Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need any supporting documentation for CAO

Options
  • 28-12-2013 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi Boardsies :)

Just read a few threads on this board, saw some really helpful responses so posting here hoping someone can help me.
    I will shortly apply to CAO, some degree courses, but really want to start with a diploma first so that's what I'll be aiming for. My question is, do I need any supporting documentation for CAO? I'm visually impaired, and 26. In a prievious thread I looked at, there was talk of needing leaving cert results etc, is this really necessary, as I thought once you were applying on the grounds of mature years, this didn't matter/count?
    I'm applying for IT courses just in case that makes any difference.
    Also I'm megga confused about the personal statement thing, is it an overall thing about why you want to go to college, as surely you can't post about each course you want to do on the website? What exactly is the point of the personal statement?
    Thanks for reading, and any responses greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

afterglow wrote: »
    Hi Boardsies :)

Just read a few threads on this board, saw some really helpful responses so posting here hoping someone can help me.
    I will shortly apply to CAO, some degree courses, but really want to start with a diploma first so that's what I'll be aiming for. My question is, do I need any supporting documentation for CAO? I'm visually impaired, and 26. In a prievious thread I looked at, there was talk of needing leaving cert results etc, is this really necessary, as I thought once you were applying on the grounds of mature years, this didn't matter/count?
    I'm applying for IT courses just in case that makes any difference.
    Also I'm megga confused about the personal statement thing, is it an overall thing about why you want to go to college, as surely you can't post about each course you want to do on the website? What exactly is the point of the personal statement?
    Thanks for reading, and any responses greatly appreciated.

Any information you put down in the CAO form you need to back up with certificates. You are applying on mature grounds, so they take a heap of stuff into account, this includes previous academic experience, eg junior and leaving cert, so yes you should include. They also look at your other life experience, work/voluntary, etc.

Your personal statement can be fairly general, why you want to go back to college, why now, what had got you interested in the field you are applying to. It is hard when you could be applying to up to 10 different institutions/courses, but hopefully you have been able to narrow it down a bit to a certain field and you can tailor your personal statement to that.

Most colleges also run 'back to education' foundation courses, so you could enquire about those as well. Most colleges have mature student officers who may be able to give you more information, and also some guidance into what their college may look for in the personal statements.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Trancechick

I returned as a mature student 2 years ago and got lots of help from my local VEC with filling in the CAO form, they also helped me with my personal statement. Try contacting your local office and arranging to meet with them. I also attended courses they provided on mature student interviews and returning to third level education, all of which were free. I can't praise them enough for the help they provided.

Best of luck with the application!!

Advertisement