Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Love/Hate Series 4 and 5

• 28-12-2013 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭

Just re-watched Love/Hate season 4 preceded by series 1 to 3 and cannot wait for season 5. What are we to expect to happen next? Some things I have noticed:

-Nidge ends series 4 in a cell. He deliberately gets himself arrested on a minor offence to spend a night in the cell for whatever reason. My guess is he could have ordered someone to be clipped? Fran? Tommy? even Siobhan? even an attempt to take out some of the detectives? But something is going down here with someone else (Guinea/Glen?) doing the job while Nidge is inside.
    -Nidge self harms. My guess here is he will blame the guards for his injuries in his revenge.
    -Rather interestingly, in episode 3 we saw the other detectives beat up the 'Luke mark 2' prowler Chunk Rogers and say that Moynihan is NOT supposed to know!! Rogers' character and why he was stalking one of the detectives was not explained or either is he seen as connected to Nidge, Fran, etc. yet at least. My guess is this guy is taunting the detective out of revenge and that the beating up incident will be something to back up Nidge's accusation of 'police brutality' towards him!
    -Clearly, Tommy's memory was coming back in the moments before his collapse. I may be wrong but I feel that the shock of suddenly realising that Nidge actually hit him caused his collapse.
    -Siobhan meanwhile has already realised Nidge hit Tommy and is working with detective Moynihan.
    -The IRA storyline seems resolved for now. But it would be good to see this storyline revived with Tony and Lizzie re-emerging. Probably, we will see something go wrong with an arms shipment and Tony putting more pressure on Nidge with perhaps Nidge then tasked to sacrifice another of his men.
    -Fran and Nidge? Friends or enemies? It is hard to know how this one pans out. Big secrets remain (the pipebombing) and Nidge considers Fran reckless while Fran thinks Nidge planned to cut him out. Fran did not warn Nidge about the cops. I think Nidge v Fran will be the centre of next season.
    -We are told by the papers that Nidge flees to Spain. Fran could set Nidge up by scuppering an IRA shipment with Fran then joining an alliance of Tony and Lizzie all on his tail. Or it may be Nidge and Tony on one side with Fran and Lizzie/Dano's friends on the other? Maybe Dano is not even dead! Meanwhile, detective Moynihan will be more determined than ever to take Nidge down. So, I think the series will end with Nidge heading to Spain and Fran on top in Ireland. Leaving room for a feature film sequel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Gilbert Grape

It would need to be a lot better than the last 2 series,went way downhill in the story line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Think the next one should be the last.

For me, Series 4 was well off the pace of the other 3, and if series 5 is to be the same, it should end before it gets poor.

Did I not read that Series 5 will be set for some part in Spain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

love/hate is like Mrs. Browns boys for me....i dont get why people love it and think its pure cack.....but then i love MBB...so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

NIMAN wrote: »
    Think the next one should be the last.

For me, Series 4 was well off the pace of the other 3, and if series 5 is to be the same, it should end before it gets poor.

Did I not read that Series 5 will be set for some part in Spain?

Yes, part of the series is either set in Spain or the finale will be Nidge leaving for Spain. Unfortunately, the tabloids ruined the suspense more often than not last season because they predicted exactly who was going to die next. Dano, Debbie and Wayne all predicted correctly!

For season 5, we already are told 'Nidge goes to Spain'. We will know more as well as things develop.

I enjoyed season 4 but yes it was slower than the others and felt like the buildup to season 5 in the last two episodes (the climax came in episode 4, when the IRA threat was lifted). I know many complained about the final episode but many forget that very little actually happened in the season 2 final episode as well (episode 5 was more the finale with John Boy's death).

I think season 2 and 3 were probably overall the best but season 1 and 3 had the best finales. Season 4 had many good moments and I thought it was strong but had a different feel to the other 3 (no Darren, more cops). I think that Dano should not have been killed off (series 4 episode 4 was one of the best ever Love/Hate episodes but should have been spared for later as Dano and the IRA was such a strong story: but I guess the series would be locked in the same plot for too long otherwise) just like more could have been done with Luke in series 2. But actors like Jason Barry, Aiden Gillen and Ruth Bradley all had other engagements so it often was the case that the plot revolved around the actors leaving .

It would need to be a lot better than the last 2 series,went way downhill in the story line

There tends to be four types of Love/Hate fan: The first type sees the series as all about Darren and his conscience and the rivalry between him and the Power brothers. This story arc ultimately ends in the killing of John Boy Power by Darren. These fans see series 1 and 2 as the strongest and think things went downhill after series 2.

The second type see Love/Hate as the story of Nidge, rising from gang member to gang leader and his dealings with the likes of John Boy, Darren, Tommy, Fran, Git, Dano, Tony, the cops, etc. as he goes along. The Nidge Weasel getting himself into and out of tricky situations time after time. For these fans, series 3 and 4 are more for them as Nidge is the central character and is written to be here (the central character in series 1 was clearly Darren and in series 2 that was the intention too).

