Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Javascript changes not seen

Options
  • 28-12-2013 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

I have a jsp file that calls a javascript function in a separate .js file. I have made an amendment to the .js function (added an alert()) and re-run the program. The alert is not called therefore the method is not called. I have renamed the method so that I get an exception but the method is successfully called. I have cleared the cache on Chrome and nothing has changed. I am using IntelliJ + embedded Tomcat.

Can anyone tell me what is going wrong? I

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

I have a jsp file that calls a javascript function in a separate .js file. I have made an amendment to the .js function (added an alert()) and re-run the program. The alert is not called therefore the method is not called. I have renamed the method so that I get an exception but the method is successfully called. I have cleared the cache on Chrome and nothing has changed. I am using IntelliJ + embedded Tomcat.

Can anyone tell me what is going wrong? I

Can you post some code?

Is firebug reporting any exceptions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Can you post some code?

Is firebug reporting any exceptions?

I don't see any exceptions in Firebug..
    <div id="names" style="width: 100%;"><script>writePax();</script></div>

function writePax(asString) {
        //NOT IT!!!!
        alert(gRoomCots[1])  ;
    	var s=gHdr;
    	var roomAge,isChild,optNew;
    	for (var i=0; i<gBerths.length; i++) {
    		s+='<TR><TD>'+gBerths[i]+'</TD><TD>&nbsp;</TD><TD width=200>';
    		isChild=gRoomAges[i]!=0;
    		if (gAsgnId[i]<0) {
    			s+='<INPUT CLASS=tableInput TYPE=TEXT NAME=newName'+i+' maxlength=52 size=25 onKeyPress="return editKey(event,gMask1);">';
    			optNew=' CHECKED';
    		} else {
    			s+=gNameSwap+','+i+')" NAME=paxName' + i + (gDisabled?' disabled':' ') + '>'+(isChild?gChildList:gPaxList);
    			optNew=' ';
    		}
    		s+='</TD><TD align=center nowrap>';
    		s+='<input type="radio"' + (gDisableLeadRadio? ' disabled' : '') + ' name="lead" value="'+i+'" tabindex="'+(100+2*i)+'"'+' >';
    		s+='</TD><TD align=justify nowrap>';
    		if(!isChild && gAsgnId[i]<0) {
    			s+='<div id="adultChildRadio'+i+'">'
    			  +'<input type="radio" name=adult'+i+' value="A" onClick="testAges(this,'+i+',false);" checked tabindex="'+(100+2*i)+'">'+gAdultTxt
    			  +'&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'
    			  +'<input type="radio" name=adult'+i+' value="C" onClick="testAges(this,'+i+',true);" tabindex="'+(100+2*i+1)+'">'+gChildTxt
    			  +'</div>';
    		}
    		s+='</TD><TD align=center width=10%>&nbsp;';
    		if (isChild) {
    			s+=gRoomAges[i];
    			gNewAges[i]=gRoomAges[i];
    		} else {
    			if (gAsgnId[i]<0) {
    				s+='<SELECT NAME=ages'+i+' id=ages'+i+' style="visibility:hidden;">'+gChildAgeList;
    			} else {
    				var chAge=gPaxAges[gAsgnId[i]];
    				s+=(chAge>0)?chAge:'&nbsp;';
    			}
    		}
    		s+='</TD><TD align=center>';
    		if (gIsNewBkg || !gFullView || gDisabled) {
    			s+='&nbsp;';
    		} else {
    			s+='<INPUT CLASS=tableInput onClick="flipType(this.form,'+i+')" TYPE=checkbox NAME=newPax'+i+optNew+'>';
    		}
    		s+='</TD></TR>"dddd"<script>testAgeLabel();</script>';
    	}

s+=gHdrEnd;

if(!asString){
    		document.writeln(s);
    	}
    	return s;
    }

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Is it possible that there is an old copy of the javascript file cached in your browser cache?

Phoebas wrote: »
    Is it possible that there is an old copy of the javascript file cached in your browser cache?

It has to be something like that but I have cleared my cache.. I'm at this for days now..

I've deleted the file that writePax resides and the method is still being called (i.e. I can see the method's output on screen). Something is wrong here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I've deleted the file that writePax resides and the method is still being called (i.e. I can see the method's output on screen). Something is wrong here.

Sounds like a cache issue. Can you see the javascript in the browser and put a breakpoint in it? Or try a different browser?

Do a search for all instances of that method signature in your codebase, if you have truly cleared the cache, then that has to be the explanation.

Do a search for all instances of that method signature in your codebase, if you have truly cleared the cache, then that has to be the explanation.

I have search for writePax in the entire code base. There are 10. I have renamed every one of them to something else yet the function is still called.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Open Firebug, go to Console, call your function from the command line with an invalid parameter, and it will tell you the file and line-number where the exception is raised

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Open Firebug, go to Console, call your function from the command line with an invalid parameter, and it will tell you the file and line-number where the exception is raised

ReferenceError: writePax is not defined

BUT, how come the output of the function is on my screen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭28064212

ReferenceError: writePax is not defined

BUT, how come the output of the function is on my screen?
    If you look at the HTML source of the page (using Ctrl+U, NOT using Firebug) is the output shown there?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    If you look at the HTML source of the page (using Ctrl+U, NOT using Firebug) is the output shown there?

Ok, I've found the issue. Using Firebug, I can now debug into the writePax function but... there is no alert() function. So the version I have amended is not the version being used in the app - even though the version in my exploded war has the amended version (with the alert()).

Ok, I've found the issue. Using Firebug, I can now debug into the writePax function but... there is no alert() function. So the version I have amended is not the version being used in the app - even though the version in my exploded war has the amended version (with the alert()).

Right.. what exactly was the reasoning for having ten similar method signatures?

Right.. what exactly was the reasoning for having ten similar method signatures?

I'm working on a system written my men (or women, lest we be sexual) disguised as developers.

Oh dear god, I've solved it...

My app is using a static server to serve files and it's configured to use a static version of my .js file. I've pointed my app to use local files and it is now displaying the alert().

I've been trying to solve this for 8 days now :mad:

Thanks for all your help people. I am very grateful.

Oh dear god, I've solved it...

My app is using a static server to serve files and it's configured to use a static version of my .js file. I've pointed my app to use local files and it is now displaying the alert().

I've been trying to solve this for 8 days now :mad:

Thanks for all your help people. I am very grateful.

We have all been there :)

Glad you got sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jukkaaakula

I has the problem too.

But then I made an error in javascript code. Then it did not accept the change. When I deleted the change it started to work fine.

Advertisement