Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major Incident Strandhill Road

Options
  • 28-12-2013 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭

Road between Barnasraghy at Cummeen and Drignahan at Coney Island Road blocked off due to ongoing incident. Diversion Roads getting very busy now and they are narrow, probably best to go via Carrowmore - Ransboro - Culleenamore if going to Strandhill. Longer route but quieter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

hear there is a shoot out at a house, opposite the GAA Centre of Excellence grounds being built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Yeah something about a fella shooting at the gaurds I heard. Helicopter been going around all morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

Heard on the news this evening that it was a guy who was in his parents house with a loaded shot gun, the Gardaí were notified by neighbours and when they arrived the guy in the house fired off a few rounds, don't know how it happened though and did not hear who the guy or family are, God love them.

I heard a name alright obviously won't say it here, seemingly normal lad something obviously very amiss. Sad for the family.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Fair play to the Gardai for bringing him in alive, not many countries where this would happen.

Anybody know what happened?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    Anybody know what happened?

There have been a number of posts alluding to what happened, it's been covered on most of the news websites and featured on the 6pm and 9pm RTE news last night. I think it's fair to say that public knows all it needs to know at this stage.

I think it's really crass and insensitive for people to push for any further details. What difference does it make to you? I very much doubt that the precipitating details of this event are any of our business. The gent involved was clearly distressed for the situation to get to the point it did and it bothers me to see people here and on other social media clamouring for gossip. It doesn't end here for the gent and his family, this isn't a soap opera, they can't just say "oh, it's all over now, let's just forget it ever happened" there will be legal proceedings which will no doubt prolong the whole ordeal if nothing else.

Thankfully nobody was physically harmed in the standoff, it would appear it was handled appropriately by the emergency services so well done to them and I hope the gent and his family get all the support they need to deal with what happened.

There have been a number of posts alluding to what happened, it's been covered on most of the news websites and featured on the 6pm and 9pm RTE news last night. I think it's fair to say that public knows all it needs to know at this stage.

I think it's really crass and insensitive for people to push for any further details. What difference does it make to you? I very much doubt that the precipitating details of this event are any of our business. The gent involved was clearly distressed for the situation to get to the point it did and it bothers me to see people here and on other social media clamouring for gossip. It doesn't end here for the gent and his family, this isn't a soap opera, they can't just say "oh, it's all over now, let's just forget it ever happened" there will be legal proceedings which will no doubt prolong the whole ordeal if nothing else.

Thankfully nobody was physically harmed in the standoff, it would appear it was handled appropriately by the emergency services so well done to them and I hope the gent and his family get all the support they need to deal with what happened.

With dues respect Alaskimo-cake, I think people (especially in the general area of this house) should be told as a matter of courtesy what happened that night, You seem to forget that this guy was walking around a house with a loaded shotgun and actually fired a number of times at Gardaí who arrived at the house after a complaint from a neighbour.

What if that neighbour went around to that house to investigate the disturbance and came face to face with this guy, how come he got access to a licenced shot gun, these are the questions that people need answers to, and yes I do have sympathy for him and his family.

Neighbours in the immediate area were petrified to say the least not knowing what was going to happen next.

With dues respect Alaskimo-cake, I think people (especially in the general area of this house) should be told as a matter of courtesy what happened that night, You seem to forget that this guy was walking around a house with a loaded shotgun and actually fired a number of times at Gardaí who arrived at the house after a complaint from a neighbour.

What if that neighbour went around to that house to investigate the disturbance and came face to face with this guy, how come he got access to a licenced shot gun, these are the questions that people need answers to, and yes I do have sympathy for him and his family.

Neighbours in the immediate area were petrified to say the least not knowing what was going to happen next.

If people in the immediate area need to know those details, the information should be disseminated at the discretion of the gentleman's family, and done with sensitivity. There will be debriefing for the emergency services involved and I'm sure it will involve following up with the neighbours who were evacuated. The finer details do not need to be published for all to read. What difference does it make to you how he came into possession of a firearm. Maybe he held it legally?! Whether he did or not wouldn't have affected the outcome. The general public do not need to know any of that.

