Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on web hosting

Options
  • 28-12-2013 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question to those with experience with web hosting.

I took out a hosting for a new .ie domain last night around 23:00. I was advised in an email that it would take between 24 to 72 hours before my new domain was propagated to the DNS servers on the Net.

Does anybody haev any idea how long this typically takes? Will this be 24 to 72 hours as and from Monday Morning or will this have been started already?

I know it's not even been 24 hours yet, but I still cannot access my site by it's domain name, without adding an entry to the hosts file on my laptop (windows).

Using the host file edit I am able to access my WP admin console and the site, but from mobile devices I still cannot which I suspect is a DNS issue as I can use the IP Address/~username combination to access the site. However the site does not display as expected, the images don't load :( and I am not sure if this is down to the DNS issue or something else

As always, any and all input will be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Assuming you have everything set up correctly, it usually in my experience takes a number of hours (<12), rather than days.

But it does vary quite a bit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Was the domain name also registered yesterday?

Do a google search for DNS propagation check, use any of them to rule out your local ISP being slow to update.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Goodshape wrote: »
    Assuming you have everything set up correctly, it usually in my experience takes a number of hours (<12), rather than days.

But it does vary quite a bit.

I was wondering if there would be a dealy as I ordered the hosting at around 23:00 on a Friday night. I am wondering if I will have to wait until Monday morning until a Human does the necessary to start the ball rolling on the DNS propagation or whether it would be handled automatically.
    Graham wrote: »
    Was the domain name also registered yesterday?

Do a google search for DNS propagation check, use any of them to rule out your local ISP being slow to update.

I registered the domain dublinarchers.ie

Just checked the propagation for "dublinarchers.ie" & www.dublinarchers.ie" with
    So do I take it nothing has been done with this yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

dublinarchers.ie isn't registered, but does have a registration pending. Have you supplied the relevant documentation to the IEDR via your registrar?

.ie domains are a manual process, and the IEDR are on holidays

testicle wrote: »
    dublinarchers.ie isn't registered, but does have a registration pending. Have you supplied the relevant documentation to the IEDR via your registrar?

.ie domains are a manual process, and the IEDR are on holidays

I was asked as part of the registering process to provide a choice of documentation and I chose my passport number, which I supplied.

So I guess I just have to have patience and wait, something I am not very good at :o Any idea when the IEDR are back to work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

2nd Jan - then give it a few days extra to propagate and you're sorted
    The IE Domain Registry will be closed from 5:30 pm on the 23rd December until 9:00 am on the 2nd January 2014

gctest50 wrote: »
    2nd Jan - then give it a few days extra to propagate and you're sorted

Well sod them anyway :mad:. I thought I was the only one who had holidays like that :D:D

Oh well, patience it is so.

Thanks all for the responses, they are very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

I was asked as part of the registering process to provide a choice of documentation and I chose my passport number, which I supplied.
    You might be asked for more documentation or some kind of letter about what you intend doing with the domain name as a passport number might typically be used for personal domain name registrations.

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If you're looking for a .ie domain to be issued in the discretionary category, you will almost certainly be asked to submit additional supporting documentation. If you get this together in advance you'll speed up the process when the IEDR does return after the holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

The IE Domain Registry will be closed from 5:30 pm on the 23rd December until 9:00 am on the 2nd January 2014

Wow, that really isn't something I'd like to have learned the hard way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,623 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Wow, that really isn't something I'd like to have learned the hard way.
    In fairness, if you're in a position where that's an issue, you've made a bigger mistake somewhere along the way

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement