare+ over the phone quickly, for about €99. This extends the warranty to two years and also provides coverage for two incidents of accidental damage, subject to an excess. Then a few days later call back and claim for that. It'll end up cheaper than a third party vendor, plus the job will be done right(you'll get a replacement) and you'll have one more incident of accidental damage coverage as well as a warranty. Any third party work voids the warranty.

Total cost will be about €150, plus you'll have peace of mind.

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/APP_IPAD_PLUS_AUTO-112700/applecare-for-ipad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

From the apple web site
    At an Apple Retail Store (requires inspection of your iPad and proof of purchase)
    By calling (44) 0844 209 0611 (requires you to run a remote diagnostic and provide proof of purchase)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

unklerosco wrote: »
    Tiled floor.. The screen actually still works.. It's just the glass over it thats broke but afaik it's all glued together, the glass has separated from the lcd itself..
    iPad screens are all separate LCD and Digitizer(topglass and electronic digitizer), just the digitizer needs to be replaced on that, I haven't seen the digitizers for them in person yet but I believe the cost for the part alone is about €70-150 depending on grade so I'd imagine the repair will likely cost you in the region of €100-€200 depending on where you bring it and what grade of screen they are using.
    If the metal surrounding the screen in the corner is dented this will need to be pressed out, if it is badly dented the new screen will NEVER fit the same as it did when it left the factory no matter who fits it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

^^ did you look at those pics?
    Its far from just the digitizer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Blazer wrote: »
    ^^ did you look at those pics?
    Its far from just the digitizer :)
    I did yes, it is just the digitizer, the LCD is fine underneath from what I can see.
    You know the digitizer is the top glass, it has glass with the digitizer built into it the same as all ipads.
    I replace screens in that state every other day, its no biggie, the only time a problem arises is if the metal is badly damaged(dented).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭3DataModem

baldshin wrote: »
    Buy AppleCare+ over the phone quickly, for about €99. This extends the warranty to two years and also provides coverage for two incidents of accidental damage, subject to an excess. Then a few days later call back and claim for that. It'll end up cheaper than a third party vendor, plus the job will be done right(you'll get a replacement) and you'll have one more incident of accidental damage coverage as well as a warranty. Any third party work voids the warranty.

Total cost will be about €150, plus you'll have peace of mind.

Fraud? Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

What did you do in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mickyg10001

i have a similar dilemma. mine is just broken at the corner but the corner of the housing took an awful wallop. apple are prepared to fix (front and back) for 300 or if its too bad replace. what do you guys thinK? i think its too new just to press out the dent myself

Advertisement