Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car rental orlando?

Options
  • 28-12-2013 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭

Will be going to orlando in Sept 2014 and have hotel and flights sorted but was just wondering about renting a car with my visa debit as i dont have a CC, so was just wondering if anyone knows of companies that take visa or has anyone here used theirs to rent a car in orlando.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have but it was a few years back.

Google Orlando car rental companies and try to book it using the website, you will be asked for your card number then.
    There may be some extra fee or deposit involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

:confused:

You have ten months to get a credit card...

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

InTheTrees wrote: »
    :confused:

You have ten months to get a credit card...

:cool:

this is just a wild guess right...................the op DOES NOT want a credit card

Anyway,to the op, I was in Orlando in July and my aib visa debit was fine,i used thrifty and even though their reviews were a bit bad I had no probs at all.
    They said they would hold €500 on the card but they never actually did.I used the one in the terminal which was a bit of a trek on a train but got it sorted.
    Have you been before?any other info u want let me know,
    oh one other thing DON'T let them up sell you on the car,you'll always get a decent size car even if it's economy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

this is just a wild guess right...................the op DOES NOT want a credit card

Anyway,to the op, I was in Orlando in July and my aib visa debit was fine,i used thrifty and even though their reviews were a bit bad I had no probs at all.
    They said they would hold €500 on the card but they never actually did.I used the one in the terminal which was a bit of a trek on a train but got it sorted.
    Have you been before?any other info u want let me know,
    oh one other thing DON'T let them up sell you on the car,you'll always get a decent size car even if it's economy

You're damn right i dont want credit card:-), thanks for your input ill check out thrifty, did you tell them in advance that you where using a visa or did you just go ahead and use it?

Fair enough I suppose. Living in the US I guess its more or a requirement. I held out for almost twenty years without one until I was left stranded in Minneapolis Airport after having my debit card refused. It seems to go state by state and company by company.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

it's almost impossible to rent a car without a credit card. If you try with a debit card they run a credit report on you, which they can't do if you aren't resident - you'll probably be refused.

I have a credit card purely for hotel deposits (even if you prepay a hotel, they still usually want a scan of a credit card) and car rental. I have peace of mind knowing when I need a car/hotel everything is quick and painless, instead of going from car company to car company hoping it'll work.

My suggestion is to get a credit card and just be disciplined to use it only for those purposes.

FixitFelix wrote: »
    You're damn right i dont want credit card:-), thanks for your input ill check out thrifty, did you tell them in advance that you where using a visa or did you just go ahead and use it?

I told them,i rang them and I actually booked through a European company(possibly irish),can't think of the name right now

it's almost impossible to rent a car without a credit card. If you try with a debit card they run a credit report on you, which they can't do if you aren't resident - you'll probably be refused.

I have a credit card purely for hotel deposits (even if you prepay a hotel, they still usually want a scan of a credit card) and car rental. I have peace of mind knowing when I need a car/hotel everything is quick and painless, instead of going from car company to car company hoping it'll work.

My suggestion is to get a credit card and just be disciplined to use it only for those purposes.

this is not the case,they do run a credit check but it's very light,trust me I would not get much with my credit history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

AVIS in California had no issue with me using a Visa Debit a few months ago. Though did bring a CC also just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

If its a big problem just get a prepaid credit card and put a good amount on it. I cant remember but I am pretty sure I used my Ulster bank Visa Debit card for everything without any problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

I visited in September 2013, I used Alamo and successfully booked and paid for car rental using my Visa Debit card. Zero issues. Cheapest car rental I could find and very pleasant and smooth to deal with.

fartyarse wrote: »
    I visited in September 2013, I used Alamo and successfully booked and paid for car rental using my Visa Debit card. Zero issues. Cheapest car rental I could find and very pleasant and smooth to deal with.

Did you tell them you where using it or just go ahead and use it? ?

Thanks

Its important to remember that the USA is a collection of FIFTY separate states. Its a federation of States. And they act almost like separate countries.

Federal Law covers the country and State law covers the states. Some states share their legal "code" with other states some dont.

So Rental agreements may have variations between states. Here in Washington State for instance you can rent with a Debit card as long as you're not a resident.

SO its not safe to assume if you rented from avis/hertz/alamo/national in one state that the same provisions will apply in another state. They may and they may not.

This is why there's usually a charge to drop off a car in a different state to where you rented it and why insurance req's can vary from state to state. And also why its difficult for the Main Websites for the rental companies to cover every variation of law in all 50 states.

The best thing to do is to phone the actual office you'll be renting from and talk to the guy at the rental desk. Not a countrywide 800 number.

OR

just
    get
    a
    credit
    card...

I visited in September 2013, I used Alamo.

Visited where?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Did you tell them you where using it or just go ahead and use it? ?

Thanks

I'm not sure I understand.

I booked the car rental online, by putting in all of my details, driver details, dates and times etc, then paid using my Visa debit card.

Received confirmation via email, printed that out, and brought it along to the Alamo desk in Orlando Airport, got the car, drove it for the holiday, then returned it to the airport.

I'm not sure I understand.

I booked the car rental online, by putting in all of my details, driver details, dates and times etc, then paid using my Visa debit card.

Received confirmation via email, printed that out, and brought it along to the Alamo desk in Orlando Airport, got the car, drove it for the holiday, then returned it to the airport.
    Ok cool sounds good was just making sure you didn't ring them in advance to see if it was ok

Advertisement