Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Disgusting" food

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭lau1247

Chicken feet, i'm gonna let that 'stew' a little :pac:

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

lau1247 wrote: »
    Chicken feet, i'm gonna let that 'stew' a little :pac:

They're actually very tasty in a soggy pork crackling kind of way, but, like tripe, how do they get them so clean. I'd be more bothered about the bleaching than that they are chicken feet.

I do see the point above about slimy mushrooms, I'd rarely eat them in slimy state (stir frys mainly) so it's hard to always remember, but the flavour of a grilled portobello or a fresh mushroom soup is hard to beat. My OH refuses to even try a raw pooky in a salad :(

When I saw the first comment about jelly, I thought 'meat jelly', 'yummy terrines', but I'm now thinking they meant 'strawberry gello'. :(

Yeah they are quite nice but most people just get the turn off the moment they hear about chicken feet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Cedrus wrote: »

When I saw the first comment about jelly, I thought 'meat jelly', 'yummy terrines', but I'm now thinking they meant 'strawberry gello'. :(

Yes, I meant jelly as in jelly and icecream or jello if you are from the US. I am fine with the jelly that comes from meat or in pork pies or stuff like that.

My mother said that when I was very little my father was feeding me jelly and I choked on it quite badly. I assume that is why I hate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I think a lot of it is cultural, also if we're introduced to things young, we're less disgusted by them! (My baby son loves olives, for example, I hated them at first!)
    Moving to France made me try a lot of different foods that would have disgusted me before (eg blue cheeses, goats cheese, oysters, frogs legs, snails, tongue, etc). The French still widely eat pretty much everything but the squeak and the tail of the animal, I think!
    The only thing I really do not enjoy is tripe. I have tried it and the taste and the smell makes me feel sick (not the idea of it). I'll eat pretty much anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 lisatu

My husbands cousins loves chicken feet in a meat jelly. She once made it with 50 chicken feet and ate it all herself.

Neither of my kids like jelly be it meat or sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I tasted the most VILE andouillette while on holidays a few years ago. I don't know if it was old or what, but the bang of pi$$ was overwhelming. If I want to vomit I just remember eating it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

olaola wrote: »
    I tasted the most VILE andouillette while on holidays a few years ago. I don't know if it was old or what, but the bang of pi$$ was overwhelming. If I want to vomit I just remember eating it.
    Well quoting wikipedia: "True andouillette is rarely seen outside France and has a strong, distinctive odor related to its intestinal origins and components."
    It's exactly why I can't eat tripe or anything based on tripe like andouillette.

I have never heard of it before but from the BBC food website
    not to put too finer point on it, it absolutely stinks and we're not talking good stink. It reminds me of the gentlemen's toilet in a Hanoi cafe I used to frequent. There was no toilet, just a wall. Enough said. And that's what Andouillette smells like. A bad toilet.
    It all makes sense when you know what it's made from - a pig's colon. As Wikipedia puts it: "The aroma is due to the pig colon (chitterlings) utilised in the sausage, which incorporates some of the same compounds that contribute to the odour of excrement."
    Alors... would you eat a sausage that requires a clothes peg? Believe it or not, the sausage tastes pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Animord wrote: »
    I have never heard of it before but from the BBC food website

Yup, that about sums it up. It's probably an acquired taste. Not sure if I'm willing to put in the effort. I think I've tasted it before and I don't remember it being that stratospherically offensive - but that time... Oh ye GAWDS!

• Advertisement

olaola wrote: »
    Yup, that about sums it up. It's probably an acquired taste. Not sure if I'm willing to put in the effort. I think I've tasted it before and I don't remember it being that stratospherically offensive - but that time... Oh ye GAWDS!

It sounds like you'd really have to put your back into acquiring that particular taste :p

Surströmming

Can't say i have tried it or know much about it but saw it on some tv documentary, yer man took the challenge to eat it and puked his lungs out after taking a sizeable bite. I'd say the smell must be really off putting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I will have to stop reading this thread.:) I looked up the fish and sausage and actually feel sick. I think the fish repulsed me more because I kept thinking about the slimy texture as well. Oh god :o

I read on Wiki that some food critic wrote "the biggest challenge when eating surströmming is to vomit only after the first bite, as opposed to before". Sounds absolutely vile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

I've only had andouillette once, in a restaurant in Lyon (which is the home of andouillette as far as I am aware). I thought it was really nice, it came in a mustard sauce and was quite similar to white pudding/sausage and had no unpleasant smell whatsoever!

Advertisement