Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Multi fuel Insert stove

• 28-12-2013 8:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi there.does anyone know the price of an insert stove for a small sitting room? Im in the kilkenny area. Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

It would really depend on a lot of factors, boiler/non-boiler, matt or enamel, kw output required, brand name or Chinese import, etc.

I have the Stanley Cars Insert non-boiler enamelled. I paid €999. Stanley include the flue spigot & reducer, so factor in that as an add on for other makes.

In Kilkenny, try Chadwick's, Heatmerchants, Young's, The Fire Centre, Rowe's Hardware, Connolly's in Bagnalstown generally best any price for Stanley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Does it have to be an insert stove?

I got below little Stanly Oisin 6kw stove installed a few weeks ago for the sitting room, stove cost 400, parts and fitting 200 euro. 600 euro all in.

As seen in the pic below, it's really small, can fit on a standard size hearth and 16" inch fireplace.

2hrn3vd.jpg

http://www.stoveshop.ie/products/waterford-stanley-oisin-matt-black-stove-voucher.html

Got it in the local co-op store.

Great stove, really happy with it.

Deadly heat out of it too, I have a small enough sitting room, 18 feet by 15 feet and the room is over 30c after two or three hours, I have to open the door and let heat out the hall, get's very warm.

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Does it have to be an insert stove?

I got below little Stanly Oisin 6kw stove installed a few weeks ago for the sitting room, stove cost 400, parts and fitting 200 euro. 600 euro all in.

As seen in the pic below, it's really small, can fit on a standard size hearth and 16" inch fireplace.

Got it in the local co-op store.

Great stove, really happy with it.

Deadly heat out of it too, I have a small enough sitting room, 18 feet by 15 feet and the room is over 30c after two or three hours, I have to open the door and let heat out the hall, get's very warm.
    You must have a minimum of 250mm of non-combustible hearth in front of the stove to meet regulations & home insurance. Extreme fire risk if a hot coal falls out on your carpet.

shane0007 wrote: »
    Extreme fire risk if a hot coal falls out on your carpet.

They will take care of it, no worries :pac:

f1bcj4.jpg

I guess you haven't lit many fires in the stove so! They can & do fall out when shuffling a log in place, etc.
    Perhaps I wonder why the regulation is there in the first instance & why insurance companies use it as an excuse not to pay out...

• Advertisement

shane0007 wrote: »
    I guess you haven't lit many fires in the stove so! They can & do fall out when shuffling a log in place, etc.
    Perhaps I wonder why the regulation is there in the first instance & why insurance companies use it as an excuse not to pay out...

Using it almost everyday, nothing that's on fire has fell on the carpet yet.

I am gentle putting in coal and logs, don't just fire them in.It has fire bricks and don't want to break them.

It's tidy little stove and I don't over fill it.

Thanks for your advice though, I didn't know about that regulation.

I will get a little guard that I can put on the carpet when I am filling the stove, saw them in B&Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Using it almost everyday, nothing that's on fire has fell on the carpet yet.

I am gentle putting in coal and logs, don't just fire them in.It has fire bricks and don't want to break them.

It's tidy little stove and I don't over fill it.

Thanks for your advice though, I didn't know about that regulation.

I will get a little guard that I can put on the carpet when I am filling the stove, saw them in B&Q

I don't think its regs in ire but it should be! I followed the uk regs for installing our 2 stoves myself. Also the stove manufacturer also usually include it in the installing instructions. We had a 5 kW similiar to yours and are careful also though u will always get stuff fall out! Interesting about the insurance co getting in on it though! Maybe it will make stove installers become more regulated and not take the piss as they have done with some friends who also got stoves in! All did the same as your guy with no hearth in the font of the door! Crazy stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭dripple

Thats a really nice one. Has given me another option now. It fits well.whats it with down draft? ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

f1bcj4.jpg

Exactly. i have a stove 8/9 years and never had the clearance mentioned. Seriously do you think that you couldnt pick up a hot ember or bit of coal if it fell out? anyone who has an open fire all there lives would be used to dealing with this all there lives. an open fire is far more of a fire hazard where embers often spark out onto a carpet... the stoves are locked shut 99% of the time if something falls out onto the floor when your at it pick it up and put it back in and close the door again ffs. Some people just love trying to find things to pick out that could be dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

fozz10 wrote: »
    Exactly. i have a stove 8/9 years and never had the clearance mentioned. Seriously do you think that you couldnt pick up a hot ember or bit of coal if it fell out? anyone who has an open fire all there lives would be used to dealing with this all there lives. an open fire is far more of a fire hazard where embers often spark out onto a carpet... the stoves are locked shut 99% of the time if something falls out onto the floor when your at it pick it up and put it back in and close the door again ffs. Some people just love trying to find things to pick out that could be dangerous.

Dont be so quick to knock such advice. You may not want to hear it or obey it, but isn't it good to know what the regs or best practice is. Last thing we want on this forum is people withholding such advice in case it provokes adverse comments.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    Dont be so quick to knock such advice. You may not want to hear it or obey it, but isn't it good to know what the regs or best practice is. Last thing we want on this forum is people withholding such advice in case it provokes adverse comments.
    did someone just say its regs in uk not here? If its practical then yea fine but im just saying it shouldnt stop someone getting a stove in or having to go with an insert because of it. were all adults and its not even an issue if you be realistic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

did someone just say its regs in uk not here? If its practical then yea fine but im just saying it shouldnt stop someone getting a stove in or having to go with an insert because of it. were all adults and its not even an issue if you be realistic?

The Irish building regs state that the hearth must be a min of 225 in front of a closed appliance and 300 in front of a open fire.

People spit on the street when it against the law but they still do!
    My point being, the regs are there for a reason, whether you choose to obey them is upto you.
    The downside if you don't, you may pick up an infection if you touched something that had somebody else's saliva on it & your home insurance would be void if you didn't notice the small bit of hot coal that fell out just before you left the room. Unfortunately, it burned the house down & now they won't pay out, just because the installer or DIY'er didn't know the correct regulation for this country.

If you disagree with such a harsh regulation, that is there for the safety of the occupier, you could voice your discontent to the DoE.

no intention of voicing any discontent with anyone. someone was saying they were happy with their stove being close to the edge of the hearth. I'm simply agreeing and that from my experience its not an issue. stoves have been around for years, long before every tom dick and harry decided they were a stove "installer". putting a non boiler stove in is a diy job once you have someone to give u a lift with it, its not rocket science. you get instructions with them like anything else you buy. however a boiler stove is a plumbers job and not something to be messed with. I take your point on the house insurance issue, however I was raised with open fires and see stoves way less of a fire hazard.

stoves have been around for years, long before every tom dick and harry decided they were a stove "installer". putting a non boiler stove in is a diy job..........its not rocket science. you get instructions with them like anything else you buy....,,,,
    however I was raised with open fires and see stoves way less of a fire hazard.
    If they are so easy why are so many fitted incorrectly even with the instructions?
    Why is the correct ventilation requirement not calculated & installed?
    Why are so many fitted with no vent whatsoever in the room?

If it is a DIY job & they are so easy to install, why are the correct hearths not fitted. It's all clearly written in the MI's!

The reason is because they are easy to install for somebody who knows how to fit them properly. Too many people think they know what they are doing & if they can lift it in, well then it's that simple. They forget about the correct parameters that must sit prominently over the installation, such as the correct amount of air for combustion, the correct flue arrangements, the correct regard for combustible surfaces, etc.

Advertisement