Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best keyboard app

• 29-12-2013 12:10am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking at getting a better keyboard app for my Galaxy SIII. I was using a Nokia Lumia at work for a few months and I found the keyboard excellent. After using it a while, it was able to predict words for me to pick from. I used to send the same text to get information back from head office, and the phone quickly copped on so after the first word typed, it recommends each and every word bang on until the sentence is complete - including smilies!

I use Smartkeyboard Pro at the moment but it's not a patch on the Nokia.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Swiftkey is the best of what I have tried, and it is great at predicting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Swype for me. I used to love swiftkey but over time the predictions got worse and started throwing back random words (especially contact names even if they were rarely used). Swype gives a larger selection if nothing else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Google keyboard does the whole next word prediction thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Google keyboard does the whole next word prediction thing.

Biggest problem with Google Keyboard for me is the lack of long press shortcuts (besides numbers)
    Which makes no sense as they used to be on the AOSP keyboard :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

+1 for Swiftkey

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

coldfire1x wrote: »
    +1 for Swiftkey

Giving it a try there now, not a fan of the keyboard layout. Would prefer no full stop but a wider spacw bar as i always tend to hit the character! Will give it a go tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Swiftkey paid app is the best! They do deals on it every now and again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

SwiftKey is the best I have used. Predictions are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Biggest problem with Google Keyboard for me is the lack of long press shortcuts (besides numbers)
    Which makes no sense as they used to be on the AOSP keyboard :/

It seems to work differently between tablets and phones. On my phone if I hold the full stop the shortcuts to the various characters pop up, but not on tablet. I don't see anything in the options that may change how it works.

I used to have Swiftkey but never felt the need to use it to replace Google's one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I use Kii keyboard and would really recommend it. Full stop was my main issue, I think, and easy access to the main punctuation marks.

I think I just have the free version too, but will probably upgrade soon as I should pay them for the good use I've gotten from this for the last year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Switkey is excellent but whatever way I type, I constantly hit the blasted full stop which is a nightmare. Smartkeypad let met switch the key so it wasn't an issue, but alas, Switkey doesn't. That's why I switched to it from the stock keyboard. It also seems a little, not much, sluggish compared with Smartkeypad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Swype for me. I used to love swiftkey but over time the predictions got worse and started throwing back random words (especially contact names even if they were rarely used). Swype gives a larger selection if nothing else

I'm like you I used swiftkey for a few years but changed to swype two months ago and I find it is great for preditions as well.

I'm like you I used swiftkey for a few years but changed to swype two months ago and I find it is great for preditions as well.

Swype is that craic where you don't type but drag between keys? I remember when Samsung unveiled that in Blanchardstown SC, I was hopeless at it!

Sully wrote: »
    Swype is that craic where you don't type but drag between keys? I remember when Samsung unveiled that in Blanchardstown SC, I was hopeless at it!

I never use it a a swype keyboard I use it as a typing keyboard. I type the first two or three letters and look to see the preditions and they are usually there.

I never use it a a swype keyboard I use it as a typing keyboard. I type the first two or three letters and look to see the preditions and they are usually there.

What about having the full stop on the bottom? Can I move it away? :P

I had a quick look in settings and I don't think you can move the full stop. I used to use swiftkey so I was used to have the full stop in that location.

Advertisement