Just to point out, I don't know the gentleman or his family, I just find it distasteful to rummage for gossip under the pretence of concern for public safety :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 sciencebod

I think Alaskimo is right. Neighbours in the immediate area needed to be made aware of the fact that there was an armed man in the area and the Gardaí dealt with it accordingly and evacuated families and ordered a media blackout. Neighbours do not NEED to know all the details which only serves as gossip at the end of the day. I think neighbours were told as much as they needed to know whilst the Gardaí were dealing with a very difficult situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Pardon the pun but I think you're jumping the gun Alaskimo-cake, the post you're replying to merely asked what happened, agreed that there's plenty of outlets relaying the information, but not one post asked for the gents name as you're post above alludes to. I don't see anyone on here 'calmouring for gossip'. Personally myself I couldn't give a rats who the person is, that's something for him and his family to deal with, especially as it will be in the public domain soon enough if not already, however, a major incident in my locality does interest me and I, like most others would like to know the basics, I'm not bothered if I never find out the persons name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

The basics were posted up thread on the Irish Times link. What more do you need to know?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

My parents know this family and they are known as very decent people. My aunt used to occasionally baby sit the guy and his sister when they were kids.

I live on the same road but don't know them myself. Something very strange seems to have happened. It will come out via the media (all details when it lands in court) in time, that's just the nature of how it works for good or bad.

Anyone in the area knows who it is but this isn't the place for it.

Good that nobody was injured including the gardai, public and the guy himself.

The basics were posted up thread on the Irish Times link. What more do you need to know?!

Nothing, just pointing out that maybe the fact one person posted here asking what happened does not mean they want the guys name and address.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Amazing that despite the news blackout, my brother still heard enough bullshít, that he rang me yesterday and told me he heard there was a guy in Strandhill who was throwing hand grenades at the Gardái. Of course he didn't believe it, but it makes you wonder what kind of attention seeking idiots makes up that kind of stuff? Anyway, fair play to the Gardái for a job well done and ending the dangerous standoff without the loss of life or injury.

rizzodun wrote: »
    Pardon the pun but I think you're jumping the gun Alaskimo-cake, the post you're replying to merely asked what happened, agreed that there's plenty of outlets relaying the information, but not one post asked for the gents name as you're post above alludes to. I don't see anyone on here 'calmouring for gossip'. Personally myself I couldn't give a rats who the person is, that's something for him and his family to deal with, especially as it will be in the public domain soon enough if not already, however, a major incident in my locality does interest me and I, like most others would like to know the basics, I'm not bothered if I never find out the persons name.

I didn't allude to anyone asking for the gentleman's name, that could be easily found out if one wished to find out badly enough. But wondering how he got his hands on a firearm etc.. Is unwarranted and excessive in my opinion. The details will all become public in time, as was pointed out, when the inevitable court case takes place. In the meantime however, it's still very raw for all involved and there is no obvious benefit (that I can see) to airing all the details. If for not for reasons of basic respect and manners, the details probably shouldn't be discussed from a legal standpoint, if there's a case pending. This is standard practice across boards.ie by the way, before anyone thinks I'm being a busybody/dogooder/whatever. (Apologies in advance if I'm backseat modding :o )

promethius wrote: »
    My parents know this family and they are known as very decent people. My aunt used to occasionally baby sit the guy and his sister when they were kids.

I live on the same road but don't know them myself. Something very strange seems to have happened. It will come out via the media (all details when it lands in court) in time, that's just the nature of how it works for good or bad.

Anyone in the area knows who it is but this isn't the place for it.

Good that nobody was injured including the gardai, public and the guy himself.

Hi promethius.
    I don't know the family and as you have said in time and through media sources it will all come out who they are etc, Hindsight is a great thing however and thankfully nobody was injured and hats off to the Gardaí for a job well done.

Hi promethius.
    I don't know the family and as you have said in time and through media sources it will all come out who they are etc, Hindsight is a great thing however and thankfully nobody was injured and hats off to the Gardaí for a job well done.

Couldn't agree more they did a great job in bringing it to a clean ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Balaclava1991

There's been an increasing incidence of armed stand offs in recent years.
    Only a matter of time before some unbalanced person shoots up a school room.
    Thankfully it is hard to get hold of automatic weapons in Ireland but a shotgun or hunting rifle would still do the job I suppose.

• Advertisement

promethius wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more they did a great job in bringing it to a clean ending.

