Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substandard Vodafone Broadband Service.

Options
  • 28-12-2013 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

I joined Vodafone at home broadband i think at the start of 2013 and since i did i have had nothing but poor internet service. I have never had consistent speeds, i pay for 5mbps which is a joke anyway in this day and age, at best i get 2.0-2.5 mbps on a very good day. I live 30 feet across the road from the Eircom exchange and my line was installed new only four years ago so it is up to date. I have never had an issue with my house phone so i know the line is ok, i have had regular issues with poor download speeds and dropped signals on my home broadband service though.

I even got two brand new Vodafone routers at the start of 2013 from Vodafone and ended up sending both back as i lost internet completely when using them. I went and got a brand new Eircom router and have had no issues with the router since. Please please stop trying to tell me it's my router that is wrong, it is not, i have had it checked and the router is fine. It's the delivery of broadband from Vodafone that is the issue.

Yet again i went through the loop with Vodafone tech services today due to the speeds i have posted below. Kept telling me it was my router and did not like it when i said it was not. I have had this now since the beginning of 2013 and i am sick and tired of it. Please Vodafone get your stuff sorted, i need good internet for college and if this is not sorted soon i will be switching to a more reliable provider.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3188990742

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3189319477

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3189675252

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I had trouble initially when I got Vodafone broadband, the connection kept dropping, slow speeds etc.

Discovered the problem was with a transmitter I had inside the house (transmitting TV signal to TV upstairs), they were both using similar frequency so I changed the channel on the router and the problem disappeared. Might be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭deadman1972

Agreed Roanmore and thanks, however i don't any TV in the house, all i have is the landline and with that it is a dual socket so even though there is only one box on the wall the phone and internet each have their own seperate outlets, no splitters used. I have no other transmitters in the house at all so it can't be that but thanks for the heads up, they might try to pull that one on me yet, would not put anything past them at this stage.:)

Take a look at the the Vodafone forum, might get some help there.

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1270

Got a text today off them to say service issue fixed, the fook it was, just in door and its still 0.5-0.8mbps. If that is Vodafone's version of fixed i hope that don't own any hospitals is all i will say. At least test the blasted thing before telling me ye have it sorted FFS. Unfortunately where i live UPC is not available, my only options are Vodafone/Sky/Eircom.

Unfortunately i can only register with the Vodafone forum if i have a mobile phone account with them, apparently my home phone and broadband is not good enough.

Did you follow the link, it's on Boards not Vodafone. Vodafone have reps answering questions there.

• Advertisement

Roanmore wrote: »
    Did you follow the link, it's on Boards not Vodafone. Vodafone have reps answering questions there.

Yes Roanmore i actually posted there before i posted here, no answer so far, maybe next week ?:(

FYI Vodafone this is not what fixed looks like either.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3197236468

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

FYI Vodafone this is not what fixed looks like either.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3197236468

Have you tried a non provider router? maybe worth a shot to have a mate call over with one if they have one and see how it fairs then.

It might be worth doing the following

Log on to IP address: http://192.168.1.1

User account:
    Username: vodafone
    Password: vodafone

Click on Wifi on the left hand side

Change the channel number to say 13 (probably on auto)

See how that goes

hallo dare wrote: »
    Have you tried a non provider router? maybe worth a shot to have a mate call over with one if they have one and see how it fairs then.

Yes i have tried that also and still no good, good point none the less thanks. One thing i know it is not is the router despite Vodafone tech telling me it is, i have had the router tested independantly, it was only got this year 2013, and the router is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Grand, is it only wifi you're using? did you try testing over ethernet?

All testing hhas been done beside the router with an ethernet cable no longer than six feet(2 metres). Roanmore at this stage and i kn ow where you are coming from i am not changing any settings and give them any excuse to say it is my fault, i have that little faith in them tbh. Besides i shouldn't have to change anything anyway, its down to them to fix it, but i do know where you are going with what you said, i am not going to risk giving them ammunition though, thanks anyway :D

It was Vodafone suggested it to me and it worked.

Roanmore wrote: »
    It was Vodafone suggested it to me and it worked.

At this stage Roanmore i just want them to fix it or admit that they can't so i can go elsewhere. I have adjusted and fiddled with settings enough this past year with these jokers, enough is enough, if their service was up to spec i would not have had to do that. Plus it really pisses me off that i am 30 feet away from the exchange direct line of sight and all and i still cannot get good internet.:o

Spoke to Eircom this evening and they tell me my line is only capable of transmitting up to 2mbps, not even going to get into that one right now, so i said ok what can you do for me if i switch back to ye ? This after i explained what had been going on with Vodafone from my point of view. Upshot is i am paying 50 euro at the moment to Vodafone for the landline for an up to 5mbps and unlimited download usage.

Eircom can give me the same but 3mbps speed for 50 a month and 40 for the first 6 months, since i can only get 2mbps at most i see no disadvantage to this lower speed, i have been told by those in the know that it will be a year or two before we get even next generation broadband. Therefore unless by some miracle Vodafone actually wake up fix their service i will be with Eircom by end of January i reckon.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You won't see much, if any, of a difference to speeds switching providers on NGB because they all use the eircom lines.

