Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GameStop return policy

Options
  • 28-12-2013 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

So I got given a sims 3 expansion pack (PC game) for Christmas by my boyfriend. Unfortunately I already have that one but even as I first saw it I knew it was pointless saying anything. The exact same thing happened 3 years ago (different boyfriend) and when I tried to exchange the game I was told I couldn't because "GameStop don't seal PC games and you could have copied the disk".

He also said "it says so on the receipt". Fat lot of good that is, by the time you have the receipt you've paid. For the record my ex boyfriend says nothin was said to him at the till about not being able to return it, and I know the current one wouldn't have bought it if they had, because he was unsure if I had it or not.

Is there anything you can do? I know legally they wouldn't have to exchange it anyway but I'm stuck with 2 copies of 2 games now that are useless to me. They've never even been touched and I have no reason to copy them. It's very annoying :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I hate gamestop return policy. They've really wrote the terms and conditions to suit them down to a T.
    What annoys me most is that you could pay €60 for a game, for it to only break two days later, but because you didnt buy disk insurance - tough shit.

So sadly JudgeFudge, you havent a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It is a problem with PC games the store still use this line that you could have copied it. Even though you could just as easily copy console games.

What they really mean is you could have used the activation code and they have no way of checking that bar calling the publisher. the data on the disk is actually pretty useless as once you activate the code you get a free digital copy from Origin.

Unless the game is broken they are under no obligation to exchange it and generally won't unless it is sealed.

Best bet is to try sell it on adverts or if you know someone who plays the Sims gift it to them.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,299 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is that disc insurance crap even legal? Surely you have a right to return a faulty product regardless?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,534 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Games are sealed by the publisher and unsealed by these yokels. They enjoy their drawer and their empty boxes. You're out of luck, I refuse to do business with them outside of a used game in a blue winter moon and when I do I use a credit card with default purchase protection: if I encounter any ****, its a chargeback or a claim on 90 days of product protection from my card provider.

Check adverts.ie rules for selling PC software and try getting rid of them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

I expected as much. Might try adverts!

It's just aggravating that I can't exchange it because THEY decide not to seal the discs. Seems like an excuse so they can act as though everyone is copying them. It's quite offensive really that their default position is to be suspicious of their customers.

Can't believe you need disc insurance? That can't be legal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is disc insurance crap that even legal? Surely you have a right to return a faulty product regardless?

I have no idea if it is. It shoudn't be.

Its terrible. You could buy a game and 45 minutes later it gets laser burned. GameStop have a stance that it was customer caused damage. So if you didnt get the disk insurance you are screwed. No 28 days return policy. Not even a 14 days return policy.

Also, another one which grinds my gears is the fact as soon as you open a game your rights are gone. As they say 'the product is no longer new' - Of course, its at the managers discretion to return or not. Some are alright and will, others will not. But they've wrote the rules quite nicely for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is that disc insurance crap even legal? Surely you have a right to return a faulty product regardless?

Yup. 2 years warranty on pretty much all electronics under EU Law.

A lot of places seem to just give 1 year warranty for laptops etc. but they'd have to abide by EU Law if you mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,534 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Because even if you read the manual to those discs, the back page discusses a warranty and getting a working disc.

To be fair, I have only ever used them to buy something used. I'd be super sketch about something that was sold as "New" and was unsealed. That seems to violate something there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

So they are happy to sell an opened game as new but see it returned as used. I tried returning a used ds game and was questioned where the box was, it was in the satchel that they gave me with the sticker on it! I told them they would need to find it themselves seeing as they didnt give it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

callaway92 wrote: »

That piece of EU legislation was not adopted in Ireland, as our Consumer law is deemed to provide greater protection.

If the item is faulty, then yes, you have Consumer rights, and nothing they say can override that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I have no idea if it is. It shoudn't be.

Its terrible. You could buy a game and 45 minutes later it gets laser burned. GameStop have a stance that it was customer caused damage. So if you didnt get the disk insurance you are screwed. No 28 days return policy. Not even a 14 days return policy.

