Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Quality

Options
  • 28-12-2013 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed the water quality has been terrible lately?
    The dishwasher leaves a residue and doesn't wash the dishes as well as it used to and the washing machine leaves spots. It's almost like we have suddenly gone to a hard water region.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I haven't noticed, but is it since the water shortage hoohah a few months ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No problems for me here in Lucan since the last water shortage a few months ago - I think that was a greater Dublin area issue rather than a local one. Maybe check your appliances to see if they are the culprit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Lucan receives a blended supply including water from Leixlip and it is considered of medium hardness.

I can't find it now but I'm nearly certain I read an announcement on SDCC website recently saying they had increased water supply from Leixlip and so hardness would be increased.

I wasn't aware about that Miss Lockhart. I was under the impression from reading the papers during the last shortage that all water for the greater Dublin area came from the Ballymore Eustace water treatment plant in Kildare

Have you any link where we can do a bit of further reading on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

http://www.sdcc.ie/services/environmental-health/water-services/drinking-water

Scroll down near the end for the information on water hardness.

• Advertisement

Thanks!

This is the summary for people who don't want to click on the link:
    sdcc wrote:
    The water in South Dublin County Council is mainly sourced from two water treatment plants at Ballymore-Eustace and Leixlip. The water from Leixlip would be considered hard water and from Ballymore-Eustace it is soft water. We don’t supply any water directly from Leixlip, but water from Leixlip is blended in our reservoir at Peamount which serves parts of Lucan and hence water in this area can be of medium hardness.

Pity they don't say which parts of Lucan. I did a water hardness test in my house once (many years ago) and the water was soft

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

unkel wrote: »
    Thanks!

This is the summary for people who don't want to click on the link:

Pity they don't say which parts of Lucan. I did a water hardness test in my house once (many years ago) and the water was soft

Noticed the tell tale sign of lime deposit a few times on the top of tea in a cup over Christmas - hasn't happened since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I notice the water is a lot less hard in older houses in D.15 than the new ones, new estates etc. I was told this was because one is fed from Dublin the other from Meath. Always wonder how true this is. Our water has a lot of lime in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Just an update to say the water has returned to normal again.

Advertisement