Sometimes these things can't be talked down.
    At Abbeylara in 2000 there's nothing much the Gardaí could have done differently except shoot John Carthy.
    If an unbalanced person wants to shoot it out with the cops or refuses to put down a gun then deadly force is usually the only option left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

There's still a Garda presence at the house and bollards in the middle of the road slowing down traffic, obviously forensics and standard procedures being followed in cases like this. Unfortunately it's now a mecca for rubberneckers. Some dumbass in front of me this morning actually stopped his car in the middle of the road to get a gawk :mad: I politely leaned on the horn and revved wildly (in hindslight probably not the best thing to do where there may be armed guards still present).

ON a lighter note the rubber necking in that area has been going on for a few weeks, a few hundred meters towards town on the road there is a house that has quite simply a stunning Christmas lights display! drive by at night it's quite spectacular but be careful if you're slowing down for a right look!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

At Abbeylara in 2000 there's nothing much the Gardaí could have done differently except shoot John Carthy.

That assumption was very much open to debate. The Gardaí were widely criticised at the time for their handling of that siege. Family members of the victim and a local priest, said they were prevented from negotiating with Mr McCarty. Negotiations which they felt could have made a crucial difference to the outcome

But that is in the past, the Gardaí clearly learned their lesson well from that incident in 2000. And they deserve full credit for a job very well done in Sligo.

That assumption was very much open to debate.

No it is not.

Gardaí were called to the Carthy residence after he had been threatening his family members with a shotgun. When they arrived he fired on and struck a Garda car which was left abandoned in the driveway. The armed Gardaí arrived later and sealed off the area and tried to speak with Carthy through a loudhailer and he responded by repeatedly firing through his kitchen window.
    When he emerged from the house he was carrying the loaded shot gun and repeatedly ignored calls to put the gun down.
    The Gardaí shot him in both legs and then fired twice into his lower back to put him down.
    Unfortunately one of the shots passed through his heart.

Those are the facts of the case.
    The Gardaí were widely criticised at the time for their handling of that siege. Family members of the victim and a local priest, said they were prevented from negotiating with Mr McCarty. Negotiations which they felt could have made a crucial difference to the outcome

Carthy opened fire repeatedly at the Gardaí.
    It would have been lunatic to let civilians negotiate with him.
    When asked if he wanted to talk to members of his family he told the Gardaí to "f*ck off" and fired shots.
    But that is in the past, the Gardaí clearly learned their lesson well from that incident in 2000. And they deserve full credit for a job very well done in Sligo.

If an unbalanced person emerged from a house with a loaded weapon and refused to put it down he/she would also be shot just as Carthy was.

I would suggest you actually read the Barr Tribunal Report into the shooting at this link:

http://www.mulley.net/BarrTribunalReport/BarrTribunalReportChapter1.html

The Gardaí were not found at fault.
    It was recommended that they have non-lethal weapons available if need be but when faced with lethal force the Gardaí respond with lethal force the same way police forces the world over do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

It said on the 6pm RTE news that the man in question has no family links to the community or Sligo, and was homeless??

It said on the 6pm RTE news that the man in question has no family links to the community or Sligo, and was homeless??

I've seen that myself, facts like that can make a big difference, seeing as the person in question managed to get his hands on a licensed firearm and discharge it.

rizzodun wrote: »
    I've seen that myself, facts like that can make a big difference, seeing as the person in question managed to get his hands on a licensed firearm and discharge it.

My point exactly, how did this guy who has a history of depression get his hands on a licenced shotgun? My understanding from media reports is that he returned to live at home a few weeks back after spending some time living in a homeless shelter in Sligo town.

I know some posters in here have questioned my interference in this matter but honestly it is a worrying factor when somebody who has a history of mental illness can so easily gain access to a loaded firearm and fire at will at Gardaí and anybody else who could have stood in his way, is he to blame for shooting at Gardaí?, They say there is a very thin line between sanity and insanity and in this case there are no winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Case is a bit confusing, apparently he has no familial ties to the area yet it's stated in some articles that it all occurred at his parent's house.

If it did then it's probably his father's gun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Blay wrote: »
    Case is a bit confusing, apparently he has no familial ties to the area yet it's stated in some articles that it all occurred at his parent's house.

If it did then it's probably his father's gun.

Yes, I'm very confused about it - with all the conflicting information.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement