Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dublin marathon 2014

Options
  • 29-12-2013 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi , im 16 and recently gave up team sports and want to have something to train for and am considering doing the dublin marathon is there an age limit on the marathon and if not does anyone have training advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 gaz200

ya you have to be 18 to enter, you could always join your local athletic club

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Dublin marathon is great, but there are lots of other races and other distances. If you're coming from GAA or football you're a long way from being able to run a good marathon but you'd be better prepared for a shorter distance.Join your local club and they'll help you with your training and find some target races for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Not sure if this is the right thread but have not seen another one set up for this year's event.

I see they are moving the Molly Malone statue for the Luas works

Any update on the changed route yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

blockic wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right thread but have not seen another one set up for this year's event.

I see they are moving the Molly Malone statue for the Luas works

Any update on the changed route yet?

Mr Blockic, your concern for the Molly Malone statue is noted, please be advised that when Dublin City Council move it to its new location, you will be informed.

No update on facebook, just changes to the beginning and end with most of the course unchanged

• Advertisement

The marathon route has to change this year due to the current LUAS works in Dublin City Centre. The route will start on Fitzwilliam Square and end at Merrion Square as per recent years, but it will run along St. Stephens Green towards Meath Street, Lord Edward Street & Parliament Street, taking in City Hall and Dublin Castle - two well-known Dublin landmarks before entering the quays and moving towards the Phoenix Park. The remainder of the course is similar to other years although the race will finish from Mount Street lower towards Merrion Square as opposed to Nassu Street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

sound - little impact so - and no smelly northside

edit : actually I see the bit in the park is extended so the Roebuck Hill comes later in the race and no Trinity loop at the end, it may feel easier as a result?

My first thought was, it will be a little weird running the same route, but everything is further along, Cromwellsfort Road is mile 15 not mile 13, etc
    My second thought was, Clonskeagh :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I'm really liking the new route - goes up through Castleknock and back into the park - kinda have to do it now........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Plenty of big long drags, but most of them come early in the race, so it should be a doddle after that :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Does it make it harder that all the more challenging hills and drags from the old route are now later in the run and are joined by a drag up the length of the park ?

Or easier that after Closkeagh you are closer to home and you have an extra downhill from Castkeknock back ?

It looks slightly hillier overall, but not still particularly hilly.
    More important than ever to leave something for the Clonskeagh section, there will be twice as many people walking there and Milltown.

It's a pity about the finish as rounding the corner at trinity and going up Nassau street really makes it for me. Hopefully the atmosphere will be just as good at the new finish. Hope the previous finish returns though once the works are complete!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

It's a pity about the finish as rounding the corner at trinity and going up Nassau street really makes it for me. Hopefully the atmosphere will be just as good at the new finish. Hope the previous finish returns though once the works are complete!

I believe Nassau St is gone for good as Luas line will pass up here and wouldn't be possible to close it for the required time.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    I believe Nassau St is gone for good as Luas line will pass up here and wouldn't be possible to close it for the required time.

That's a shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

+1 just kopped this. Overall I like the look of it. That stretch up Chesterfield avenue could be a bitch, but it's early and once you get over that there are 3-4 nice fast miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

No O'Connell Street or NCR.

It's a sad day for the Northside...

Sacksian wrote: »
    No O'Connell Street or NCR.

It's a sad day for the Northside...

But a happy day for everyone else! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Merrion Road and Shelbourne Road were always the quietest stretches of the old route. Hopefully the adoring fans will relocate from their former position around Trinity and Merrion Square to the stretches further out along the route. The finish is certainly not as spectator friendly as it used to be. A shame also that the route doesn't run along O'Connell Street, but sure, what can you do?!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

For anyone who usually suffers going up Milltown and Roebuck, at least those hills are now closer to the finish! :)

(That sounded like a good thing in my head before I said it.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

The bridge over the grand canal near the end is a lot nicer as it's not as steep as grand canal street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Bah, first time in 4 years Im not doing it and they change the route to almost go by my front door! Its a conspiracy I tell ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Short little slope at Beggars Bush but literally downhill from there. I think that it will a great spectator friendly finishing straight down Mount St.. It means they can keep people behind barriers all the way with no crossing points. Early miles might be quicker , and a nice downhill bit onto the quays. So it could be a faster course as very few turns early on . New course record guaranteed anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Hopefully OK to post this here, but am looking to book a hotel for 2 nights for the marathon, any suggestions?

Doesn't have to be close to start but should be accessible via luas, taxi etc.
    Looking for something for good value...

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

I agree, loved that stretch the two times i did it, real energy buzz when you need it. The stretch from Northumberland Road will seem very long and straight in comparison. Shame that o'Connell street is gone also.

The Kenyans and Ethiopians will be back, the big cash prizes too (€10,000 for the winner)

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/se%C3%A1n-hehir-welcomes-return-of-elite-to-dublin-marathon-1.1795640

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

PVincent wrote: »
    Short little slope at Beggars Bush but literally downhill from there.

Hardly. After the little slope at Beggars Bush (which will be anything but on the day), once you turn right onto Northumberland Road it's absolutely flat until the finish. Not sure where it is literally downhill on that piece of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

What are the Renault Pit Stops?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Keedowah wrote: »
    What are the Renault Pit Stops?

I could be wrong but it's basically a pit crew that (as quickly as possible) change your shoes, pour lucozade into you and send you on your way

• Advertisement
Advertisement