Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurs V Stoke 29/12/13

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

irishmover wrote: »
    Watching the recording of the game now. At the 60th minute and thus far (re Soldado) he has been brutal.

Service is the problem? Give me a break.

Can say ok to Adebayor missing a couple of sitters as he's still not quite at match fitness but Soldado now has not got any excuses.

His finishing is the problem, but he's not been poor, he's stretching defences out of shape and has no problem linking up and passing. The goals will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Dembele has an amazing knack of being able to shield the ball, it is almost impossible to take it off him. Good to see him scoring today, hopefully many more to come.

He uses his upper body very well when shielding the ball. I think he is going to kick on to become a great midfielder. He should be getting lots of goals with his ability to beat players

Apparently Paulinho was throwing some serious samba shapes, can't wait to see MOTD..

Some GIFs here
    http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/paulinho-pulled-off-some-ridiculous-skills-for-spurs-in-3-0-win-over-stoke-gifs/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

His finishing is the problem, but he's not been poor, he's stretching defences out of shape and has no problem linking up and passing. The goals will come.

So this will be the new defensive excuse for him now that service isn't an issue? Bit tame.

I wish he'd hurry the **** up and start banging in these goals everyone's talking about as we'll definitely need it if we want to catch the top 4.

Sergei Rebrov missed sitters just like Soldado. I don't think people gave him a half a season to prove himself did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I know stoke looked terrible yesterday but I'd put down a part of that down to how good spurs played.

So many times this year teams like Newcastle have come and taken points they shouldn't have it was refreshing to see a team putto the sword when they deserved to be.

• Advertisement

So this will be the new defensive excuse for him now that service isn't an issue? Bit tame.

I wish he'd hurry the **** up and start banging in these goals everyone's talking about as we'll definitely need it if we want to catch the top 4.

Sergei Rebrov missed sitters just like Soldado. I don't think people gave him a half a season to prove himself did they?

The alternative until we replace him is Defoe who never looks up to pass and just thumps the ball straight at the goalie 95% of the time. Look at Soldados touch maps, he's linking up everywhere and contributing all over the pitch. I wouldn't write Soldado off just yet, when we're playing better, with confidence, he'll get goals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Soldado has played 19 games, scored 10 and had 4 assists. And we're having a bad run at the moment. The goals will come, the chap is class.

By comparison, Rebrov scored 15 in 75 games. No comparison.

Nice one, Eriksen was very unlucky not to tuck away the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Ah I see, that's why he came off after 62', Adams is a knuckle dragger!

Good write up on Dembele's stats here (what is that Hatch fella talking about:P) http://www.squawka.com/news/2013/12/29/spurs-15m-dazzler-completes-97-of-his-passes-as-tottenham-destroy-stoke/2013122948190?

Good to see Fryers getting a run out at LB, should of happened a long time ago considering our lack of cover in this area. Heard Naughton had a solid game too in his natural RB position.

:D

agree on Fryers, great to see him feature, a little small for centre half maybe but defo an option to back up Rose.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spursman11

How long more do we have to look at Charlie Adam maiming players in the Premiership especially Spurs players?,Paulinho out til February,no sanction from FA.We need Paulinhos quality to win games.Lamela is coming and will hit form before the season is out.
    onwards & upwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Is Paulinhio's injury confirmed?

SuprSi wrote: »
    Is Paulinhio's injury confirmed?

Alan sugar tweeted it
    https://twitter.com/Lord_Sugar/status/417762363085819904

Soldado has played 19 games, scored 10 and had 4 assists. And we're having a bad run at the moment. The goals will come, the chap is class.

By comparison, Rebrov scored 15 in 75 games. No comparison.

How many penalties?

Baffled by how so many people can still defend him. Particularly after the sitters yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

How many penalties?

Baffled by how so many people can still defend him. Particularly after the sitters yesterday.

Since when dont pens count as goals too?
    Ronaldo's scored 18 la liga goals this season 5 of them have been pens.Take the penalties out and you might as well say that the (probable) best player in the world has had a mediocre La Liga season so far.....
    10 goals in 19 apps is a goal every 2nd game,He's well on his way to become the 20+ goal a season striker that we needed.Yes he will miss chances,All strikers do.Adebayor missed a sitter too yesterday and no ones slates him.The main thing is that unlike the start of the season he is now getting into the goal scoring positions.

Since when dont pens count as goals too?
    Ronaldo's scored 18 la liga goals this season 5 of them have been pens.Take the penalties out and you might as well say that the (probable) best player in the world has had a mediocre La Liga season so far.....
    10 goals in 19 apps is a goal every 2nd game,He's well on his way to become the 20+ goal a season striker that we needed.Yes he will miss chances,All strikers do.Adebayor missed a sitter too yesterday and no ones slates him.The main thing is that unlike the start of the season he is now getting into the goal scoring positions.

5 goals in 16 league appearances. 5 goals in 3 Europa league appearances.

4 goals in the league from the penalty spot.

Comparing Soldado to Ronaldo? Seriously.

Unlike the start of the season we now expect Soldado to be firing on all cylinders. He's had his time to bed in and after the amount of sitters he missed against Stoke he's got a hell of a lot of convincing to do for me to not call him the penalty king. As that in a nutshell is all he is. A guy who can score penalties. And well, miss a load of sitters too.

I already mentioned Adebayor in an above post. The guy has barely played football for how long now? I'll give him a month or two before slating him. Oh by the way, those two goals he scored against Southampton in his first game this season was twice the amount of goals Soldado scored from open play all season. Says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Not comparing to him to Ronaldo in any way,Just stating the fact that a goals a goal no matter how its scored and he's got 10 so far.He's vastly improved since being paired up with Adebayor and you could see that he's more involved in each game since.He was praised to the hilt last night on MOTD2,Crossed the ball in for Ade for the pen which he scored,He also crossed for lennons goal which Ade got the slight touch on.He's not firing on all cylinders but he's getting there.
    If Soldado gets 20 goals this season (and i'm sure he will) i'll be well pleased.Judge him at the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Soldado will most likely get a lot more goals. Like others said he hadn't been getting the service all along and recently he has and missed. Maybe now is his bad patch while still getting used to EPL.

RVP was on fire early last season but went on a run of games without a goal ( seven r eight I think, big fat guess). People expecting Soldado, Lamella and other players coming from outside the EPL and play with a bunch of strangers and be an instant big hit had hopes too high. Its a work in progress that will come together.

I am one of those fans who got excited with all the new buys and expected too much too soon. No point getting annoyed cos I expected too much.

A little bit of patience is all that is needed.

How many penalties?

Still defend him? What planet are you on mate? If you honestly think we should sign a striker for €25m and then banish him after the squad has a poor first half to the season then you're deluded.

As far as comparisons go, you're the one that suggested he might be Rebrov Mk II. Soldado scored 82 goals in the last three seasons at Valencia. Pretty sure the Ukranian League is a cut below La Liga.

Still defend him? What planet are you on mate? If you honestly think we should sign a striker for €25m and then banish him after the squad has a poor first half to the season then you're deluded.

As far as comparisons go, you're the one that suggested he might be Rebrov Mk II. Soldado scored 82 goals in the last three seasons at Valencia. Pretty sure the Ukranian League is a cut below La Liga.

Its one treatment for Soldado and another for the rest of our summer signings? Not to mention practically every other player at the club getting called every name under the sun up until now yet Soldado for some reason is among the only ones whose gotten a free pass from most fans on here.

A month ago when I made the point he's not been cutting it people have been saying it's because of the service. Fair enough, I left it at that. A month on he's gotten the service and has done nothing with it apart from a couple of assists and some penalties (just imagine last season when we got no penalties). He's a centre forward not a support striker.

Now a new excuse has developed. How many more excuses will I have to see before he starts scoring regularly?

Soldado is not the first person any spurs fan has 'banished' for having a poor start to the season. I think you'll find it happens time and time again, mostly for good reason too. But in some cases (Bale and Modric) they come back to surprise everyone.

The Rebrov argument is a good point, but still using Ronaldo as an example that scoring penalties is ok was a bit silly.

I want all our summer signings to succeed including Soldado but I'm not gonna pipe down and be quiet and accept that it takes players time to fit in after half the season is through. Out of all our summer signings he's had the most play time with little return.

One of the main reasons I'm critical of him is because he's supposed to be the guy to fire us to CL football next season. He needs to start banging in those sitters in 2014 for that to happen.

