Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your BMI?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

My imaginary friends :rolleyes:

You're trying to legitimise the use of a calculator whose sharp boundaries between normal and obese rest upon a single decimal place.

Logic, not once.

No thank you Jeff.

For heaven's sake. What don't you get about the phrase 'approximate scale'...does a decimal point reflect approximation? The number is treated in accordance with the other factors involved in the particular individual to provide an approximate state of that persons situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

For heaven's sake. What don't you get about the phrase 'approximate scale'...does a decimal point reflect approximation? The number is treated in accordance with the other factors involved in the particular individual to provide an approximate state of that persons situation.

You're either obese or you're not.

There's no approximately obese.

Circular reasoning...how would you define a person as exactly obese, since you've just stated you're either obese or not. What clinical standard can you apply to make that statement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

slightly obese to morbidly obese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Circular reasoning...how would you define a person as exactly obese, since you've just stated you're either obese or not. What clinical standard can you apply to make that statement?

Body fat percentage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Mine is 20....BMI calculators are a joke though. Calculating body fat percentage is more efficient even though it's harder to get an 'accurate' read. Mine was about 10% last time I checked it.

SV wrote: »
    Body fat percentage.

And what is the criteria for an obese person? Is the measurement of this an approximation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Mines 30.

Im just big boned/genetically a fatty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

efb wrote: »
    I'm not fat, I'm just big boned! And Jessie From Breaking bad has given me one! <3 Netflix!

You are posting a lot.

One could take things from that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

pampootie wrote: »
    overweight people who've insisted to me that bmi is rubbish because the Irish rugby team are all obese by it

Excuses excuses.... it's like saying that nobody should wear red because a small % don't look good in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Mine is 20....BMI calculators are a joke though. Calculating body fat percentage is more efficient even though it's harder to get an 'accurate' read. Mine was about 10% last time I checked it.

I've just done a body fat percentage calculation. Got 10.5 which is just within normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

My imaginary friends :rolleyes:

You're trying to legitimise the use of a calculator whose sharp boundaries between normal and obese rest upon a single decimal place.

Logic, not once.

No thank you Jeff.

Who's Jeff?

It's logical reasoning.

Body fat is a prime indicator of obesity not height to weight ratio.

Your critical thinking is clearly lacking.

It's logical reasoning.

your ideas intrigue me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter, no wait... I'll eat this box of tea cakes instead

It's logical reasoning.

I've never denied that body fat is an important critical indicator for obesity - I concur with that.

My reasoning is that he said "you're either obese or you're not, there is no approximately obese". That statement he made is false. Why? Because it's very difficult to measure the exact body fat % if you're an ordinary clinician, thus the value you assign to the body fat is an approximate %, it might be roughly accurate, but it's not certain enough to be described as exact. Thus, even if you accept the body fat indicator method that he wants, it still leaves you without an exact definition of what separates an obese person from not, and hence you'll always rely on approximations, the very thing he denied. Hence, my critical thinking is working efficiently. :-)

• Advertisement

your ideas intrigue me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter, no wait... I'll eat this box of tea cakes instead

Your attempts at being witty in each post have failed...incredibly.

I actually agree with you here - his unfunny posts are coming across as desperate for 'thanks'

Look how it's done...wretcheddomain hopes this gets thanked just to show how bad he is at being funny...

I've never denied that body fat is an important critical indicator for obesity - I concur with that.

My reasoning is that he said "you're either obese or you're not, there is no approximately obese". That statement he made is false. Why? Because it's very difficult to measure the exact body fat % if you're an ordinary clinician, thus the value you assign to the body fat is an approximate %, it might be roughly accurate, but it's not certain enough to be described as exact. Thus, even if you accept the body fat indicator method that he wants, it still leaves you without an exact definition of what separates an obese person from not, and hence you'll always rely on approximations, the very thing he denied. Hence, my critical thinking is working efficiently. :-)

If you use a calipers to measure fat deposits in 4 areas you can get a far greater 'approximation' of a person's health.

You can do this as you are dealing with FAT directly and not a height to weight ratio that doesn't.

I always take approval best from people with the last two digits from their DOB in their username :rolleyes:

I always take approval best from people with the last two digits from their DOB in their username :rolleyes:

Another epic fail...

• Advertisement

I actually agree with you here - his unfunny posts are coming across as desperate for 'thanks'

Look how it's done...wretcheddomain hopes this gets thanked just to show how bad he is at being funny...

am I 7? thanks mean nothing to me, I'm drunk and I love keyboard warriors get their panties in a bunch about their weight :eek:

If you use a calipers to measure fat deposits in 4 areas you can get a far greater 'approximation' of a person's health.

You can do this as you are dealing with FAT directly and not a height to weight ratio that doesn't.

Yes - that's precisely my point though. It's an approximation.

Now what % is defined as obese?

am I 7? thanks mean nothing to me, I'm drunk and I love keyboard warriors get their panties in a bunch about their weight :eek:

12,800 posts of unwitty monotony.

It should be a banning offence for being so boring.

You're like an annoying daddy long legs flying around two sensible people trying to have a normal conversation...