The third type are those who side against Nidge and with either the cops, Fran, Tommy, Dano, Lizzie, etc. They want to see Nidge brought down by any or all of these. Again, it is series 3 and 4 for these and Tommy is their hero.

An emerging fourth category are the Fran fans. They want Fran to take over from Nidge and run the show. Obviously, series 2, 3 and 4 set things up for such fans and their hope lies in series 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

How come the series is so short?

jenjenten wrote: »
    love/hate is like Mrs. Browns boys for me....i dont get why people love it and think its pure cack.....but then i love MBB...so.

Personally, I love Love/Hate and think it is the best programme on television in a long time along with Breaking Bad. It is good because it taken Irish TV to places it never was before and it is all too realistic and topical.

But like everything, Love/Hate is not for everyone. Some people knock it because it is violent, because animals 'get killed' in the storylines, and because it is Irish. Sure, there are some quieter episodes (for example, season 2 episode 6 or season 3, episode 5) and sure the final episodes don't always work out as planned (season 4 people expected Nidge and Fran to kill each other or something! While season 3's killing off of Darren upset a lot of fans) but that's the way things go. Personally, I was satisfied with all the final episodes: sure, season 2 and 4 final episodes could have had some more action in them but I was glad that Nidge took over in season 2 and that Nidge and Fran survived season 4. Sure, it was sad to see Hughie and Darren taken out in season 1 and 3 but the final episodes delivered great action.

As regards Mrs Brown, I think it is ok overall. I am not the biggest fan but there have been some very good episodes and it is often funny. Season 3 was poor I found but seasons 1 and 2 were good. Again, it has been very successful so everyone who sees something in it cannot be wrong. Like Love/Hate, it has offended some.

fatknacker wrote: »

That is probably because Ryan Tubridy and the like have to get paid excessive salaries for doing less than 20 hours a week for 7 months and 2 weeks of the year!

It being so short is my only fault with Love/Hate. Imagine if it was on 20 weeks instead of The Tubridy Show? But, that won't happen. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

been annouced that its going to be 12 episodes next time out and scripts are due to be completed in February.

http://www.joe.ie/entertainment/television/series-5-of-lovehate-will-be-twice-as-long-as-series-4/

been annouced that its going to be 12 episodes next time out and scripts are due to be completed in February.

http://www.joe.ie/entertainment/television/series-5-of-lovehate-will-be-twice-as-long-as-series-4/

That will be excellent. 12 episodes is what is needed as 4 and 6 were too short. Someone ends up in prison it would seem (Fran for killing the dentist?) and thanks to the bloomin' tabloids, we know Nidge goes to Spain (yes, the f'ers are always right as we know from season 4 predictions!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭pigtown

Quote from article:

'Director David Caffrey has explained how Love/Hate 2013 and 2014 will be closely linked, with plotlines from season four being tied up in season five.

"The mindset was that we'd make something to run over 12 episodes, as opposed to six. "We're expanding the storylines over a longer period of time and we didn't want to do a 'shoot them and gun them all down' thing again" said Caffrey.'

This for me means that seasons 4 and 5 will read like a 12 episode season, not that season 5 alone will have 12 episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

fatknacker wrote: »

Probably because it costs €10,000 a minute to make and RTE don't make any money off it. Presumably they sacrifice as much as they can on but can't push the boat out too far.

pigtown wrote: »
    Quote from article:

'Director David Caffrey has explained how Love/Hate 2013 and 2014 will be closely linked, with plotlines from season four being tied up in season five.

"The mindset was that we'd make something to run over 12 episodes, as opposed to six. "We're expanding the storylines over a longer period of time and we didn't want to do a 'shoot them and gun them all down' thing again" said Caffrey.'

This for me means that seasons 4 and 5 will read like a 12 episode season, not that season 5 alone will have 12 episodes.

Hopefully, it will be 12 episodes but I can see that David could well mean the storylines run across series 4 and 5 thus 12. The media bar the tabloids can often get things wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

I think it's going to have to end with Nidge being clipped. And probably by Elmo or Aido who then take over.... and are clipped themselves down the line.

See Judge/Hyland/Dunne in 'real' life.

I think it's going to have to end with Nidge being clipped. And probably by Elmo or Aido who then take over.... and are clipped themselves down the line.

See Judge/Hyland/Dunne in 'real' life.

It would not surprise me to see Nidge get shot at the end of the season 5 but leaving a questionmark over his fate. Elmo and Ado are survivors and are getting ambitious too (especially Elmo, who was Nidge's righthand man replacing Fran in the later S4 episodes).

