Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching in Liverpool, Manchester, etc.

• 28-12-2013 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi folks,

Looking through the different threads, I've noticed that pretty much every area in England referred to is near London. I'm looking for a bit of information about North West England, e.g. Liverpool, Manchester, Burnley, Leeds.

I've been told on numerous occasions that the rent up North is far cheaper, but I don't know of anyone who worked as a teacher in these areas.

I realise that certain areas of Liverpool and Manchester might be extremely difficult in terms of discipline, but much the same seems to be said of London.

Is there a reason why so many people head South? I just assumed it's because of the massive population in Greater London (more jobs as a result).

I'm doing the dip at the moment, teaching English and History. Next year it seems as though I'll definitely have to travel, but I find some of the above mentioned cities in the North West very appealing. Then again, my experience of these cities would have been as a tourist! I realise that teaching is a VERY different kettle of fish.

Any details about teaching in the area would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭airneal

Yep, I'm in a similar position, also thinking about Manchester or Liverpool for same reasons. A teacher in my old school told me that the school she taught in (Liverpool) was very challenging. But sure that's the way you get them, some good, some bad. I wouldn't worry too much about discipline. My other main reason for heading to the UK for a year is to get full teacher recognition status. I'm planning to head to UAE then for a stint, make a bit of dough!! Best of luck with your venture!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 B99

airneal wrote: »
    Yep, I'm in a similar position, also thinking about Manchester or Liverpool for same reasons. A teacher in my old school told me that the school she taught in (Liverpool) was very challenging. But sure that's the way you get them, some good, some bad. I wouldn't worry too much about discipline. My other main reason for heading to the UK for a year is to get full teacher recognition status. I'm planning to head to UAE then for a stint, make a bit of dough!! Best of luck with your venture!

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the way I see it is that so many schools near London could be just as challenging. That's what this profession is all about. I've no problem testing myself in some difficult environments.
    Now all I want to discover is how to go about it? Every agency I've come across seem to deal only with areas around London.

B99 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, the way I see it is that so many schools near London could be just as challenging. That's what this profession is all about. I've no problem testing myself in some difficult environments.

Now all I want to discover is how to go about it? Every agency I've come across seem to deal only with areas around London.

I would say if you contact schools directly for north England, it will be the key. I'm sure that some agencies will accommodate your preferences and also try and fill jobs in those areas also.

Where you doing the Dip? I'm in Galway.

I would say if you contact schools directly for north England, it will be the key. I'm sure that some agencies will accommodate your preferences and also try and fill jobs in those areas also.

Where you doing the Dip? I'm in Galway.

Ya I'll do some further direct research in the new year. I'd love to hear off someone who actually taught in North England though.

I'm doing mine in Cork. It's flying. Half way through already!

Ya I'll do some further direct research in the new year. I'd love to hear off someone who actually taught in North England though.

I'm doing mine in Cork. It's flying. Half way through already!

Yea, I'm the same, cannot believe how fast its going, four and half months, its done,

I would say some of the agencies would try their best to accommodate your needs, good luck with it anyway!

• Advertisement

Yea, I'm the same, cannot believe how fast its going, four and half months, its done,

I would say some of the agencies would try their best to accommodate your needs, good luck with it anyway!

Thank you and best of luck with the rest of yours too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 siofracaoimhe

Hi all- Im living and teaching up in Leeds and can highly recommend it! Yorkshire people very friendly- Irish community if thats desirable. not a huge spawling city- cheap flights home and kids at school generally alright ;-)Id contact schools directly for jobs. Should be plenty about
    Ness x

Hi all- Im living and teaching up in Leeds and can highly recommend it! Yorkshire people very friendly- Irish community if thats desirable. not a huge spawling city- cheap flights home and kids at school generally alright ;-)Id contact schools directly for jobs. Should be plenty about
    Ness x

Thank you for the reply. A place like Leeds would certainly interest me, but the only problem would be that there is no direct flight from Cork to Leeds/Bradford whereas there is to both Liverpool and Manchester. However, I suppose one could always get the train first, which is seemingly very accessible.
    It's definitely a place that would appeal to me, I just never researched it because of the lack of direct flights.

Ness x

Thanks siofracaoimhe, thats good to know, I heard nothing about good stories about northern england regarding living and people (friendliness), Yea, someone told me that you contact the schools directly, do you any local websites for the north of england around liverpool or manchester that would be advertising teaching jobs? Just as a matter of interest, are you over long or what is your story? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mrdarcey121

Hey everyone!

I taught in Liverpool for a while- I absolutely HATED it. So tough. The kids had absolutely no manners and couldn't care LESS whether they were in school or not. A lot of them looked at exclusion as a holiday!! I had a desk and a fountain pen thrown at me, and one of the things my teaching practice supervisor said about me is how I have 'strong behaviour management skills' !! Hilarious!

Also, the pay was nowhere as near as good as outside London- I started on £17,800. I have friends teaching in London and they are with an agency and are getting £130 per DAY and they are newly qualified. That's the equivalent of £25,350 taking out the Summer Holidays!! In terms of teaching over there, yes there is a bit more paperwork and planning, but once you get on top of the marking it's no more than a good teacher should be doing I think.

I am looking at going back over for September (well, hopefully will get something and will be able to start in June- July to find my feet). Will probably go with the agency my friends are with as they are based in Ireland and seem to pay a great rate! Has anyone heard of them I think they are called KS?

Or has anyone any advice on what the other two agencies in Ireland are like- UTEACH and Engage?

Any help greatly appreciated!! :)

• Advertisement

Hey everyone!

I taught in Liverpool for a while- I absolutely HATED it. So tough. The kids had absolutely no manners and couldn't care LESS whether they were in school or not. A lot of them looked at exclusion as a holiday!! I had a desk and a fountain pen thrown at me, and one of the things my teaching practice supervisor said about me is how I have 'strong behaviour management skills' !! Hilarious!

Also, the pay was nowhere as near as good as outside London- I started on £17,800. I have friends teaching in London and they are with an agency and are getting £130 per DAY and they are newly qualified. That's the equivalent of £25,350 taking out the Summer Holidays!! In terms of teaching over there, yes there is a bit more paperwork and planning, but once you get on top of the marking it's no more than a good teacher should be doing I think.

I am looking at going back over for September (well, hopefully will get something and will be able to start in June- July to find my feet). Will probably go with the agency my friends are with as they are based in Ireland and seem to pay a great rate! Has anyone heard of them I think they are called KS?

Or has anyone any advice on what the other two agencies in Ireland are like- UTEACH and Engage?

Wow, yep, heard of desks being flung around at teachers alright. I still haven't made my mind up regarding where I want to be located, yea that's good enough money, decisions, decisions, are you qualified long?

Wow, yep, heard of desks being flung around at teachers alright. I still haven't made my mind up regarding where I want to be located, yea that's good enough money, decisions, decisions, are you qualified long?

I qualified in 2012... I have been chatting to a lot of my friends that are in Essex and Kent and they seem to be getting on grand- they seem to have very supportive schools really and no REAL nightmare stories about the kids!! One of my friends is in a Catholic School and she can see herself staying there for years she said!!! What subjects are you?

I qualified in 2012... I have been chatting to a lot of my friends that are in Essex and Kent and they seem to be getting on grand- they seem to have very supportive schools really and no REAL nightmare stories about the kids!! One of my friends is in a Catholic School and she can see herself staying there for years she said!!! What subjects are you?

Those areas seem to be the main ones alright. Its all about getting the right school and support from staff. My subjects are Biology & Science (Agr. Science also in Ireland). So wanting to get the ball rolling at this stage. I'm just completing the Dip now in Galway. I'm actually out on TP at the moment. Day off today.

Sorry, whats your subjects btw?

I'm English and History ! Few of my friends are Science Actually the curriculum seems to be very similar to the Junior Cert! Are you thinking of going to an agency? have you heard any good/ bad reports??!! I think I will, the last time I went directly and just felt like I had no support at all. My friends seemed to have any little issue sorted quickly, including accommodation !

I'm English and History ! Few of my friends are Science Actually the curriculum seems to be very similar to the Junior Cert! Are you thinking of going to an agency? have you heard any good/ bad reports??!! I think I will, the last time I went directly and just felt like I had no support at all. My friends seemed to have any little issue sorted quickly, including accommodation !

Yep, will go with an agency hopefully, otherwise you'll only end up spending a small fortune on flights attending interviews etc. Will you head over in June and stay the summer?

Yes apparently that agency KS have a training programme in June or July so I am hoping to do that I think so I will have a few quid coming in for June or July before September!

Have you heard about them or any other agencies??

Yes apparently that agency KS have a training programme in June or July so I am hoping to do that I think so I will have a few quid coming in for June or July before September!

Have you heard about them or any other agencies??

I have heard about them alright, seem to be a very good agency. Have heard mixed reviews about other agencies. I suppose when the time comes, I will probably apply through a few agencies. Is the training in UK or Ireland do you know?

Hey everyone!

Hi MrDarcey,

That's a pity to hear that you hated it in Liverpool. Tbh I was always quite aware that it could be very rough. Some parts of the city are absolutely shocking and I presumed that schools in these areas would more than likely be the only ones available. However, I also spoke to someone else who worked there (although about 7 years ago) and she loved it.

I think once you get your head around the fact that it's going to be very bad disciplinary wise, then maybe it won't be so bad. After all, you may have just been unlucky with your school.

As regards the pay, would agency work in Liverpool make a bit more sense (as opposed to going directly to the schools) as they might also pay good rates? I googled a couple of teaching agencies in Liverpool (although I realise this might not be too accurate) and there was figures of between 95-130 pound per day. It may be a case of starting on 95 per day as a NQT but I'm not sure of that. I'm also aware that these agencies aren't Irish based which might make some people apprehensive.

Thank you so much for the feedback. It's unfortunate about your experience in terms of discipline, but I'm glad to hear what you said about the paper work. A friend of mine is working in Reading and he said much the same (you find your feet after a while).

Do you have any info about other areas up north, e.g. Manchester or Newcastle.

Thanks again

I have heard about them alright, seem to be a very good agency. Have heard mixed reviews about other agencies. I suppose when the time comes, I will probably apply through a few agencies. Is the training in UK or Ireland do you know?

Heya! As far as I know it's in the UK and with a group of schools in Kent- I heard this particular group of schools are interviewing for jobs in September and whoever gets a job will be brought over for training in June or July to ease themselves into the system- I really like the sound of that! I wouldn't mind Kent because there are so many Irish teachers there... I suppose it's definitely worth looking into as they said they can accommodate friends wanting to move together so there is myself and one of my friends from college thinking of doing it... How is your TP going? ? good school?? :)

• Advertisement

Hi MrDarcey,

That's a pity to hear that you hated it in Liverpool. Tbh I was always quite aware that it could be very rough. Some parts of the city are absolutely shocking and I presumed that schools in these areas would more than likely be the only ones available. However, I also spoke to someone else who worked there (although about 7 years ago) and she loved it.

I think once you get your head around the fact that it's going to be very bad disciplinary wise, then maybe it won't be so bad. After all, you may have just been unlucky with your school.

As regards the pay, would agency work in Liverpool make a bit more sense (as opposed to going directly to the schools) as they might also pay good rates? I googled a couple of teaching agencies in Liverpool (although I realise this might not be too accurate) and there was figures of between 95-130 pound per day. It may be a case of starting on 95 per day as a NQT but I'm not sure of that. I'm also aware that these agencies aren't Irish based which might make some people apprehensive.

Thank you so much for the feedback. It's unfortunate about your experience in terms of discipline, but I'm glad to hear what you said about the paper work. A friend of mine is working in Reading and he said much the same (you find your feet after a while).

Do you have any info about other areas up north, e.g. Manchester or Newcastle.

Thanks again

Hey B99 I suppose the best thing to do is find out the daily rate first- I wouldn't work for 95£ per day !!! Would you?? :)

Hey B99 I suppose the best thing to do is find out the daily rate first- I wouldn't work for 95£ per day !!! Would you?? :)

Well £95 wouldn't be ideal but still that's nearly £500 per week (€600 roughly) which I won't earn at this stage over here. The accommodation is much cheaper up North and so is the public transport so surely it might even out?

This is presuming that it is as low as £95. If it's even £110 or something then I think that'd be great. The couple of years wouldn't be so much about saving (for me), it's about building up experience, seeing what life is like in a big UK city and just broadening my horizons in general :D

Heya! As far as I know it's in the UK and with a group of schools in Kent- I heard this particular group of schools are interviewing for jobs in September and whoever gets a job will be brought over for training in June or July to ease themselves into the system- I really like the sound of that! I wouldn't mind Kent because there are so many Irish teachers there... I suppose it's definitely worth looking into as they said they can accommodate friends wanting to move together so there is myself and one of my friends from college thinking of doing it... How is your TP going? ? good school?? :)

Yep, TP going well, I'm in a good school alright, my old school. Yep, bringing you over in June would be the way to go alright. There seems to be an awful shortage of teachers in the UK. Hows your TP going?

Im not on TP I'm qualified- have been fishing around over the weekend asking my friends and that about different agencies.. A few of them went with a crowd called 'Engaged Education' I think? They warned me off them and said they were all brought over and farmed out to schools!!? Does anyone have any information on them?? I would definitely rather go with a company that have Irish people looking after you..

There does seem to be a shortage yes, I suppose it's because of all the paperwork.. I didn't mind the paperwork, it was the behaviour in my area that I didn't like!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

I would rather stay with the northern part of England and I didn't even think of Leeds! I have been in contact with KC education and so far I've been really impressed. My subjects are English, RE and CSPE but my degree was in humanities. I'm doing the dip in Trinity at the minute.

Advertisement