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I've just done a body fat percentage calculation. Got 10.5 which is just within normal

How did you do it? If it's on the internet then it's not near accurate...the cheapest and still effective way is to get a body fat calipers.

Yes - that's precisely my point though. It's an approximation.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/library/blbodyfatcharts.htm

It may be an approximation but you can't deny it's dealing with the culprit of obesity itself - Fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Normal, just.... :(

Stupid tasty Christmas.

You're like an annoying daddy long legs flying around two sensible people trying to have a normal conversation...

A daddy long legs? You mean a crane fly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How did you do it? If it's on the internet then it's not near accurate...the cheapest and still effective way is to get a body fat calipers.

http://life.gaiam.com/article/how-calculate-your-ideal-body-fat-percentage

I used the formula in step 4 of that link. I only know my waist measurement so can't use the other ones

6-10% is considered bodybuilding standard

11-17% is athletic

18-24% is defined as normal.

24% - ? is overweight

? + is obese.

It may be an approximation but you can't deny it's dealing with the culprit of obesity itself - Fat.

Bodybuilding is more like 1-6%. Athletic is like 7-14%.

• Advertisement

18-24% is defined as normal.

24% - ? is overweight

? + is obese.

I've agreed I think twice in previous posts that it's a prime indicator of the level of a persons obesity.

Here's the problem though. You derided the concept of BMI changing with a decimal place where an overweight changes to obese...but the same thing can be applied to this method. In both cases, we're dealing with approximations and if someone is very low down on the normal scale then they're approximately more obese than a person away. In other words, you can't escape from approximately obese, the very point I was trying to refute.

I think I've succeeded in proving that point. :p

12,800 posts of unwitty monotony.

It should be a banning offence for being so boring.

you have only 430 but i can't be ar$ed reading them to pass a generalisation on...

Bodybuilding is more like 1-6%. Athletic is like 7-14%.

Ye my apologies. Was busy looking for a link when I posted that.

Was trying to do it quickly.

1% is death, not bodybuilding standard. :p

A daddy long legs? You mean a crane fly?

Either way I'd kill it...

Either way I'd kill it...

Who the man! Grr!

I've agreed I think twice in previous posts that it's a prime indicator of the level of a persons obesity.

Here's the problem though. You derided the concept of BMI changing with a decimal place where an overweight changes to obese...but the same thing can be applied to this method. In both cases, we're dealing with approximations and if someone is very low down on the normal scale then they're approximately more obese than a person away. In other words, you can't escape from approximately obese, the very point I was trying to refute.

I think I've succeeded in proving that point. :p

You still haven't responded to what i've implied...

Do you agree that utilising an index (that doesn't deal with fat directly) is not the best way of defining whether a person is obese or otherwise.

ryanf1 wrote: »
    http://life.gaiam.com/article/how-calculate-your-ideal-body-fat-percentage

I used the formula in step 4 of that link. I only know my waist measurement so can't use the other ones

Hmmm yeah that wouldn't be too reliable/accurate I'd imagine but if you worked out as 10.5 then you're almost certainly in great shape and in good health!

If you want the most accurate way of determining BF% go get it done via DEXA Scan.

I suspect quite a lot of you will subscribe at least to the overweight category.
    sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Wow...

Currently 32% of AH subscribe to the overweight category (or greater) so I think my assumption was proven correct. That's quite a sizeable number.

• Advertisement

You still haven't responded to what i've implied...

Do you agree that utilising an index (that doesn't deal with fat directly) is not the best way of defining whether a person is obese or otherwise.

I'll deal with that when you concede that your earlier statement of...
    You're either obese, or you're not. There's no approximately obese.

...is a manifestly false one as elucidated over our discussion of the past few pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

According to this test I am waaaaaay too short

Ye my apologies. Was busy looking for a link when I posted that.

Was trying to do it quickly.

1% is death, not bodybuilding standard. :p

Believe it or believe it not but a guy I know from my gym did the water displacement body fat test and showed me the proper results papers and he was like 2%. The guy is a complete fitness freak though.

Do Fisher Price do Bench Presses?

Do Fisher Price do Bench Presses?

...if they did, they'd be the best bench presses in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

BMI of 32.2 and feel great. Put on about 5 lbs over the Christmas. Am healthy, do an energetic job, don't smoke (but I enjoy secondary smoke :P) and drink plenty red wine.
    Good God, I'm still alive!

• Advertisement

...if they did, they'd be the best bench presses in the world.

thats Carlsberg trademarked dear!

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    BMI of 32.2 and feel great. Put on about 5 lbs over the Christmas. Am healthy, do an energetic job, don't smoke (but I enjoy secondary smoke :P) and drink plenty red wine.
    Good God, I'm still alive!

The realistic way of interpreting this is...

I'm considered clinically obese...
    I smoke...
    I drink a lot...
    I've eaten a sh1tload over Christmas...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The realistic way of interpreting this is...

....a load of people splitting hairs for hours about weight calculation on a Saturday night over Christmas.

anncoates wrote: »
    ....a load of people splitting hairs for hours about weight calculation on a Saturday night over Christmas.

great isn't it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

anncoates wrote: »

I know, it just doesn't get better than this.........

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement