Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your BMI?

• 28-12-2013 11:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭

This should prove fruitful, especially over the Christmas season. Calculate your BMI and insert your result into the poll slots above.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/BMI/bmicalc.htm

This should gauge how obese After Hours is, and I suspect quite a lot of you will subscribe at least to the overweight category.

As for moi, I'm comfortably within the Normal weight category and plan to stay there for a foreseeable future.

So how fat are you AH?

What's your BMI? 105 votes

Underweight < 18.5
    0% 0 votes
    Normal 18.5 - 24.9
    8% 9 votes
    Overweight 25 - 29.9
    66% 70 votes
    Obese > 30
    24% 26 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

My bmi is my body mass index.

YAY!

Do I win a prize?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

Bacon, Mayonnaise and Ice cream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

I'm not sure what weight I am and I couldn't be arsed getting up to weigh myself so I'll just assume I'm overweight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Just about Normal Weight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Don't know what that means but according to your poll I'm normal :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Just about Normal Weight

You mean 'almost overweight' ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

"Waa waa...I'm a weight trainer....waa waa...BMI is a crock of ****....waa....waaa...technically I'm obese, but in real-ity I'm ripped to shreds so I am....waa....waaa etc"

In 5...4...3...2...1

ACTION!

Don't know what that means but according to your poll I'm normal :D

A normal pizzaman? Only in AH...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I suspect quite a lot of you will subscribe at least to the overweight category.

Wow...

"Waa waa...I'm a weight trainer....waa waa...BMI is a crock of ****....waa....waaa...technically I'm obese, but in real-ity I'm ripped to shreds so I am....waa....waaa etc"

In 5...4...3...2...1

ACTION!

I knew someone like you would pop along.

Yes - we all know the exceptions to the BMI rule especially with respect to age and muscle.

However, for the general layperson who, generally, doesn't meet these criteria, it can act as a reasonable gauge as to how obese somebody is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

BMI isnt accurate. I think guys that have BMIs of 35 but are nearly dont have a pound of fat on them. It just a stupid simplified way of measuring fat in the body, that isnt accurate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Yes - we all know the exceptions to the BMI rule especially with respect to age and muscle.

However, for the general layperson who, generally, doesn't meet these criteria, it can act as a reasonable gauge as to how obese somebody is.

Ah no, I was predicting the above. Hencee the quotation marks.

They will appear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

Ah yes.

The Index that classes 5ft 4 bodybuilders with 8% bodyfat as obese.

Incredibly accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

24.3 christmas is killing me should be around 20.

We'll call it carb loading ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

do you even lift brah?

Yeah, Quaterpounders! Boom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

30 apparently, but my waist is 34inches and I have average BF percentage so I take BMI with a pinch of salt. It means nothing and is an outdated way of measuring if someone is overweight or not.

Ah yes.

Incredibly accurate.

midget bodybuilders for the lolz! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

Ah no, I was predicting the above. Hencee the quotation marks.

They will appear.

True - I read it too quick. Take it that it's aimed at those who think what they learned in the only book they've ever probably read, (a BMI one), will brag about how they're the only people in the world to know the shortcomings of the system. But many medical systems have shortcomings as you can't realistically cover every group in society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Haha you got that arse backwards. He's on your side :D

• Advertisement

SV wrote: »
    30 apparently, but my waist is 34inches and I have average BF percentage so I take BMI with a pinch of salt. It means nothing and is an outdated way of measuring if someone is overweight or not.

You're just saying that to reassure yourself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Ah yes.

Incredibly accurate.

well for most people its quite a good indicator. Not for everybody, what percentage of people do you reckon are 5ft 4 bodybuilders with 8% bodyfat?

efb wrote: »
    midget bodybuilders for the lolz! :D

Bodybuilders nonetheless.

• Site Banned Posts: 7 55 Stephen St

I could afford to gain a stone, or lose nearly two stone, and still be in the 'normal' category

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

You're just saying that to reassure yourself :D

It doesn't really bother me, I used to have a waist of 46inches and a BMI of nearly 45.
    If you think I'm going to call myself obese now you've another thing coming ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Cant remember exactly what it was last time and have no idea what I weigh now but the BBC said i best match the democratic republic of Congo so Im guessing Im underweight.

well for most people its quite a good indicator. Not for everybody, what percentage of people do you reckon are 5ft 4 bodybuilders with 8% bodyfat?

Doesn't matter if they're 5ft 6, 8, or 10 with 8% bodyfat.

This index is grossly outdated and should be completely disregarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

You mean 'almost overweight' ...

My BMI of 25-26 also suggests I am over weight. Anyone who knows me will say I am definitely not.

People with a high muscle mass could have a high BMI without having much fat. Its only one aspect of determining health, can easily be inaccurate if used on its own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

I am obese.
    I am unfit, unattractive and unhealthy.