From what I gather,
    there are rumours out there that Nidge goes to Spain and someone else goes to jail

Who ends up dead or not is another matter. I'd say season 5 will not be the end of the series completely either. I'd say, a feature length film version could come along and continue issues. Perhaps
    with Nidge in Spain or Fran in prison maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Elmo just tweeted this not sure if it's love hate or not.He did not say
    Filming on a rooftop in Dublin today. What a day for it ☀️

BiXUA5JIEAAXsso.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭kaisersuzy

One of this morning tabloids gave away a massive part of the storyline for the next series (with pictures) ....why do Irish papers do this with this show??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭John Cherry

kaisersuzy wrote: »
    One of this morning tabloids gave away a massive part of the storyline for the next series (with pictures) ....why do Irish papers do this with this show??

Because there excuse my language cnuts.

These papers follow the filming around it seems. That is exactly how they can be so accurate with their info every time. I will refrain from reading the papers' articles about Love/Hate if possible. But, last year it was hard to: Dano, Debbie and Wayne predicted accurately to die every time.

Series 5 will focus obviously on issues such: as an increased garda effort to close in on Nidge and the gang (a shootout between both sides is inevitable imo as is some arrest of someone), the relationship between Nidge and Fran (along with the secrets: it will all come out I'm sure but how will they react?), Tommy's situation (will he live/die, find out/not find out about Nidge? Will Siobhan cooperate with the gardai or not?), etc. Minor side stories like Nidge getting rid of the pipebomber, Fran doing the same to Noelie, that prowler who the gardai beat up and what it means to the rest of the story, and Keith Duffy's character's role are all going to aid the main stories too. The Glen/Guinea character I predict somehow will end up ironically like the guy he killed, Wayne.

It also is not entirely clear what will be done with the IRA storyline. The real climax of season 4 came in its fourth episode (episodes 5 and 6 were a lead into series 5 imo) which resolved the IRA issue for that series. Last time we saw them and Nidge, Tony and Nidge had agreed a deal to continue their smuggling and profit sharing arrangement while Tony had arranged Dano's demise. Meanwhille, we saw (in one of Love/Hate's more violent scenes and perhaps to the most innocent victim) IRA girl Lizzie lose it and beat a poor car driver to death with a mini jack or chisel type implement. Will Tony, Lizzie or the other IRA (who killed Dano) feature again or is it to be assumed that Nidge and Tony have set up a permanent arrangement?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭kaisersuzy

These papers follow the filming around it seems. That is exactly how they can be so accurate with their info every time. I will refrain from reading the papers' articles about Love/Hate if possible. But, last year it was hard to: Dano, Debbie and Wayne predicted accurately to die every time.

Series 5 will focus obviously on issues such: as an increased garda effort to close in on Nidge and the gang (a shootout between both sides is inevitable imo as is some arrest of someone), the relationship between Nidge and Fran (along with the secrets: it will all come out I'm sure but how will they react?), Tommy's situation (will he live/die, find out/not find out about Nidge? Will Siobhan cooperate with the gardai or not?), etc. Minor side stories like Nidge getting rid of the pipebomber, Fran doing the same to Noelie, that prowler who the gardai beat up and what it means to the rest of the story, and Keith Duffy's character's role are all going to aid the main stories too. The Glen/Guinea character I predict somehow will end up ironically like the guy he killed, Wayne.

It also is not entirely clear what will be done with the IRA storyline. The real climax of season 4 came in its fourth episode (episodes 5 and 6 were a lead into series 5 imo) which resolved the IRA issue for that series. Last time we saw them and Nidge, Tony and Nidge had agreed a deal to continue their smuggling and profit sharing arrangement while Tony had arranged Dano's demise. Meanwhille, we saw (in one of Love/Hate's more violent scenes and perhaps to the most innocent victim) IRA girl Lizzie lose it and beat a poor car driver to death with a mini jack or chisel type implement. Will Tony, Lizzie or the other IRA (who killed Dano) feature again or is it to be assumed that Nidge and Tony have set up a permanent arrangement?

This was more than accurate, they had a picture of the scene as it happened beside the headline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

they were filming in Raheny this week, any idea what is planned in the coming days?

wouldnt mind seeing a bit of it in the flesh.

This was more than accurate, they had a picture of the scene as it happened beside the headline

These ruin it for the viewers. Clearly, I am going to try and avoid all these papers (that's if I can) until after Love/Hate 5 is finished.

I don't want to be reading stuff like 'Fran has Noelie clipped in prison' or 'Nidge takes out the pipe bomber in Liverpool' or 'Dano survived and is back to surprise both Nidge and Tony' or 'Moynihan shoots Elmo and Ado' or whatever (disclaimer: none of these are spoilers and are made up by me and not representative of what actually will happen).

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

The video seems to show
    Fran getting his fingers smashed under the orders of Nidge who looks on.
    :eek:

Cant wait for this to start.

Advertisement