Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currys Knowhow Service

Options
  • 28-12-2013 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭

Hi i have a television that is waiting to be collected repaired by Currys Knowhow repair service.There has been loads of complaints about this company about things like products taken extraordinary long times to get repaired.People are also complaining about things like returned so called repaired televisions that have had damaged and dirtied screens etc and then there taken away again to be repaired.Your supposed to have the right to claim for a replacement product but apparently you will have to go to hell and back to get one off them.I was waiting all day for my television to be picked up today.I rang the helpline at 1pm and i was told the driver is on his way.I rang again at 4pm and they said that the driver would call me in the next 10 minutes.I didn't get a phone call!

I rang the UK based call centre again at 5pm and they put through to some woman in an office in Dublin.The woman didn't sound overly friendly or helpful.She just said im sorry the driver had a break down earlier at midday and he won't be able to collect your television today.Why wasn't i told this as 1pm?(She spoke to me like i was a piece of rubbish stuck to her shoes.)He will come at 12 noon tomorrow instead.We'll see how this one goes.But im wondering have other people had problems with Currys/Knowhows aftersales service?Here's some reviews of the Currys/PC World Knowhow service on another site and tbh it makes for scary reading.
    http://www.trustpilot.ie/review/www.knowhow.com

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I'd avoid the grubby extended warranty in future OP, it'll be one less thing to get irked by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

DSG (Currys/PC World) have always had a terrible reputation. It's never been good, never had a brief spike of being good and is well known for being terrible. How this shower and Maplin are still in business is beyond me. The only saving grace for DSG Ireland, and only Ireland was that Declan (the previous MD) tried to sort them out, actually providing service himself in many cases. Since his departure they've returned to form, only worse because they don't realise Ireland is a different country half the time.

Rant over lets see if I can help you a bit.

How old is the TV? Do you have an extended warranty? If so do you have the documentation for it?

Currys are under an obligation to provide a remedy without significant inconvenience to you. I'd write to them at this stage outlining as they've failed to pick up the TV you're giving them ten working days to resolve the issue, including the return of the TV or you will take them to small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Bepolite wrote: »
    DSG (Currys/PC World) have always had a terrible reputation. It's never been good, never had a brief spike of being good and is well known for being terrible. How this shower and Maplin are still in business is beyond me. The only saving grace for DSG Ireland, and only Ireland was that Declan (the previous MD) tried to sort them out, actually providing service himself in many cases. Since his departure they've returned to form, only worse because they don't realise Ireland is a different country half the time.

Rant over lets see if I can help you a bit.

How old is the TV? Do you have an extended warranty? If so do you have the documentation for it?

Currys are under an obligation to provide a remedy without significant inconvenience to you. I'd write to them at this stage outlining as they've failed to pick up the TV you're giving them ten working days to resolve the issue, including the return of the TV or you will take them to small claims court.

The TV was bought in April 2012. I have the receipt for the TV and the receipt and all relevant documents for the 5 years premium cover plan. The TV was collected yesterday and i was told that it will be returned on the 9th of January. If there are further problems i will report them and ask for advice here. I was promised a loan TV under the terms of my premium coverplan agreement but when i mentioned it to the man collecting the broken TV it was the first he heard about it! To be fair to him he immediately rang the Currys/Knowhow head office in Dublin and they said that they were out of loan televisions. So i had to ring the 1890 400 001 number which put's you through to their UK based call centre and they said they will let me know early next week if a loan television will be provided. Of course there will be a problem if they fail to provide a loan TV because under the terms of my coverplan agreement i should get one. Oh and Declan was a star. It was because of the way he used to deal with the enquries on the old Currys/PC World forum that i decided to place my trust in Currys as a company to do business with. Declan did an excellent job of running the Currys/PC World forum on here. Once Declan left the service on the forum plummeted rapidly until it was shut down in the summer.

Once you get it all sorted get on to cover plan and try to cancel it on the basis:

a) You're covered under consumer rights for the repair
    b) No loan TV

I'd try the financial ombudsman if DSG won't budge, AFAIK this comes under insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

sorry to hear of the trouble you've had OP. Just wanted to chime in to say I've recently had a great experience with this service, very impressed. Bought TV almost 3 years ago, so the cover plan is due to expire mid-January.

TV broke in early December. Called them and they arranged collection for 2 days later. Driver phoned an hour before arriving, said TV would be back in 2 weeks, and then delivery was arranged exactly two weeks later and TV is working perfectly, and I was constantly updated via text alerts etc. Quite impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Branoic wrote: »
    sorry to hear of the trouble you've had OP. Just wanted to chime in to say I've recently had a great experience with this service, very impressed. Bought TV almost 3 years ago, so the cover plan is due to expire mid-January.

TV broke in early December. Called them and they arranged collection for 2 days later. Driver phoned an hour before arriving, said TV would be back in 2 weeks, and then delivery was arranged exactly two weeks later and TV is working perfectly, and I was constantly updated via text alerts etc. Quite impressed.

That's encouraging news.Im only having small niggly issues at moment.So long as they fix the TV that's the main thing.

Branoic wrote: »

While I'm glad to hear your issue was resolved this is the bear minimum service they should be giving under consumer rights, without any sort of extended warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

AOID AVOID AVOID. Staff in store are great, but beyond that, they are a cows ass to deal with.

Here was my very simple issue, turned into a mountain to climb.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056906007/1#post83729205

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

I had a really bad experience with Currys.

I got a new dishwasher and paid for an installation. 2 days later the dishwasher door fell off. They did not install it properly.

Then the fun began. 10-15 phone calls to their UK call centre, 20+ emails, several voicemails. Going round and round in circles trying to get someone to come out with never ending rubbish responses and misguiding statements.

I then emailed their UK CEO and had someone over to my house to fix the dishwasher in hours.

Total pulling your hair out awful customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - please don't turn this into a PC World/Currys bashing thread. Stick to offering specific advice to the OP

dudara

• Advertisement
Advertisement