What am I doing about it?

NUTTIN' TOO LAZY

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

SV wrote: »

+1 on this. Found myself taking my BMI far too seriously, stressed me out to an extent. As mentioned above I now take it with a pinch of salt, lots of garlic sauce, a side of onion rings followed by a rich chocolatey dessert. Found that after a few months I just stopped caring about my BMI, best decision I ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

My body is a temple.

A oversized structure that's seen better days and that only aul wans seem to want to worship at these days

Bodybuilders nonetheless.

and I'd give a fcuk, why? A midget Bodybuilder with a Phd, now thats impressive!

Doesn't matter if they're 5ft 6, 8, or 10 with 8% bodyfat.

No, not really. Its a good,simple to understand indicator for the majority of people to understand. Yes it doesn't apply in all cases but in general it indicates if somebody is overweight. Most people who have a high BMI will be overweight, not all.

I am sure most bodybuilders understand that it doesn't apply to them and understand why they should disregard it.

This is exactly what I expected.

The people who say this usually do so with a tone of self-congratulation as if they're the only ones enlightened to the systems shortcomings.

If any of you were knowledgeable about other medical systems currently in use, you'd equally know that it's extremely difficult to cater for every type of group in society. All you can do is offer approximate scales. The BMI is one such scale.

You really don't sound clever saying this and it's about time this stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

anncoates wrote: »
    My body is a temple.

A oversized structure that's seen better days and that only aul wans seem to want to worship at these days

:D:D:D:D:D

and I'd give a fcuk, why? A midget Bodybuilder with a Phd, now thats impressive!

Getting to 200lbs at sub 10% bf is just as impressive in my opinion.

PS: I'm not a bodybuilder in case you're wondering.

I'm not fat, I'm just big boned! And Jessie From Breaking bad has given me one! <3 Netflix!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

I run a weight loss thing at work. Nothing major, we give a few tips, weigh people, give them their bmi. I've lost count of the amount of dangerously overweight people who've insisted to me that bmi is rubbish because the Irish rugby team are all obese by it blah blah blah, they've got a big frame and they'd be anorexics in their ideal range etc. It's headwrecking. Bmi is very flawed but it's not a bad ballpark calculation for your average Joe. It's fairly easy to differentiate between a bmi of 30 due to lots of muscle and a bmi of 30 due to lots of cake

Getting to 200lbs at sub 10% bf is just as impressive in my opinion.

PS: I'm not a bodybuilder in case you're wondering.

Thats nice dear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

pampootie wrote: »
    I run a weight loss thing at work. Nothing major, we give a few tips, weigh people, give them their bmi. I've lost count of the amount of dangerously overweight people who've insisted to me that bmi is rubbish because the Irish rugby team are all obese by it blah blah blah, they've got a big frame and they'd be anorexics in their ideal range etc. It's headwrecking. Bmi is very flawed but it's not a bad ballpark calculation for your average Joe. It's fairly easy to differentiate between a bmi of 30 due to lots of muscle and a bmi of 30 due to lots of cake

Soo true

This is exactly what I expected.

The people who say this usually do so with a tone of self-congratulation as if they're the only ones enlightened to the systems shortcomings.

If any of you were knowledgeable about other medical systems currently in use, you'd equally know that it's extremely difficult to cater for every type of group in society. All you can do is offer approximate scales. The BMI is one such scale.

You really don't sound clever saying this and it's about time this stopped.

It's a fair bit more than a short-coming.

I've numerous friends that have never once set foot in a gym yet have sub-normal bodyfat percentages as verified by DEXA scan.

Yet, the BMI Index indicates they are obese.

The short-comings of this calculator are not restricted to body builders or those who are weight lifters.

Sorry.

I've numerous friends that have never once set foot in a gym yet have sub-normal bodyfat percentages as verified by DEXA scan.

The short-comings of this calculator are not restricted to body builders or those who are weight lifters.

Sorry.

numerous? FB friends or real friends? more that 10?20?30?

Sorry.

You've decided to completely ignore the point of my other post.

Sorry.

well if you have a highly unlikely anecdote about numerous friends which proves your point then that's me convinced.

numerous? FB friends or real friends? more that 10?20?30?

My imaginary friends :rolleyes:

You're trying to legitimise the use of a calculator whose sharp boundaries between normal and obese rest upon a single decimal place.

Logic, not once.

No thank you Jeff.

My imaginary friends :rolleyes:

You're trying to legitimise the use of a calculator whose sharp boundaries between normal and obese rest upon a single decimal place.

Logic, not once.

No thank you Jeff.

How many friends GIVE US A NUMBER!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

20.5 according to that calculator which is in the normal range but I feel I need to gain some weight. I'm 5ft7 and 9st 5lbs. 22 year old male.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement