Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Lamposts wrote: »
    Loving this game so far. Is it free roam once you finish it?

Was wondering that too. I want to get on with the story but also don't want to leave anything behind :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,744 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Lamposts wrote: »
    Loving this game so far. Is it free roam once you finish it?

Yup. Free roam, side missions and the whole nemesis system keeps going after you finish the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

Not meant to look that great either on last gen.

Bought it on x360 for the GF, and it looks awful. Looks like they rushed it out without a single flip given, the textures are awful, completely flat and fail to render. It really seems like a Beta stage game. I understand it's intended for next gen but Alien Isolation was too, and that looks amazing on the 360.

Anybody else experienced this on last gen?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I finished it 100% Last night after getting 25ish hours worth, extremely enjoyable I must say. Would love a sequel which ironed out a few of the smaller issues but overall a great game. My biggest complaint was unlocking branding so late in the game as this was much more fun in the 2nd area than the 1st. Pity completing the sword, dagger and bow legends actually had no impact on the weapons themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭Glebee

Ive a good completed in the second area and im just bored of this game, might give it a rest, played too much of it over Christmas..:D

• Advertisement

Glebee wrote: »
    Ive a good completed in the second area and im just bored of this game, might give it a rest, played too much of it over Christmas..:D

You'll probably be finished in 2 or 3 hours :P

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Cormac... wrote: »
    I finished it 100% Last night after getting 25ish hours worth, extremely enjoyable I must say. Would love a sequel which ironed out a few of the smaller issues but overall a great game. My biggest complaint was unlocking branding so late in the game as this was much more fun in the 2nd area than the 1st. Pity completing the sword, dagger and bow legends actually had no impact on the weapons themselves.

The fact they only unlocked branding later in the game is what made it a good game imo.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah it got waaay too easy after that...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Cormac... wrote: »

do you reckon 25 hrs is about the average time to complete the game? I bought in in the sales over christmas but I'm making myself finish wolfenstein and Far cry 4 before I get stuck into it.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its an open world so you can either focus on the main story missions in which case you could be done in 12 hours I reckon, easy... or you can arse around like I did and do a lot of the side missions. Took me 27 hours to finish it. Tbh, rushing it would be a shame as the world is really well realised and so cool to be in.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    The fact they only unlocked branding later in the game is what made it a good game imo.
    DeVore wrote: »
    Yeah it got waaay too easy after that...

I spent a little too much time in the 1st area killing guys so was probably a bit over levelled by the time I reached area 2. It just kind of felt like I did 75% of the game pre-branding, all I'm saying is I wish it was more like 60% in. Maybe it was just the pace at which I played the game (spending most of my time in Mordor)
    do you reckon 25 hrs is about the average time to complete the game? I bought in in the sales over christmas but I'm making myself finish wolfenstein and Far cry 4 before I get stuck into it.

I did a lot of messing around to stretch it to that long. You could probably get 100% completion in 15 hours. I was trying to clear all the captains and warchiefs in the 1st area which really was an exercise in futility :pac:

All in all, it's a fun little game you'll probably finish it in 3 evenings sittings. Far Cry is more like 50 hours worth of content IMHO so maybe much that on the back burner if you're looking to play this instead

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeh I just flew through the story arc and got to the branding roughly 50% into my time so it felt right for me. Still, regardless, it's a nice little 'surprise' to have during the game. Keeps things from getting repetitive.

I'm also looking forward to going back and doing this:
    If you bind everybody to you, you can slaughter them all at once.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

A quick question I've been going around raping orcs for what feels like ages, and everytime i die , the guys i've killed just keep getting replaced , at what point do you start making progress

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

you only make real progress continuing the storyline missions

Do the main quests and the side quests, you get nothing for just grinding orcs. Discover things, release slaves, interrupt Orcy events and do the main missions and you will start to unlock talents and abilities.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I quite like the way they made you do story missions to unlock all the things. I'm playing through Far Cry 4 at the moment and I am at a total loss as to what I'm supposed to be doing as there is literally no instruction about progressing story or anything of the sort. I've already unlocked a significant chunk of the regular weapons and Signature weapons, as well as the radio towers and enemy outposts. I've also only got 2 or 3 animal skinning jobs to finish too - all this progress and I only managed to find the second story mission last night.

The open world stuff is there if you want it, but the game is all the better for making you complete story to get character perks.

I agree.... but if memory serves, you can get points to buy new talents and skills from doing more than just the main story... (they do unlock the main skill upgrades though).

I like that in the game I could go do something specific if I wanted to , of if I just fancied goofing around looking for stuff to mark off the map, that also garnered me some useful meta game stuff...

By and large I avoid the "lets fight with 20 orcs" as much as possible, preferring to slip away and come back when things were less hot. Also, thinning the herd with bow (which I massively specced into and which is well OP :) ) works great too...
    Any war chief who wasn't immune to arrows... wasn't have a great day in my world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I just popped this in my PS4 for the first time. Turns out there is an 8.19GB patch for it.

What the hell is in this thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

I just popped this in my PS4 for the first time. Turns out there is an 8.19GB patch for it.

What the hell is in this thing?

The DLC I think

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

the new celimbror dlc sounds ace. think I'll wait for a steam deal or goty as I traded my xboxone copy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Really enjoying this at the minute. Flew through the first few missions but have enjoyed just killing captains and war chiefs for the last couple of days.

Game really comes into itself when you are fit to jump into the middle of 20 or 30 orcs and take them on.

wait till you start to view 5 orcs as "focus refills"... its great craic to just run past them, stealth killing one, shooting two in the head in slow mo, and then branding or draining the others. I loved it, kept thinking... mmmm tasty snack for the Mordor vampire! :)

By the end I was beginning to see things from the orcs pov, I was an absolute serial killer and far worse than anything on their side :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The new The Bright Lord DLC is out now. A lot more story and focused based than the Wild hunt which was poor.

I haven't played it yet but apparently its more of the same stuff from the campaign, which is fine with me. Really enjoyed this the first time around. :)

I would buy the season pass but the first crappy DLC put me off and its 30 Dollars... which means to break even they have to produce at least 2 more DLC packs of this latest quality (presuming its good). I'm sceptical about that and also, about prepurchasing anything in the PC games industry any more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

DeVore wrote:
    I would buy the season pass but the first crappy DLC put me off and its 30 Dollars... which means to break even they have to produce at least 2 more DLC packs of this latest quality (presuming its good). I'm sceptical about that and also, about prepurchasing anything in the PC games industry any more 

its about 22e for steam key game plus pass on CD keys. don't seem to have the pass only though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Am i the only one that doesn't feel that keen on this?

Played about 7-8 hours and while it was fun at first its gotten kind of boring quickly.

I'm at the part where
    you have to kill 4 warchiefs.
    Does it get any better from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I'm about ready to give up on this already. I've played about an hour and a half now and just had to switch it off in frustration. I can't seem to walk more than a few steps without running into a Captain. And without fail one or two more Captains will always join the fight too. Throw in a few extra goons and I just get killed pretty quickly.

Am I doing something wrong or is it supposed to be like this? It is doubly frustrating as one of the Captains is an archer who normally hits me from offscreen before I know he is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I'm about ready to give up on this already. I've played about an hour and a half now and just had to switch it off in frustration. I can't seem to walk more than a few steps without running into a Captain. And without fail one or two more Captains will always join the fight too. Throw in a few extra goons and I just get killed pretty quickly.

Am I doing something wrong or is it supposed to be like this? It is doubly frustrating as one of the Captains is an archer who normally hits me from offscreen before I know he is there.

That has been my experience in the last few hours were playing. Tried to kill a warchief last night and 3 captains showed up. Managed to kill one, then another had me almost dead but decided to spare me and as i confronted the war chief the third got involved but ran away after i killed the warchief.

It is really annoying after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

Cause of the randomisation of the captains, the difficulty curve can be pretty severe in the beginning alright (downright unfair tbh). But it gets better as you start to get some imba skills under your belt imo.

Might be a tough ask, but I'd try and get into the second area before deciding to drop it or not - I think it really picks up once you get there

Advertisement