Paulinho out for four weeks.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Doesnt matter, we'll probably be starting with 4 completely different players in midfield tomorrow anyway:rolleyes:

Doesnt matter, we'll probably be starting with 4 completely different players in midfield tomorrow anyway:rolleyes:

Well we are well stocked in midfield. OTOH many of you slated HR for fielding the same team week in week out until they got injured. Can't win!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

Paper talk this morning that Real Madrid want him in January.

I say snap their hand off

golfball37 wrote: »
    Paper talk this morning that Real Madrid want him in January.

I say snap their hand off

Just like most of our signings I don't want to see him leave. He hasn't shown his form just like Soldado, Eriksen, Lamela etc that he's shown before joining the club. Just when we got a glimpse of what he could do for club he gets an injury. Couldn't come at a worse time.

I highly doubt a fully fit Paulinho will leave in January let alone an injured one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Well we are well stocked in midfield. OTOH many of you slated HR for fielding the same team week in week out until they got injured. Can't win!

Who'd be a manager eh!

On a slightly different note.

I think we can all agree, yet again, Charlie Adam proved he is a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Its one treatment for Soldado and another for the rest of our summer signings? Not to mention practically every other player at the club getting called every name under the sun up until now yet Soldado for some reason is among the only ones whose gotten a free pass from most fans on here.

A month ago when I made the point he's not been cutting it people have been saying it's because of the service. Fair enough, I left it at that. A month on he's gotten the service and has done nothing with it apart from a couple of assists and some penalties (just imagine last season when we got no penalties). He's a centre forward not a support striker.

Now a new excuse has developed. How many more excuses will I have to see before he starts scoring regularly?

Soldado is not the first person any spurs fan has 'banished' for having a poor start to the season. I think you'll find it happens time and time again, mostly for good reason too. But in some cases (Bale and Modric) they come back to surprise everyone.

The Rebrov argument is a good point, but still using Ronaldo as an example that scoring penalties is ok was a bit silly.

I want all our summer signings to succeed including Soldado but I'm not gonna pipe down and be quiet and accept that it takes players time to fit in after half the season is through. Out of all our summer signings he's had the most play time with little return.

One of the main reasons I'm critical of him is because he's supposed to be the guy to fire us to CL football next season. He needs to start banging in those sitters in 2014 for that to happen.

Soldado has come from Spain, is now 4 months playing in the premier league. Even a blind man can see his recent improvement. He is contributing to our team. His main task like every other player is to win games. As a striker we expect goals and I believe they will come. If they do not well someone else will replace him. I may be wrong but I think Soldado would have been a bigger success had he gone to a team like city where he would have got more quality chances from the start and boosted his confidence.

Bringing in players from other leagues is always a risk as it may take time for them to settle, some don't.

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Soldado has come from Spain, is now 4 months playing in the premier league. Even a blind man can see his recent improvement. He is contributing to our team. His main task like every other player is to win games. As a striker we expect goals and I believe they will come. If they do not well someone else will replace him. I may be wrong but I think Soldado would have been a bigger success had he gone to a team like city where he would have got more quality chances from the start and boosted his confidence.

Bringing in players from other leagues is always a risk as it may take time for them to settle, some don't.

Yeh I can appreciate all that but what my issue is, Why is Soldado getting this special treatment? Historically, what Striker has spurs fans given this sort of treatment to?

'Recent improvement' you mean passing the ball and missing sitters! It didn't take much to improve on from his form under AVB that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Yeh I can appreciate all that but what my issue is, Why is Soldado getting this special treatment? Historically, what Striker has spurs fans given this sort of treatment to?

'Recent improvement' you mean passing the ball and missing sitters! It didn't take much to improve on from his form under AVB that's for sure.

Special treatment is going to Soldado because he has a history of being a prolific striker. Ade got his chance last year and Defoe got a number of chances. Neither did anything. We spent near €30m on Soldado, and that was for a reason. In the 5 seasons before he came to Spurs he was the tenth top scorer in Europe, ahead of the likes of Gomez, Rooney, Aguero, Suarez and Falcao, and only one behind Negredo, who is doing so well at City.

He deserves the opportunities he's getting because 1. Ade and Defoe have had theirs, and 2. the above. Form is temporary, class is permanent. He'll come good, just like Lamela will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I'm not saying they have to play every game of the season but new players need game time, and not 60 mins every 2-3 weeks or a 15 min cameo every other week when the game is already a dead rubber. They need a few games on the trot to get into some sort of form and even after they have established themselves they should be playing 2 out every 3 games approx.

Advertisement