Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever lived/worked in Germany?

Options
  • 28-12-2013 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

My cousin may be getting a contract for 9 months next year. just wondering
    has anyone ever worked or lived in Germany? Just wondering about things like cost of living, transport, accommodation, medicine, food and social life?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

what part of germany, what town or city is your cousin moving to? there are huge differences in the cost of living/accommodation as well as transportation, social life and food between different regions and cities there.
    not sure how the medical part is best organised for a contract thing like that, but i assume your cousin will have to get some health insurance. there must be some websites covering the topic and the german employer should be able to give some advice as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

It will be Heidelberg I checked a few websites ie justlanded and toytowngermany that are helpful. Would be nice to get another opinion from someone who has lived/worked there or a German person.

miss choc wrote: »
    It will be Heidelberg I checked a few websites ie justlanded and toytowngermany that are helpful. Would be nice to get another opinion from someone who has lived/worked there or a German person.

heidelberg...beautiful town (one of the few not destroyed in ww2) and generally great place with a famous old university and all...social life will be super, especially for younger folks, but will be great for all ages...transport should be grand as well...will post if i come across any other useful links..and yes, i am german and have been to heidelberg...

certainly not the cheapest place, i should add, and finding a place to stay could be a tad difficult (all the university students), depending on time of year, expectations and price range...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Yeah was thinking that he would be going mid Jan/Feb so wont tie in with the students looking fortunately. Would probably be looking for a 2 bed apt must suss out areas cant check the town on street view. I was there years ago interailing but wasnt much help I rem it being lovely though with the castle and all the lovely bakeries yum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Irish_germany

Hi, I have been living near Heidelberg for over twelve years. A lovely part of Germany, not far from Frankfurt airport (less than an hour), great public transport, so you dont have to live in city directly.
    Lovely town nearby would be Schwetzingen, or even the big city of Mannheim (330.000 people) is less than 20 mins on train and cheaper re. rent. Quality of life is very high and cost of living cheaper than Ireland.
    Lots of green countryside, great weather, good nightlife, great wine. Can really recommend it. If you dont speak german, heidelberg is a good place to be, as many american soldiers stationed there.

Advertisement