Also, another one which grinds my gears is the fact as soon as you open a game your rights are gone. As they say 'the product is no longer new' - Of course, its at the managers discretion to return or not. Some are alright and will, others will not. But they've wrote the rules quite nicely for themselves.

How is laser burn GameStops fault? Why should they return a disk on that basis. It's actually Microsoft that should have faced a class action on this years ago. (In the State because for some reason we don;t have class actions.)

A lot of places seem to just give 1 year warranty for laptops etc. but they'd have to abide by EU Law if you mention it.

As per Dudara's post. EU law is not supreme to Irish law in many cases (certainly not in consumer law, generally). Besides which Irish law gives greater protection.

I'm not quite sure why Gamestop get such a bad rep for this. They are not obliged to take stuff back for change of mind, which is the same for any retailer and other than Origin you've never been able to get a refund on PC games. Before anyone think's EA/Origin are anything of an example look at the ridiculous price they try and charge you for games! (He says as he loads it up to see they have finally reduced Sim City - Yipeeeeeeeeeee!). When I'm all growed up I hope I'm involved in the anti-trust/monopoly case against these jokers! (Who make good games :( )

All my ranting aside, I know that some managers are more lax on this than others. Some will take PC games back if you're polite, not there with a sense of entitlement, and you've the best chance after Xmas than any other as most places relax their returns policies. If the BF is a regular get him to return it I would always look after my regulars even when they had damaged it themselves. Had a bit of a reputation for it at one point :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

judgefudge wrote: »
    So I got given a sims 3 expansion pack (PC game) for Christmas by my boyfriend. Unfortunately I already have that one but even as I first saw it I knew it was pointless saying anything. The exact same thing happened 3 years ago (different boyfriend) and when I tried to exchange the game I was told I couldn't because "GameStop don't seal PC games and you could have copied the disk".

He also said "it says so on the receipt". Fat lot of good that is, by the time you have the receipt you've paid. For the record my ex boyfriend says nothin was said to him at the till about not being able to return it, and I know the current one wouldn't have bought it if they had, because he was unsure if I had it or not.

Is there anything you can do? I know legally they wouldn't have to exchange it anyway but I'm stuck with 2 copies of 2 games now that are useless to me. They've never even been touched and I have no reason to copy them. It's very annoying :(

It's not Gamestop's fault you got landed with unwanted games so they have no obligation to accept returns of unwanted items, unless they previously promised to do that. As for your boyfriend and ex boyfriend not being told at the till, did either of them even ask? I would see it as their responsibility to check the conditions of sale before proceeding with the purchase.

All you can do now is give them away or sell them on if you don't want to keep them.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

slimjimmc wrote: »
    It's not Gamestop's fault you got landed with unwanted games so they have no obligation to accept returns of unwanted items, unless they previously promised to do that. As for your boyfriend and ex boyfriend not being told at the till, did either of them even ask? I would see it as their responsibility to check the conditions of sale before proceeding with the purchase.

I never said they were obligated, I just think it's bad form that they don't exchange at least. To be fair it's the only place I've come across that don't do that!

I think if your policy is not to exchange or refund the least you can do is tell the customer when they're making the purchase. When I asked the guy, like I said, he informed me that it was on the receipt. But what good is that at that point?

Like I've said they can obviously do what they want at the end of the day, nothing legally wrong with it. But it is poor form in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

judgefudge wrote: »
    I expected as much. Might try adverts!

It's just aggravating that I can't exchange it because THEY decide not to seal the discs. Seems like an excuse so they can act as though everyone is copying them. It's quite offensive really that their default position is to be suspicious of their customers.

They are under no obligation to exchange in this case as it is a change of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

slimjimmc wrote: »

All you can do now is give them away or sell them on if you don't want to keep them.

It is Christmas, it tends to be good customer service to offer at least credit on unwanted presents. If some shop doesnt accept returns then people are less likely to shop there.

Advertisement