Sully i am currently with Vodafone and am thinking of switching back to Eircom, neither of these offer NGB where i live, i am still on the old DSL setup and will be for a couple of years yet i reckon. I understand what you are saying though but my other theory is that at least by switching back to Eircom even though i am not gaining any extra speed that when a problem occurs they would be more inclined to fix it faster for one of their own customers, also i live 30 feet from the exchange where i live.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

At those crap speeds I wouldnt be tying myself into a contract with anyone , unless was ultra cheap and 40-50 a month for that is not , ps Eircom won't do any better for their own customers than another companys , that's delusion ,

rasper wrote: »
    At those crap speeds I wouldnt be tying myself into a contract with anyone , unless was ultra cheap and 40-50 a month for that is not , ps Eircom won't do any better for their own customers than another companys , that's delusion ,

Well what to do so? have no internet at all ? That will not work for me i need internet for college. Those little internet dongle things are not worth a crap,again too slow, no usable download limit, prone to black spot no signal etc etc.

• Advertisement

Just saying wouldn't be in a hurry to lock into 12 months contract , how's.the speed on the phone

Just saying wouldn't be in a hurry to lock into 12 months contract , how's.the speed on the phone

rasper wrote: »

Not sure i understand, do you mean on my mobile phone ? If so then it is about the same so not very good at all tbh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sully i am currently with Vodafone and am thinking of switching back to Eircom, neither of these offer NGB where i live, i am still on the old DSL setup and will be for a couple of years yet i reckon. I understand what you are saying though but my other theory is that at least by switching back to Eircom even though i am not gaining any extra speed that when a problem occurs they would be more inclined to fix it faster for one of their own customers, also i live 30 feet from the exchange where i live.

Where do you live? At the end of the day, if you get a problem with the line I haven't found much a problem / delay with getting eircom out to fix it (I'm UTV customer). There not allowed favour their own customers and if they do, go the comreg route. There are fines being handed out for this. Don't just go with eircom because you think they will treat you better.

As for living across from the exchange - that doesn't make a difference. It's how the area was cabled and you might be last in the loop. The 'closer to the exchange' is true but its not exactly your physical location. Its the location of the line running back to the exchange and which way it goes.

Sully wrote: »
    Where do you live? At the end of the day, if you get a problem with the line I haven't found much a problem / delay with getting eircom out to fix it (I'm UTV customer). There not allowed favour their own customers and if they do, go the comreg route. There are fines being handed out for this. Don't just go with eircom because you think they will treat you better.

As for living across from the exchange - that doesn't make a difference. It's how the area was cabled and you might be last in the loop. The 'closer to the exchange' is true but its not exactly your physical location. Its the location of the line running back to the exchange and which way it goes.

I live in County Waterford, had not thought about that thing you said about the way things were cabled, never heard of UTV internet provider ? Was just on the phone with Vodafone tech support again and the guy there said something about the socket in my house where the internet is coming from was showing unusually high capacitance whatever that means ? First time i heard any mention of that. He has logged a fault and told me to expect a call from the engineer within the next working week to arrange when he can come to the house to check it out.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Well what to do so? have no internet at all ? That will not work for me i need internet for college. Those little internet dongle things are not worth a crap,again too slow, no usable download limit, prone to black spot no signal etc etc.

Try Total Wireless, I'm on the outskirts of Tramore, I'm getting 7Mb down and 0.75Mb up, ping 45ms and I don't have to pay for a phoneline. It costs me €30 a month.

Try Total Wireless, I'm on the outskirts of Tramore, I'm getting 7Mb down and 0.75Mb up, ping 45ms and I don't have to pay for a phoneline. It costs me €30 a month.

Yes but what is your download usage limit per month on that?:confused:

Yes but what is your download usage limit per month on that?:confused:

No limits but there is a fair usage policy, watching a couple films a night is no problem.

No limits but there is a fair usage policy, watching a couple films a night is no problem.

Ok well what is the limit on that fair usage policy, all ISP's have a limit of some sort even on unlimited bundles, like Vodafone for instance on their unlimited packages have a fair usage policy limit of 250 GB per month. I am only asking because Total Wireless have no information on their site to speak of.

• Advertisement

Ok well what is the limit on that fair usage policy, all ISP's have a limit of some sort even on unlimited bundles, like Vodafone for instance on their unlimited packages have a fair usage policy limit of 250 GB per month. I am only asking because Total Wireless have no information on their site to speak of.

As far as I know there is no limit, my son said something about 500Gb per month. I know if someone was automating movie downloads 24hrs a day they don't consider that fair usage and have the right to kick you off.

€30 per month suits me and I signed up to Blueface VoIP service €10 per month so I could keep my 051 number. Netflix is €7 per month and €4 per month for unblock-us.com for BBC iPlayer and Netflix US. I have Freesat and Saorview; €51 a month for phone internet and tele, happy days

Advertisement