Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Kirby wrote: »
    Why kill the 20+? Ignore them, and go for the captain. You can take one down in about 7 seconds. Once he's dead, the rest flee in fear.

You have no choice but to take some of the smaller ones out before you can get clean strikes on the captain. Also they don't always flee, usually half of them will run but plenty stay to attack you after. Well that is what I have found anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It's a lot easier to ignore the mob and just concentrate on the captain. They wont be able to hit you if you are quick and it's worth remembering you have invincible frames while vaulting over orcs.

The only ones you have to worry about are the hunters, as they sit on the fringes of the fight and lob spears. Kill them first and none of the melee guys pose a threat so you can concentrate on the captain.

Alternatively if you have the skill unlocked where you can use two combat finishers in a row, you can take our over 20 orcs in one go. Work a combo streak to around 30 hits. A+X to stun them all, followed by X+Y to kill the massive group. It works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Cravez wrote: »
    Have you tried a shadow strike and see if that injures him?

Also is his shield made of wood? If so you should be able to shoulder bash it to break it.

Alternatively what you could do is keep doing aerial stealth drops on him (or shadow strikes if they do injure him) until he is low health.

Also have you unlocked the fire arrow skill? Shooting him with one should get him panicked if he is afraid of fire and negate his immunities.

Shadow strike I havn't tried actually, must give that a go.

Has metal shield, immune to stealth so aerial drops don't work. Also the fire arrow because he is immune to ranged doesn't work.

He may just be one captain that ends up living, I mamaged to kill the warchief he was bodyguard for anyway, without having to kill him. I thought I might be able to get him then because he started fleeing, but Istill didn't seem to be able to grab him or that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I found on a site where someone had posted their various save files at different stages so I am back playing this again and have just started the second stage

https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilter/?url=https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ft4xpcvzgm0ymqn/AADU7l3wAEhkTPVTsdnoBQmEa?dl=0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Shadow strike I havn't tried actually, must give that a go.

Has metal shield, immune to stealth so aerial drops don't work. Also the fire arrow because he is immune to ranged doesn't work.

He may just be one captain that ends up living, I mamaged to kill the warchief he was bodyguard for anyway, without having to kill him. I thought I might be able to get him then because he started fleeing, but Istill didn't seem to be able to grab him or that.
    Just because their immune to stealth finishers doesn't mean it wont damage them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

My PS4 copy arrived today. It was sealed but I could hear the disc was loose.

I opened it up to find a 700mb CD-R.

WTF.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Hears6

Keno wrote: »
    My PS4 copy arrived today. It was sealed but I could hear the disc was loose.

I opened it up to find a 700mb CD-R.

WTF.

pics r gtfo, where'd you get the game from? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

My birthday is approaching in 2 weeks, my sis said she'd get me a PS4 game.
    Which should I go for:

Shadow of Mordor (I like Batman games and LOTR)
    Alien Isolation (never played an Alien game)
    TLOU Remaster (never played original, I liked new Tomb Raider and Uncharted Series)
    Diablo 3 Ultimate Edition (I like couch co-op and BL2)

(I'll already definitely be getting Far Cry 4 as i have a €5 pre-order against it)

Sorry for repeat posts in each thread, I didn't want to create a decicated thread for something so small

Hears6 wrote: »
    pics r gtfo, where'd you get the game from? :pac:

I'm not gonna bother as I could eeasily slip in a CD-R if I had one (I actually don't even have one in the bloody house!)

It was bought from Amazon. I'm contacting them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Cormac... wrote: »
    My birthday is approaching in 2 weeks, my sis said she'd get me a PS4 game.
    Which should I go for:

Shadow of Mordor (I like Batman games and LOTR)
    Alien Isolation (never played an Alien game)
    TLOU Remaster (never played original, I liked new Tomb Raider and Uncharted Series)
    Diablo 3 Ultimate Edition (I like couch co-op and BL2)

(I'll already definitely be getting Far Cry 4 as i have a €5 pre-order against it)

Sorry for repeat posts in each thread, I didn't want to create a decicated thread for something so small

Shadow of Mordor and Last of Us I thought were fantastic games. Not played the others yet. I think the last of us is about £25 on amazon and mordor is
    going for about €40 second hand and about €45-50 delivered from uk. I'd say Alien is good but sounds frustrating enough, I'll wait for it to get cheap.

Keno wrote: »
    I'm not gonna bother as I could eeasily slip in a CD-R if I had one (I actually don't even have one in the bloody house!)

It was bought from Amazon. I'm contacting them now.

A replacement will be here Thursday or Friday. Amazon have fantastic customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

if there is an activation key it is probably used as well

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

What's the story with captains coming back to life? I killed one of them 3 times and he kept coming back. Do you have to kill higher level ones a certain way to make sure they don't come back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Sorry to hear about that Keno but man I got some laugh from that.

How the hell did they manage that!

tok9 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about that Keno but man I got some laugh from that.

How the hell did they manage that!

I was flabbergasted when I opened it. The thing was perfectly sealed from what I could tell.

I'd say it was an employee at the factory who put the disc in before it was wrapped. Maybe there is a weighing system implemented when they leave the assembly line.

They could have at least given me a Blu Ray RW disc like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

What's the story with captains coming back to life? I killed one of them 3 times and he kept coming back. Do you have to kill higher level ones a certain way to make sure they don't come back?

Lob his head off with a combat finisher, though personally I came to love them coming back, remembering everything that had happened and becoming stronger and stronger. One guy I could barely recognise by the time we had finished our 4th fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmfNQp3f-FI

Very funny video of a streamer having unprecedented problems taking down a warchief.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

100% completed and it took 30 hours 29 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

People are saying about just go for the captain all the time...but it doesn't work.

I have 1 guy......the last of 4 people you have to kill...the main captains....and he is surrounded by about 60 orcs at any time and a few captains.
    He blocks basic attacks, he blocks the X+Y attack, he blocks the stun.
    He can't be killed by stealth, is enraged by everything else....I've died a load of times to him.

I don't know if it's that I don't have enough info on him yet or that I'm not at a high enough level....I haven't really bothered with any of the main missions except Gollum twice....basically I'm getting that Orc up the ranks...and the part I'm at is to Kill 4 Captains or Generals or whatever they are. Killed 3 easy....but this guy made me rage.

I even went so far as to try headshot him about 20 times, but it was taking so long, and took so little health off him it wasn't worth it.
    Then I went and stealthily killed nearly everyone in the vicinity....but as soon as we had to fight......infinite orcs came and just kept smashing into me with shields, spears, arrows....

• Advertisement

SeantheMan wrote: »
    People are saying about just go for the captain all the time...but it doesn't work.

I have 1 guy......the last of 4 people you have to kill...the main captains....and he is surrounded by about 60 orcs at any time and a few captains.
    He blocks basic attacks, he blocks the X+Y attack, he blocks the stun.
    He can't be killed by stealth, is enraged by everything else....I've died a load of times to him.

I don't know if it's that I don't have enough info on him yet or that I'm not at a high enough level....I haven't really bothered with any of the main missions except Gollum twice....basically I'm getting that Orc up the ranks...and the part I'm at is to Kill 4 Captains or Generals or whatever they are. Killed 3 easy....but this guy made me rage.

I even went so far as to try headshot him about 20 times, but it was taking so long, and took so little health off him it wasn't worth it.
    Then I went and stealthily killed nearly everyone in the vicinity....but as soon as we had to fight......infinite orcs came and just kept smashing into me with shields, spears, arrows....

Have you unlocked the branding ability yet? If not I would suggest going further into the story until that is unlocked. Then maybe brand a lower, yet still powerful captain and ensure some form of betrayl ensues. This will distract the captain you are trying to fight and sometimes you can set up ambushes which remove his entourage from the battle altogether.

Be creative :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Corvo wrote: »
    Have you unlocked the branding ability yet? If not I would suggest going further into the story until that is unlocked. Then maybe brand a lower, yet still powerful captain and ensure some form of betrayl ensues. This will distract the captain you are trying to fight and sometimes you can set up ambushes which remove his entourage from the battle altogether.

Be creative :D

I think he has to complete this before he'll unlock it. It sounds like the mission where you have to kill the 4 warchiefs in the 1st area. He won't progress until he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

no weaknesses you can exploit? or he afraid of anything?

Deano7788 wrote: »
    I think he has to complete this before he'll unlock it. It sounds like the mission where you have to kill the 4 warchiefs in the 1st area. He won't progress until he does.

True, could be that actually.

Can you jump over him and stun from behind?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Ok, i decided to ask for this for my Birthday now :)

Cormac... wrote: »
    Ok, i decided to ask for this for my Birthday now :)

You won't be disappointed I don't think. Very good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Deano7788 wrote: »

It's this guy here

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/23968940563915415/BB881BA6CD20E3AA58D6F349F1A00357C05EC3A3/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Easy ,Just shadow strike him, run away and rinse and repeat or go head to head and damage him on your execution streaks.

Faced a lad like that during the week and I had to brand him all the time while fighting the swarms of orcs, ended up killing him by accident with an execution because of all the lads around him. I just branded and a captain and had him go for the promotion.to me delight all he had to do was kill a caragor.i killed it and he got the promotion to war chief :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,745 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Start off with a shadow strike. Then from behind him keep stunning and hitting a few times in a flurry (but not enough to finish the flurry or Combat Master will kick in), then stun again.

It'll be hard to get him alone to focus on him. Try leading him away from others. Looks like he'll track you down but his gang might not.

He definitely has a fairly lethal combo of strengths. Can see why you're having trouble with him.
    Easy ,Just shadow strike him, run away and rinse and repeat or go head to head and damage him on your execution streaks.

Execution streaks don't work on Combat Masters. Save the streaks for any other uruk/orcs who get involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Luck has a lot to do it too. I had to kill one Warchief in Durthang, but as I attacked him two other Captains (not his bodyguards) joined in, plus maybe 40+ Uruk and several caragors. I spent ages attacking/fleeing/trying to isolate the Warchief but eventually died.

A bit later I was wandering by the same area and stumbled across the same guy. Killed 2 or 3 Uruks, then finished him off simply.

Moral of the story, when things are going really badly.. run.

Advertisement