Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

This game runs fine on my 4 year old laptop (i5 M460 and a GT 420M). I have almost everything set to low but it still looks ok, I didn't think it would run smoothly at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Gf picked this up for me as a gift because she knew I was dying to play it.

Downloaded and set it up on my PC with the intention of playing for maybe 2 hours before getting an early night for work.
    7 hours later I stopped playing.

Brilliant game, mixing the best of Batman and Assassins Creed. Well worth it.

She paid €27 for the main edition from Gamers Outlet, got the key code within 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I wish the game had some of the pounding score and themes from the LOTR trilogy though instead of its own original soundtrack.

The game has a poor soundtrack in fairness. Thats my only nitpick. Love the game....might get the season pass once all its story DLCs are detailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,744 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I wish the game had some of the pounding score and themes from the LOTR trilogy though instead of its own original soundtrack.

The game has a poor soundtrack in fairness. Thats my only nitpick. Love the game....might get the season pass once all its story DLCs are detailed.

To be honest, if I get the platinum before Borderlands TPS comes out on Friday, I'll probably trade this off against it. Really enjoyed the game but the story did absolutely nothing for me, so I've no real urge to wait for story DLC. Would definitely buy a sequel, but will probably skip the DLC for this.

Only the Level 25 rune and freeing 30 slaves trophies to get. Neither as easy as they sound unfortunately.

Penn wrote: »
    Only the Level 25 rune and freeing 30 slaves trophies to get. Neither as easy as they sound unfortunately.

The Caragor/Slaves one was easy enough on the 2nd map, I just kept going until it popped, 2 attempts and I got it.

The Rune one I found hard, do not use Death Threat and that seems to lock the rune to be dropped as Epic, a lvl 25 rune will not be dropped if you issued a death treat ever to that Orc/Uruk.

• Advertisement

The Caragor/Slaves one was easy enough on the 2nd map, I just kept going until it popped, 2 attempts and I got it.

The Rune one I found hard, do not use Death Threat and that seems to lock the rune to be dropped as Epic, a lvl 25 rune will not be dropped if you issued a death treat ever to that Orc/Uruk.

My main trouble is finding an Uruk with good weaknesses to exploit. Best way to avoid it being an Epic Rune seems to be letting other Uruks or a Caragor strike the killing blow, while exploiting a weakness at the same time.

My main trouble is finding an Uruk with good weaknesses to exploit. Best way to avoid it being an Epic Rune seems to be letting other Uruks or a Caragor strike the killing blow, while exploiting a weakness at the same time.

Fear of Caragors and weakness to Arrow head shots would be ideal.

I just tried it with loads of Uruks and it wasn't happening, I eventually got it on a guy who had a fear of caragors and killed him while riding one with the bite move.

Fear of Caragors and weakness to Arrow head shots would be ideal.

I just tried it with loads of Uruks and it wasn't happening, I eventually got it on a guy who had a fear of caragors and killed him while riding one with the bite move.

Yeah. Found one who would have been ideal and was trying to level him up by letting him keep killing me. F*cker lost some of his weaknesses as he levelled up though.

Yeah. Found one who would have been ideal and was trying to level him up by letting him keep killing me. F*cker lost some of his weaknesses as he levelled up though.

You only have to know their weakness and exploit/activate one, so fear of burning, fear of wasps, fear of anything, as long that scene pops (might not even need to pop)...

Do they have to have a fear and weakness to Caragors or Fire to get that +1 one your rune, I'm not 100% sure on that part.

Well, take a Lvl20 Uruk
    +2 for Warchief
    +1 for exploiting Weakness
    +1 for revenge
    +1 for Intel
    Should give a Level 25. But like I said, I think the trick is to exploit a weakness that means you don't kill them yourself, to avoid getting an Epic Rune, so one with a fear of Caragors but who might not flee or doesn't have the strength where they can kill them quickly. It's a tough enough balancing act.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Ah don't be fooled by this make a note of what that was, my lad was weak to stealth finishes which was why I chose him , got him to war chief and it was gone from the list yet I was still able to take him out with a stealth finish and claim the lvl 25 rune.

You can definitely kill them yourself, but damage them with the weakness during the combat.

calex71 wrote: »
    Ah don't be fooled by this make a note of what that was, my lad was weak to stealth finishes which was why I chose him , got him to war chief and it was gone from the list yet I was still able to take him out with a stealth finish and claim the lvl 25 rune.

I had one like that too, and it was perfect, was above him ready to kill.

Trigger and Y I pressed for a Brutalise, not a stealth kill.

Sickened I was.

Had to start all over again with a lvl 12 captain.

Boom! Platinumed!

Took about 4 Warchiefs as they kept dropping epic runes, but got the Lvl25 rune in the end. Then the liberating 30 slaves was easy enough in the second area (had been trying the Black Road in the first area yesterday).

Think I'll trade it off against Borderlands. Great game, but the trials and story dlc don't really interest me enough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Is it worth paying a few quid more for the Dark Ranger dlc? All i can found about it is that you can fight some captains before the game?

Nevermind, didn't bother getting the dlc as i'm not a fan of challenge modes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Below is all spoilers so only read if you finished the game
    What was up with the ending? bunch of qtes and then its over?
    Really disappointed I was expecting some big epic battles with all the captains I controlled.

Black hand fight* if you'd call it that was a piss poor ending imo. For the game itself really enjoyed it, but really the only decent boss battle was the first guy, not the tower the other person can't recall his name.

The tower fight was also dumb, he sees you, he disappears and starts looking for you? why bother why not just fight?

Also I could of sworn their was suppose to be more then 2 areas
    I think they said 3 ( could be my imagination ) but only 2?

really let me down the end of this game, worth the money for the gameplay but my god that ending just annoyed me. Possibly a lay up for another game seen as its doing quite well.
    But it seems as if they said "right thats enough for this story, if it sells well we will continue it"

But other then them little rants, its a solid game and hopeful of a second one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Below is all spoilers so only read if you finished the game
    What was up with the ending? bunch of qtes and then its over?
    Really disappointed I was expecting some big epic battles with all the captains I controlled.

Black hand fight* if you'd call it that was a piss poor ending imo. For the game itself really enjoyed it, but really the only decent boss battle was the first guy, not the tower the other person can't recall his name.

The tower fight was also dumb, he sees you, he disappears and starts looking for you? why bother why not just fight?

Also I could of sworn their was suppose to be more then 2 areas
    I think they said 3 ( could be my imagination ) but only 2?

really let me down the end of this game, worth the money for the gameplay but my god that ending just annoyed me. Possibly a lay up for another game seen as its doing quite well.
    But it seems as if they said "right thats enough for this story, if it sells well we will continue it"

But other then them little rants, its a solid game and hopeful of a second one.

If you go back 2 or 3 pages I had the same issue with the ending... others tried to justify it but for me
    a QTE Boss
    does no cut it,
    an actual fight with QTE elements ok but a purely QTE boss
    :confused: I mean the whole thing was building
    to you being more and more powerful and embracing the wraith so I felt it would have been more suitable to have show that and demonstrated it on the black hand

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

Halfway through, and have to say this is an absolutely fantastic game to play. Just good old fun, only halfway through the game yet. I enjoy all the nemesis missions and have almost cleared the first section of collectables and side missions. Ratbag is definitely my favourite character :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Midkemia wrote: »
    Halfway through, and have to say this is an absolutely fantastic game to play. Just good old fun, only halfway through the game yet. I enjoy all the nemesis missions and have almost cleared the first section of collectables and side missions. Ratbag is definitely my favourite character :pac:

Shadow of Midkemia would have been a better game.... just like the books were better

I'll get my coat :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

Cormac... wrote: »
    Shadow of Midkemia would have been a better game.... just like the books were better

I'll get my coat :pac:

I think the market for that is probably dead by now :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I've come across an issue, one that has plagued me with many games.

I'm at the final mission, the progress tracker proves it, and I don't want to do it. I don't want to finish this game because I've enjoyed it so much, and yet I REALLY want to finish.

This is a serious issue.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I've come across an issue, one that has plagued me with many games.

I'm at the final mission, the progress tracker proves it, and I don't want to do it. I don't want to finish this game because I've enjoyed it so much, and yet I REALLY want to finish.

This is a serious issue.

Great thing about open world games, they never finish. You get thrown back into the world when it's over to do everything else that's left over.

The Nemesis system and messing around with it is almost more fun than the story anyway

The Nemesis system and messing around with it is almost more fun than the story anyway

It definitely is, I wish they would remove the level cap on the Orcs/Uraks though, let them get game breakingly impossible beat in a new game + mode!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Loving this game but a question to anyone that has finished it. Is there any real point in continuously doing the Power Struggle missions. As soon as you complete all the available ones on the map, 3 more appear and round and round we go with no real benefit with the exception of getting some +Power.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I find them handy at first, but after a while I just ignored them to let the captains level up so that a) they're a bit more of a challenge when I'm way overpowered, and b) to get better runes.

Yeah think I will just focus on the main missions now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Enjoying the game just finished the first area there now, but there is one captain who I can't for the life of me beat. He is immune to stealth and ranged, and os also a combat master so immune to finishers and combat attacks, he is a vault breaker so can't jump over him and has a shield which I can't seem to break so can't seem to damage him. His only weakness is fear of burning but anytime I set him on fire by exploding a campfire he seems to go out straight away. I don't really need to kill him but there must be some way of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Enjoying the game just finished the first area there now, but there is one captain who I can't for the life of me beat. He is immune to stealth and ranged, and os also a combat master so immune to finishers and combat attacks, he is a vault breaker so can't jump over him and has a shield which I can't seem to break so can't seem to damage him. His only weakness is fear of burning but anytime I set him on fire by exploding a campfire he seems to go out straight away. I don't really need to kill him but there must be some way of doing it.

Have you tried a shadow strike and see if that injures him?

Also is his shield made of wood? If so you should be able to shoulder bash it to break it.

Alternatively what you could do is keep doing aerial stealth drops on him (or shadow strikes if they do injure him) until he is low health.

Also have you unlocked the fire arrow skill? Shooting him with one should get him panicked if he is afraid of fire and negate his immunities.

cruizer101 wrote: »

Some of the battles are very very annoying in it alright. I hate the fact that more and more and more and more Uruks come while trying to kill even a low level captain. The effort that goes in to killing 20+ just to get a shot at the captain only to have 20 more come along gets very annoying. So like assassins creed in this sense, you end up just having to run away using the exact same climbing move set as assassins creed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

logik wrote: »
    Some of the battles are very very annoying in it alright. I hate the fact that more and more and more and more Uruks come while trying to kill even a low level captain. The effort that goes in to killing 20+ just to get a shot at the captain only to have 20 more come along gets very annoying. So like assassins creed in this sense, you end up just having to run away using the exact same climbing move set as assassins creed.

Why kill the 20+? Ignore them, and go for the captain. You can take one down in about 7 seconds. Once he's dead, the rest flee in fear.

Advertisement